Husker Baseball

Very well said, on all accounts.. I was at the games with my girlfriend and she (not from Nebraska, just a baseball fan) was commenting on the lack of hitting.. I had to explain to her that we were facing possibly the two best pitchers we will see all year (Jungmann will be great also).. But Cole is an amazing talent.. Getting to see him in person yesterday just reassured that... I didn't get to see him in Omaha last year in person, but his stuff is just...WOW.

Sadly I'll be bowling in Iowa tomorrow and can't be at that game, but I'm hoping the bats will get going a little bit.. Let's get the series, it would be an absolutely HUGE early season win..

Jungmann is a good pitcher, but I don't think he is near the freak that Cole and Bauer are. Cole was VERY sharp yesterday, but there was something about the way Bauer threw today that left me more impressed of the two. Think about a Super Regional where as an opposing team you know you have to get through those two. Yikes.

Tomorrow we will see Adam Plutko. 2-0 .69 era and a rightie. Oh yeah also a true frosh and some have said he has just as good of stuff. Should be interesting. Hopefully Brandon Pierce can duplicate the great pitching NU has had to match up with what will be the best staff in the nation when all is said and done.

Huskers Win!!!

HUGE momentum builder...

Fresno State in next weekend..... HUGE chance to enter Big 12 play on a hot streak

3 things I like:

Focus... the players had it. Outside of Farmer's error in Friday's game (one many players would make so not casting stones here) our boys never faltered. Rather, they stayed focused, trusted the pitching staff and took the series. Boys are making me proud!

Pitching... the one element of the team I have been critical of. Nothing like eating crow. These boys arms woke up big time and surprised everyone and... they did it in near freezing temps where injury can happen. I hope these boys continue to make me eat crow all year. Still have concerns but will admit I was pleasantly surprised this weekend.

Guts... Sundays game started off horrible. Walks, errors, 3 runs scored against us and then... 3 and out for the good guys. Enter our future stars and suddenly our players start gradually fighting back. Lucky catch here, double play there.. etc. and finally, we chase the starter. Who will admit that a 3 run 9th was even a possibility against the rank 5 team? Our boys focused and they believed and through guts and determination, they give us reason to believe.

Time for this ballpark and those who bleed red to begin believing in a group of boys that show a type of courage that so many of us wish we had. Game won, Series Win, celebration begins. Now lets hope the celebrations continue.

Lastly, I again want to say welcome home Erstad, welcome home!

Nebraska getting some love in the College Baseball blogosphere: College Baseball Today

– THREE UP.

2A- Nebraska reliever Dylan Vogt.

Vogt got the win with his 5.0 innings of no-hit work to help the Huskers pull out a big 2-1 win in 12 innings. Special kudos to the Cornhusker defense as Vogt induced nine groundouts in his 15 outs and the Husker D didn’t commit an error all day.

The Bounce-Back Winners.

- Nebraska out-dueled No. 6 UCLA 2-1 in 12 innings.

The Huskers and Bruins have combined for four runs in 24 innings of play so far this weekend. Bryan Peters got the game-winning RBI single in the 12th to score Tanner Krietemeier from second base. Check out this pic from the game…

Nebr-celebrUCLAwinWsnow.jpg

While the bulk of the article is about OU's series win over Cal, it appears from what was written that the Nebraska series win is of more substance, as UCLA didn't give us (IIRC) four errors during the entire series, let alone four errors in one game as Cal did for the OU Soonerswhorns™.

Go for the article, stay for the butthurt which is the Baylor Bearwhorns™ and the A&M Aggiewhorns™ losing key matchups this weekend, as well as the Schadenfreude that is Arkansas and Arizona State off to below par starts.

still need to work on the bats overall. but it was a great pitching staff that they faced in ucla. fun fun game to watch today! awesome 9th and peters does it again 2 days in a row with walk-off rbi yesterday and walk off homer today!

Frankly, I'm willing to give them slack since a)it was below 20°F, b ) we faced two of the top 10 (and maybe five) pitchers in NCAA baseball, c) Erstad is on the case, and d) the team is young.

However, we should see something come alive by the time Big XII play is here. If not, I fear our recent success will be fleeting and meaningless, not unlike the Men's Basketball wins over the Missouri Tigerwhorns™, A&M Aggiewhorns™, and Texas Longwhorn...er...um...whorns™.

Caught the end of the game yesterday on the radio in the kitchen of the restaurant I wait at. It was especially pleasing to hear the walk off announced b/c the lone cook yesterday is a big OU fan. Man was he pi$$ed off we found a way to win :)

Well, this series tells me it appears our baseball team may have located and/or regrown the cojones they've been sorely lacking the last few years. If they can keep it up, should be a fun year. Would be great to break in the new stadium with our Huskers earning a CWS berth... but that's a long ways off.

A question for those that are saying the hitting is lacking after the UCLA series. Did any of you actually GO to any of these games or did you just pick up the next days newspaper and/or catch the 20 seconds of highlights on TV?

There is reasoning behind what a lot of us that saying about Gerrit Cole, Trevor Bauer, and even Adam Putko to an extent, and that they are that GOOD. Maybe you had to to see it first hand to honestly comprehend, but you really don't. Cole and Bauer will be high first rounders and both absolutely owned the mound. They will make most teams struggle day in and day out. And the weather only made them even more effective. To give you a better idea about these two, think about Joba and GI Johnny in their prime, now take it up another half a notch They are that good.

For those that got out and watched both teams play this weekend, you got to see some special talents that probably will be making a return trip to Nebraska this summer. You also got the added bonus of seeing NU's staff pitch just as slendidly, something that hopefully continues throughout the season.