Bubba Starling will be facing decision of a lifetime

ADS

I say Bo antes up the pot and let's Bubba paly for Doc, and replace Bear Jones on the roster. Oh wait, he is HELL of a bballer so Doc would probably just give Bubba Bear's spot on the bench.

And again for the record, he ain't coming. The Royals won't let him pass. And they need another Outfielder to take Gordo's roster spot.

Damn I am on a roll with this post

Starling's decision isn't too much different than Suh's decision after his Jr. year. And it worked out ok for him, coming back to Lincoln.

It's VERY different.

- Suh's money was a mere 11 months away when he made his decision to come back. Starling's will be over 3 years away.

- Suh had a fat insurance policy to guarentee his decision. I don't know but I doubt Starling has one, and if he does it wouldn't be anywhere near the amount Suh's would have guarenteed him if injured. The extremely high premiums would need to be paid for 3 years of risk, not months.

- Suh almost had his degree. Even if Starling comes here and decides to leave in 3 years he'll won't have his degree. The only way to get that degree is to commit for a full 4 years.

- If Suh came back, had a disapointing senior year and fell to the very bottom of the 1st round he was still getting over 7 million guarenteed money. Starling falls out of the first round and he goes from being a guarenteed millionaire to "maybe" signing for a around a million. That's not a lifetime of financial security by any means.

- Suh was a proven college athlete, with a guarenteed starting spot. Starling could be riding the bench for the next couple years.

- Generally HS baseball players are worth more than college baseball players when it comes to draft contracts.

The RISK for Starling is tremendous. Not just monetarily. Suh had very little risk. He was going to be a millionair in 11 months regardless.

You're not telling me anything new. So I'll restate the obvious also. Starling could enter the MLB draft and take the money now. Or come to UNL and risk a possible injury. Suh’s decision after his junior year was similar inasmuch as he could have entered the 2009 NFL draft and taken the money right then. Instead he risked injury all of 2009——had guys going after his knees in several games. But in the end it worked out to his advantage. That's all I meant.

Suh’s decision was similar. From what I understand, many years ago Turner Gill faced a decision that was *exactly* the same as Starling’s.

The most tell-tale part of that article, which tried hard to paint a picture of a young man truly teetering on the brink of turning down the money for college, was this:

Bubba is approaching a difficult crossroads, and his family is, too. The reality behind this tall tale isn’t all that uncommon these days: He’s part of a family struggling with finances, hoping for a calmer tomorrow but aware that nothing is guaranteed.

Jimbo lost his job in January, let go during a five-minute talk after 18 years with the company. So far, the interviews haven’t yielded another steady paycheck. Deb clips coupons on Sundays, and in past years when Bubba played in summer baseball tournaments, the family drove to Tennessee or New Orleans and called it their vacation.

What good will college do this kid when his family loses his boyhood home if his dad can't find a job?

I really, really want Bubba here. He seems like a once-in-a-lifetime kind of recruit. But this kid has to deal with reality, too. Kid or young man, he simply cannot turn down the money.

If he doesn't make it in baseball, Nebraska football will always be there for him. Weeden from OSU did it.

Starling's decision isn't too much different than Suh's decision after his Jr. year. And it worked out ok for him, coming back to Lincoln.

Edit: plus what kc said.

I disagree, while he's probably made a few friends in the program and knows the coaches Suh had 3 years of ties to a place which weighs a lot heavier then recruiting visits. Big Suh had a huge opportunity to learn from one of the undisputed best best defensive minds in College football (who had just helped Dorsey to win the Outland) after the complete debacle of a defense that got the last staff canned. Also Suh, while he has the physical tools to be a Barry Bonds/Mark McGuire sans the peanut size testi... err steroids and HGH, wasn't choosing between two sports.

I really do hope he decides to become a husker but I don't think anyone could fault the kid for taking a shot at getting paid and going for the majors regardless... Even before any family money situations arouse.

Too bad he didn't sign with an $EC team. He could have played college ball AND his family would be financially taken care of.

Seriously - he needs to make the best decision for him. Just be a man and call Bo that he isn't coming and don't do it in a text message.

• Fire 1

Edit: plus what kc said.

I disagree, while he's probably made a few friends in the program and knows the coaches Suh had 3 years of ties to a place which weighs a lot heavier then recruiting visits. Big Suh had a huge opportunity to learn from one of the undisputed best best defensive minds in College football (who had just helped Dorsey to win the Outland) after the complete debacle of a defense that got the last staff canned. Also Suh, while he has the physical tools to be a Barry Bonds/Mark McGuire sans the peanut size testi... err steroids and HGH, wasn't choosing between two sports.

I really do hope he decides to become a husker but I don't think anyone could fault the kid for taking a shot at getting paid and going for the majors regardless... Even before any family money situations arouse.

No, nobody could *possibly* fault him for grabbing the money. Which is why Carl Crawford is just as popular in Nebraska as Turner Gill.

Take the money and run, Bubba. Sounds like his family needs it.

would you accept a significant amount of money from your son? it'd be a really hard thing for me to do anyway, this may not be an issue.

If my wife and I needed the money and he was offering it then I'd try to not let my pride get in the way.

Let me start by saying I believe Bubba will take the money and never play for NU. However, I think some of you are over-simplifying the money over college issue.

Think back to when you were 17 or 18 and the way you perceived everything back then. Now imagine you've been a god in every sport you've ever played all your life. You're 17 or 18 trying to decide whether you want to go get paid, or go to college. I don't know about anyone else, but I garauntee this is how my thinking would have gone:

"I'd really like to have that money. Mom and Dad could use the help, plus I'd be loaded. I could throw huge parties for all my friends and get all the hot chics I want. But I'd be spending all my time with guys who are 20, 30, 40 or older. With all the traveling and such a long season, I'll never see my family and old friends. How am I going to meet hot chics when I'm soaking in a cold tub every night with a 32 year old pitcher. Will those guys like me? How will I possibly fit in with those dudes?

"I guess I could go play football and baseball at college for a few years. I know I'm good enough to play immediately in both. I'd really be a god on campus after I lead both teams to National Championships (remember, you're 17/18, this is how you think). I'd be able to party all the time and meet tons of hot chics, they'd all want to do the starting QB and star baseball player. Plus it's close to home, I'd be able to see family/friends or have them come see me all the time. I'll just make my millions after winning a few championships and partying in college. I won't get injured, I haven't been injured seriously yet. Even if I do get hurt, I'll have time to recover. It's 3 years until my next draft anyway."

Again, in no way do I think Bubba will come to NU, but to assume a 17 year old is thinking solely about financial security is a bit ridiculous.