Position changes

With Jamal the coaches are trying him out at both positions (QB & WR) to see where he fits best within our system. They know he is a freakish athlete and they want to get him on the field. We know we have Cody Green, Taylor Martinez, Brion Carnes, and Ron Kellogg Jr. here for at least 2 more years each so for the time being we really don't need Jamal at QB so we can afford to move him around a bit, it will also help him pick up the offense quicker if he understands the way other positions work and how they're coached.

Just like you guys have said, we're trying to get as many athletic guys on the field as possible and if there is a position with a ton of depth, our coaches are going to move the talented guys around to other positions where they can see the field earlier. They're going to create competition and they're going to create depth. Coach Beck has said, we want to keep defenses guessing. We're going to have WR's line up as RB's sometimes and block, we're going to have RB's line up as WR's sometimes and catch or run reverses or block off the side. We're going to do the same thing with TE's etc. That way when Kyler Reed lines up no one knows if he's going to catch the ball or run the ball or block and the same goes with guys like Rex who may throw a pass or run a zone read as a QB or he may line up as a receiver or be used as a power back. I expect to see a lot of motion and up pace tempo with this offense and I expect us to start Taylor Martinez at QB with Cody Green and Brion Carnes getting snaps behind him.

I think when we see this offense in motion against Chatanooga next year, we're going to be fooled ourselves about what this offense is going to run. There's going to be all sorts of formations, all sorts of guys playing random positions at times, you're gonna see Martinez line up as a WR and a QB, you're gonna see Rex line up as a WR, QB, and RB. You're gonna see Kyler Reed line up as a FB, RB, WR, TE. You're gonna see Currenski line up as a RB and a WR and the same with Aaron Green and Ameer Abdullah. There's gonna be a lot of shotgun, some zone read, some play action pass, some option, some I formation, and maybe some diamond. Nebraska isn't going to be a __________ type of offense (pro-style, option, power I, etc) we're going to be a multiple offense with a few plays for each style in our playbook. We're going to pass a lot if a team fails to protect the pass, we're going to run it up the middle if the team has a weak line, we're gonna take it outside or long if a team loads the box. You get the point here...

We're gonna be like bees in a beehive, swarming and unpredictable, attacking anyone who comes near.

Great point, I honestly didn't even think about that!

I would also like to add the point that having Jamal Turner at a slot could even have him passing on some trick plays where he ends up throwing the ball. I am really hoping to see him do this once off the jet sweep, even if its a screen!

With Jamal the coaches are trying him out at both positions (QB & WR) to see where he fits best within our system. They know he is a freakish athlete and they want to get him on the field. We know we have Cody Green, Taylor Martinez, Brion Carnes, and Ron Kellogg Jr. here for at least 2 more years each so for the time being we really don't need Jamal at QB so we can afford to move him around a bit, it will also help him pick up the offense quicker if he understands the way other positions work and how they're coached.

Just like you guys have said, we're trying to get as many athletic guys on the field as possible and if there is a position with a ton of depth, our coaches are going to move the talented guys around to other positions where they can see the field earlier. They're going to create competition and they're going to create depth. Coach Beck has said, we want to keep defenses guessing. We're going to have WR's line up as RB's sometimes and block, we're going to have RB's line up as WR's sometimes and catch or run reverses or block off the side. We're going to do the same thing with TE's etc. That way when Kyler Reed lines up no one knows if he's going to catch the ball or run the ball or block and the same goes with guys like Rex who may throw a pass or run a zone read as a QB or he may line up as a receiver or be used as a power back. I expect to see a lot of motion and up pace tempo with this offense and I expect us to start Taylor Martinez at QB with Cody Green and Brion Carnes getting snaps behind him.

I think when we see this offense in motion against Chatanooga next year, we're going to be fooled ourselves about what this offense is going to run. There's going to be all sorts of formations, all sorts of guys playing random positions at times, you're gonna see Martinez line up as a WR and a QB, you're gonna see Rex line up as a WR, QB, and RB. You're gonna see Kyler Reed line up as a FB, RB, WR, TE. You're gonna see Currenski line up as a RB and a WR and the same with Aaron Green and Ameer Abdullah. There's gonna be a lot of shotgun, some zone read, some play action pass, some option, some I formation, and maybe some diamond. Nebraska isn't going to be a __________ type of offense (pro-style, option, power I, etc) we're going to be a multiple offense with a few plays for each style in our playbook. We're going to pass a lot if a team fails to protect the pass, we're going to run it up the middle if the team has a weak line, we're gonna take it outside or long if a team loads the box. You get the point here...

We're gonna be like bees in a beehive, swarming and unpredictable, attacking anyone who comes near.

I don't know. Do we really want this? One of the issues I see is not really the whole 'we need an identity' thing, but when it comes down to it, and it's 3rd and 3, late in the game, what does Beck dial up that DOESN'T produce results like we saw vs. aTm and OU. Both times, with plenty of clock, we had a chance to at least come down and tie the game with one of the best FG kickers in the HISTORY of college football, and we could hardly pick up a first down both games. Saw that vs. ISU in '09, too.

I remember a lot of games from the option days where it would be 3rd and medium and Osborne would send in some ISO, counter or FB trap. At first glance, it was like, "What the hell is he thinking?" But you'd see those linemen pull around and create driveway-sized holes for guys like Hipp, Rozier, Keith Jones, Calvin Jones, Phillips and Green who would bull through a tackle to move the sticks. The boys in red had those plays imprinted in their brains, and they just pushed opponents around. Then, of course, on 1st down, the all-expected ISO between the tackles suddenly became a deftly hidden play action fake, and then a deep spiral to Johnny Mitchell, Bostick, Rod Smith, Muhammed, Baul, etc.

It worked because even if defenses knew one of those two plays was coming, they couldn't stop either effectively. If we're going to be consistent, we can't be a 'jack of all offenses, master of none.' Bread and butter's gotta be somewhere.

I don't know. Do we really want this? One of the issues I see is not really the whole 'we need an identity' thing, but when it comes down to it, and it's 3rd and 3, late in the game, what does Beck dial up that DOESN'T produce results like we saw vs. aTm and OU. Both times, with plenty of clock, we had a chance to at least come down and tie the game with one of the best FG kickers in the HISTORY of college football, and we could hardly pick up a first down both games. Saw that vs. ISU in '09, too.

I remember a lot of games from the option days where it would be 3rd and medium and Osborne would send in some ISO, counter or FB trap. At first glance, it was like, "What the hell is he thinking?" But you'd see those linemen pull around and create driveway-sized holes for guys like Hipp, Rozier, Keith Jones, Calvin Jones, Phillips and Green who would bull through a tackle to move the sticks. The boys in red had those plays imprinted in their brains, and they just pushed opponents around. Then, of course, on 1st down, the all-expected ISO between the tackles suddenly became a deftly hidden play action fake, and then a deep spiral to Johnny Mitchell, Bostick, Rod Smith, Muhammed, Baul, etc.

It worked because even if defenses knew one of those two plays was coming, they couldn't stop either effectively. If we're going to be consistent, we can't be a 'jack of all offenses, master of none.' Bread and butter's gotta be somewhere.

I know it doesn't address your actual point, but if it makes you feel any better, someone said in another thread they watched practice for a few minutes this spring and saw more option plays being run than they had during all of Watson's reign.

i agree with you completely about the bread and butter thing, but who is to say we wont run the same play over and over but just out of many different formations? maybe we will run the ball on 3rd and 4 and it will be the same play we ran on 1st and 10 but just out of a completely different formation so the defense doesnt expect the run out of this formation cuz we usually ran out of that formation. idk just a thought i may be completely off base here

i agree with you completely about the bread and butter thing, but who is to say we wont run the same play over and over but just out of many different formations? maybe we will run the ball on 3rd and 4 and it will be the same play we ran on 1st and 10 but just out of a completely different formation so the defense doesnt expect the run out of this formation cuz we usually ran out of that formation. idk just a thought i may be completely off base here

That was what the Osborne offense was.

Just curious as to why everyone thinks Abdullah wouldnt redshirt next year? Both Aaron Green and Braylon Heard are coming in next year, both are the same "style" running back (rely on speed and agility instead of power) and both were rated higher than Ameer was? It'd seem like a waste to burn his RS without needing to.

If Heard actually makes it, he will have been out of football for almost 2 years. He won't be ready, IMO.

I'm going to go on record and say if nebraska puts all their best athletes on the field at once on O. they will be the fastest team in the nation..I say this because of one determining factor that gives them the edge....QB. and when i mean fast i mean foot speed, not tempo

Tmart, Heard & Green will be one damn fast backfield. That's for sure. I don't know if it'll be the fastest in the nation but if not it's gotta be very, very close.

don't forget..bell, abdullah, baptiste, reed who is prob the fastest TE. ok lets make it a little less bold, Easily the fastest team in the big ten. duh right

and jamal turner. and if L. Ward can get some time at the H back. idk, either way we will be dynamic

I completely agree with this portion of the thread......no holds barred!

Personally, I believe the coaches still would like to work Jamal as a quarterback. The minute I heard this, I thought of Kerry Meier. Guy is a freak athlete and needs to be on the field, however he's not quite good enough to edge out the starting QB. My guess is, like Meier, he'll spend a lot of time in the quarterbacks room during the week and a lot of time lined up as a WR on Saturdays.

Personally, I believe the coaches still would like to work Jamal as a quarterback. The minute I heard this, I thought of Kerry Meier. Guy is a freak athlete and needs to be on the field, however he's not quite good enough to edge out the starting QB. My guess is, like Meier, he'll spend a lot of time in the quarterbacks room during the week and a lot of time lined up as a WR on Saturdays.

Good Kerry Meier analogy. If JT turned out to be comparable to Kerry Meier I have no problem moving him to WR.

Just curious as to why everyone thinks Abdullah wouldnt redshirt next year? Both Aaron Green and Braylon Heard are coming in next year, both are the same "style" running back (rely on speed and agility instead of power) and both were rated higher than Ameer was? It'd seem like a waste to burn his RS without needing to.

If Heard actually makes it, he will have been out of football for almost 2 years. He won't be ready, IMO.

Ehh not necessarily. I mean he will definitely have to adjust to game speed as with green and abdullah but his biggest issue out of high school was his size. Now i havent seen him and idk where he is size wise but i assume he has been on the husker workout program since he transferred from wvu so he is probably a little bigger and i would be very disappointed if throughout this process he sat on the couch instead of staying in at least some shape.

Good Kerry Meier analogy. If JT turned out to be comparable to Kerry Meier I have no problem moving him to WR.

i have two things to say here, one JT is faster than Kerry was so that makes him even more of a threat, the other thing is will JT be the amazing unselfish teamate, i hope so if he is then he will be a special special player