The Importance of Being Earnest

Tressel is a stand-up individual who made a mistake, and (seemingly) realizes it, and gave himself a harsher punishment than he had to. I have no comment on whether he should be fired or not, but I am entirely confidence in his decency as a human being.

Let me get this straight. The stand up guy Tressle found out in a e-mail last April before football season that some of his top players were trading merchandise for cash or Tats which is against NCAA rules. He then does nothing to report the misconduct to the NCAA or his own school.

Yes, that's right. People make mistakes, and one boneheaded blunder (which this was) doesn't define you. I've seen one-hundred fold more reasons and evidence that he's a good guy than I have that he's a selfish snake.

• Fire 1

Try reading the post, it said both.

In todays world, Coach Osborne would be on the firing line just like Tressel. I do not define it as cheating. Breaking a rule, that most here would have done, is questionable as cheating I think.

It was the kids property, they sold it. To think things like that do not go on at Nebraska is homerism. We have our skeletons I am sure.

Again, Devaney and Osborne were good men, that made mistakes, so did Coach Tressel. His program reports more violations than any other program I heard, because they watch it way more than anyone else.

His kids are not raping girls, drunk in the streets, criminal behaviour, gang bangers. They sold clothes they were given, big deal. I would guess it happens everywhere. Who knows. I was given a jersey by Ron Poggemeyer way back in the day. I am sure that was illegal. Things happen. He is a good man that made a mistake.

Try reading the post, it said both.

In todays world, Coach Osborne would be on the firing line just like Tressel. I do not define it as cheating. Breaking a rule, that most here would have done, is questionable as cheating I think.

It was the kids property, they sold it. To think things like that do not go on at Nebraska is homerism. We have our skeletons I am sure.

Again, Devaney and Osborne were good men, that made mistakes, so did Coach Tressel. His program reports more violations than any other program I heard, because they watch it way more than anyone else.

His kids are not raping girls, drunk in the streets, criminal behaviour, gang bangers. They sold clothes they were given, big deal. I would guess it happens everywhere. Who knows. I was given a jersey by Ron Poggemeyer way back in the day. I am sure that was illegal. Things happen. He is a good man that made a mistake.

Why are you bringing what the kids did into the argument? The players infractions (which I think were judged too harshly FWIW. I believe they should have missed the bowl game and that should have ended it for them) are irrelevant to Tressel's predicament. It doesn't matter what the kids did, it matters that the coach tried to cover it up and than lied to the NCAA when questioned. That is what he should be fired or suspended for.. not anything having to do with what the players themselves did or did not do.

Tressel is a stand-up individual who made a mistake, and (seemingly) realizes it, and gave himself a harsher punishment than he had to. I have no comment on whether he should be fired or not, but I am entirely confidence in his decency as a human being.

He did not give himself a harsher punishment than he had to. He tried to take a lesser one and when it didn't work he created a weak alternative to try to save face and avoid real punishment...

his self imposed 5 game suspension is a joke. Sure he can't be on the field for the games, but he can recruit, he can coach practice and he can install gameplans during that time... ask any coach if they'd rather miss the game or miss the week of prep and every single one will say give me the game off - heck half of them would probably say they'd miss the game every week if they could without it being a punishment.

A real 5 game suspension means no contact with the program for that five game span.. his suspension offer is simply a ruse to try to avoid that non-contact from happening.

Dennis Dodd's blog

Friday's revelation that Jim Tressel forwarded emails to a mentor of quarterback Terrelle Pryor might be the deal-breaker for the Buckeyes coach. Remember, these are the emails that he wouldn't share with his superiors because Tressel was worried about "privacy" issues.

This is more about Tressel. On the surface, he not only withheld information regarding -- let's not forget -- a federal investigation from his superiors. He also went off the reservation in sharing the emails with a person outside the university. Not even a parent -- a "mentor." Let's be clear: A glass company owner in western Pennsylvania apparently knew Pryor's name had popped up during a federal investigation before Ohio State's president or athletic director. LINK

Yeah, as more of this stuff comes to light, I don't think the 5 game self-imposed wrist slap is going to stand. This could cost Tressel his job.

Dennis Dodd's blog

Friday's revelation that Jim Tressel forwarded emails to a mentor of quarterback Terrelle Pryor might be the deal-breaker for the Buckeyes coach. Remember, these are the emails that he wouldn't share with his superiors because Tressel was worried about "privacy" issues.

This is more about Tressel. On the surface, he not only withheld information regarding -- let's not forget -- a federal investigation from his superiors. He also went off the reservation in sharing the emails with a person outside the university. Not even a parent -- a "mentor." Let's be clear: A glass company owner in western Pennsylvania apparently knew Pryor's name had popped up during a federal investigation before Ohio State's president or athletic director. LINK

Yeah, as more of this stuff comes to light, I don't think the 5 game self-imposed wrist slap is going to stand. This could cost Tressel his job.

Before this EVERY coach that violated the bylaw about lying to the NCAA has been fired. Just when it looked like Tressel would break that streak this surfaces. Not good for him.

Dennis Dodd's blog

Before this EVERY coach that violated the bylaw about lying to the NCAA has been fired. Just when it looked like Tressel would break that streak this surfaces. Not good for him.

But he's a standup guy or so I've been told. chuckleshuffle

Exactly. You want 5 games, then make it where he cannot step foot on campus or even be in contact with coaches/players. Then you can call that a punishment.

:yeah

That's the first thing I thought. The 5 players should also not be allowed to work out or practice with the team. If their serious about playing again, then let them stay in shape on their own. As far as him keeping his job, I don't have any problem with that. Seems he is a good person who like all of us, made a mistake. I learn from my mistakes, so will he.

GBR!!!

Are people really pretending that Tressel just now realized he messed up? He's a smart guy, he knew it was against the rules the entire time but didn't mind because he didn't think it was a huge deal and was pretty sure they'd never get caught.

I think it's crazy to fire him. Coaches lie all the time and the offense wasn't really harmful to anyone. But I do think the NCAA will take a lot of flak if they don't match Dez Bryant's suspension.

The radio guys are talking that Tressel will step down and Urban Meyer as the possible replacement.

These guys?

2007_Radio_Movie2.jpg

I'm bored, (and stuck in an airport) so I'd like to suggest that we ponder that fact that Bo will be leaving to take the job ...... in that case I hope that Mr. Sweatervest stays. I know this has been veted and Bo is doubtfull for the job but like I said, I'm bored.

Exactly. You want 5 games, then make it where he cannot step foot on campus or even be in contact with coaches/players. Then you can call that a punishment.

That's the first thing I thought. The 5 players should also not be allowed to work out or practice with the team. If their serious about playing again, then let them stay in shape on their own. As far as him keeping his job, I don't have any problem with that. Seems he is a good person who like all of us, made a mistake. I learn from my mistakes, so will he.

GBR!!!

Let me just add to this as I agree with this thought. I think that much of what an HC does is very critical for much more than the 3.5 hours of game time, the same can be said for the players. Take him and the players away from the team totally and that will matter. When I suspend a person at work I don't say "well work Monday to Thursday and take friday's off for the next 5 weeks" that would be a joke.

GBR!!!

Let me just add to this as I agree with this thought. I think that much of what an HC does is very critical for much more than the 3.5 hours of game time, the same can be said for the players. Take him and the players away from the team totally and that will matter. When I suspend a person at work I don't say "well work Monday to Thursday and take friday's off for the next 5 weeks" that would be a joke.

Let me add that if I find out they were lying during an investigation they may end up un-employed. But in defense of Mr. Sweatervest a top performer may get off easy (after all cash and wins are King).