[Video] Martinez speaks to media

Nexus

Watson hated by his players? Now that's getting a bit imaginative.

Look, all I am saying is there seems to be a lack of ownership for last season's failures. Rather than "We did bad last year, we have to execute and do everything better this year", which maybe there's a little of, but it's marred by a steady dose of "Yea we had some problems last year, but that was that offense, and it should all be gone now tht it's different."

Could we claim that Martinez suddenly does not speak English and must have an interpreter? He could just mumble some gibberish to the interpreter who would then go ahead and answer the question in a less painfully awkward fashion. Then again, maybe Bo could suddenly forget how to speak English too...

I don't think we can so easily write off his inability to effectively communicate with the media as a non-issue. If his lack of a filter is so prevalent in situations like this - where he's been coached what to say, and what not to say - think how bad his communication is in other situations. We're talking about a guy who's position dictates that he communicate effectively with the team and coaches at all times. That's in practice, on the sidelines, during the game, film room, etc. Many times how you say something is almost as important as the message's content. Being political might not be the favored approach, but it can make a huge difference when working in a team environment - whether that is corporate or college football makes little difference. The psychology behind the situations is still similar.

well said and absolutely correct...the kid doesn't instill any confidence in his demeanor, a real negative for a qb......oh well.

On the field and in the huddle are very, very different contexts than in front of a bunch of cameras and reporters. Not saying he is or isn't the leader he's claiming to be, just that you can't draw that kind of conclusion from this kind of video.

No, but there is a lot more to being a team leader than being vocal in the huddle. This is just one more instance where his actions support our suspicions. That was kind of my point - a lot of people just brush this aside and say as long as he can produce on the field who cares. But, there's a lot of other duties, as the QB, he should play a central role in. Things like the unity council for one. Things where his ability to communicate effectively and make mature decisions is vital. This isn't always about T. Mart on gameday. Too many disregard everything else that goes into it. Can we be as effective as a "team" as we should be, with him hiding in a hobbit hole speaking whatever happens to come to mind? I don't think we need Tim Tebow under center. But if you compare the leader Tebow was, and the type of person he was to both the media and his team in regards to this one specific area (communication) - Taylor is about as far from ideal as you can get. You can hope that he'll grow into that role - but some things you've either got, or you don't.

It's not a major deal, it just worries me a little bit and it's the offseason so I can't talk about the drive late in the 3rd quarter. Ultimately it's the little things that make a difference between 14-0 and 12-2. And those little things aren't always X's and O'x or who's faster or the better passer.

I think most of us can say they've worked with some extremely intelligent people who were very qualified to do a job but couldn't do it effectively - not because of a lack of skills but because of a lack of those "soft-qualities". I consider this similar.

Taylor very well may possess the althetic ability to win a Heisman, and he might be gifted enough as a quarterback to put up the numbers to win us 14 games this year or next. But what happens if his personality conflicts with another player or coach. Or he surrounds himself in a media firestorm because a comment fired out of that loose cannon. He can say it doesn't affect him, but as someone that was 20 once I can guarentee you it does. Maybe it won't happen...but who would you consider more likely to endure a situation where team chemistry becomes and issue - Taylor or Tebow?

• Fire 1

dedhoarse He can learn it!!

If they can teach them to play better surely they can teach him to deal more effectively with the Media. He also can learn to be a more effective leader in the huddle. Martinez is going to mature and by taking more snaps interviews he will get better.

Does anybody buy that he's "pretty close" with all the quarterbacks? All of the Huskerwood insiders around here seem to point in the exact opposite direction.

Many of those same insiders insisted that Martinez was 100% gone after the A&M game too. I've learned to take what the "insiders" say with a gigantic grain of salt. There's more lies than truth being spread. Problem is, nobody fact checks.

• Fire 1

Really? I don't remember that. I do remember that it was said Martinez had a one-game suspension for CU.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/48924-potentially-awful-news-per-rss/

It was all over the media, and the Nebraska Message boards.

From Sip: "I'm convinced that Martinez and Bo Pelini could hold a joint press conference in which both proclaim that Martinez never considered transferring, and it wouldn't matter to many folks. There's a segment of the fan base that always will cling to the notion that Taylor had one foot out the door -- or even both feet -- after the Texas A&M game."

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/two_cents_on_taylor_.html

Folks, stop it. Just stop. You're literally picking through Martinez's interview, gleaning every possible meaning that is or isn't there. The truth of the matter is, this is a teenage surfer dude. You're going to learn as much from listening to his interview as you do from asking your teenager how his/her days was.

As far as his leadership qualities, you can't learn anything about that from watching this interview, and even if you could, I'm of the opinion that you need great leaders all over the team to have a national championship team, not just at QB. Tommie Frazier and Scott Frost were leaders, but they weren't THE leader of their teams. They were surrounded by Zach Wiegert and Grant Wistrom and Christian Peter and Jason Peter and Phil Ellis and Doug Colman and Mike Minter and Jared Tomich and Brendan Stai and Rob Zatechka. I mean, Tommie Frazier, as great as he was, wasn't even completely necessary to winning a national championship on those teams - we had perfectly capable Brook Berringer backing him up.

And as for the guy who asked, "Would you rather have Martinez or Tebow?" What difference does that make? Unless Tim Tebow is available to play for us next year, who cares? He's not on the team, Martinez is. If there's some other guy who's this stupendous leader and is going to carry the team on his shoulders like Tebow, then great, but I haven't seen him yet, and I'm not going to shun Martinez just because he isn't Tim Tebow. Frankly, I found Tebow to be one of the most obnoxious icons in college sports, and I'm glad that Martinez isn't like him.

• Fire 4

Does anybody buy that he's "pretty close" with all the quarterbacks? All of the Huskerwood insiders around here seem to point in the exact opposite direction.

Many of those same insiders insisted that Martinez was 100% gone after the A&M game too. I've learned to take what the "insiders" say with a gigantic grain of salt. There's more lies than truth being spread. Problem is, nobody fact checks.

Oh yeah, truly endless "insiders" claiming he left the team last year. Posted everywhere 10,000 times. It was just amazing. Just the other day some posters were stating he left the team on Rivals.

lol!

Women have their soaps and we have NU cfb. We both get what we need.

Until Bo says someone has left the team, I do not believe it. The kid appeared on the interview, just as my friend said he was. Introverted, shy, awkward. I think we try to read too much into what we hear and what we think we see. I just want the kid to have a chance, with an offense and OC that wants to work with him. I hope he tears it up this year. Not because I want him over anyone else, just to stop the continual 2nd string is always better group. I know not possible.

The poor guy looks SO uncomfortable out there among the media. That is so not his comfort zone. He's tremendously awkward, and it comes off as arrogance, but it really isn't.

Still, he's not going to get better at this by staying away from the microphones. So he goes up there and plugs away. And I cringe.

Thankfully he's a hell of a lot better behind center than in front of the mic. And that's all that counts.

Honestly he doesn't come across as that bright

Ever clammed up talking to a pretty girl? He's got 20 mics in his mug. Do you really think this is the best situation to judge his intelligence?

Also, Dirk Chatelain is very dreamy :)

By the way - Taylor flat out throwing last year's coordinator under the bus, using "last year I wasn't given enough freedom to change plays" as an excuse, falls completely outside the scope of being awkward. The reporters even gave him a chance to say the freedom was a product of being a year older and a year wiser.

I am still none too comfortable with this rhetoric.

Still defending Wastgrove's ghost eh Z?

just admit it Shawn, you stunk up the place