Husker defensive front will boast depth

That may sound like your typical spring optimism, except that Nebraska's defensive line has been arguably the program's strongest, most consistent unit in the Bo Pelini era.

And now, here's defensive coordinator Carl Pelini saying this will be the deepest defensive line he's had in four seasons.

As in, three-deep, and even four-deep at some spots. LINK

It all starts up front. And up front looks pretty good this year. :koolaid2:

Randle is a stud (and fast too) and with Guy's improvement we're very, very deep at DT. Deep enough that hopefully Williams and Peat can redshirt and keep that depth going. - and it would be nice to see Rome take that next leap too.

My only real concern with the line (and really the entire Defense) is that assuming Martin takes the starting spot at End (and I think he will) we're going to be very top heavy next year. We'll have a new DT to replace Crick but Martin, Meredith and Steinkuhler will all be seniors which added to potentially 2 starting senior linebackers in Fisher/Compton and 2 starting senior safeties in Smith/Osborne... means the probability is that we will be breaking in a TON of new starters in 2013.

My only real concern with the line (and really the entire Defense) is that assuming Martin takes the starting spot at End (and I think he will) we're going to be very top heavy next year. We'll have a new DT to replace Crick but Martin, Meredith and Steinkuhler will all be seniors which added to potentially 2 starting senior linebackers in Fisher/Compton and 2 starting senior safeties in Smith/Osborne... means the probability is that we will be breaking in a TON of new starters in 2013.

Two year window to win the MNC?

I'll take it.

The DE crew is sort of filled with unknowns. Was Meredith anything above just solid last year?

The DT crew, on the other hand...every time I think about them, I realize I forgot to mention someone. Let's see, I've already covered a beastly top six: Crick, Stein, T-Mo, Randle, Guy, Rome. And then there's celebrated incoming freshman Todd Peat. Too bad DT & DE are not interchangeable, because only two of those guys can be on the field at the same time.

The DE crew is sort of filled with unknowns. Was Meredith anything above just solid last year?

This is correct. And our #1 backup, Ankrah, was pretty much a non-factor. Overall the DE position has been a black hole the past two years, and for a school accustomed to brilliant DEs over the years, that's hard to stomach. I had high hopes for both Stache and Ankrah, but both have been merely serviceable so far. Josh Williams is a fine player, but like Stache and Ankrah, he's not jumping off the stat sheet at you.

That's why I'm so hopeful about EMart. He flashed some dirty moves in the Spring Game, and he looked fast and aggressive. As solid as our interior figures to be, we just need our ends to be above average and we'll have a heck of a line. There's no reason they can't do this, but as of yet.......

We do not win MNC until the offensive line has the same talent and depth. There are two sides to the game.

Yes. Exactly this. That said I LOVE the class we just brought in. There's tons of talent there now and one more monster class on the O-line this year will put us in a great position going forward.... that is assuming of course that Bo realizes talent is only as good as the coach teaching them to play and gets us a real O-Line coach.

The DT crew, on the other hand...every time I think about them, I realize I forgot to mention someone. Let's see, I've already covered a beastly top six: Crick, Stein, T-Mo, Randle, Guy, Rome. And then there's celebrated incoming freshman Todd Peat. Too bad DT & DE are not interchangeable, because only two of those guys can be on the field at the same time.

Meredith was hurt for basically the entire year. He got his shoulder driven the wrong way against WKU, (or Idaho, maybe?) missed just a little bit of practice and was back again, playing at probably 60%. I know a lot of guys play hurt, but I thought Meredith played exceptionally, all things considered. If you have some old video, watch Meredith get off the turf around game 5,6,7...that kid was not feeling good. And yet he still played pretty well.

I know what you mean. I've thought about that position a lot, and outside of Meredith I'm not really sure what's going on there. I mean, Martin is a converted LB who seems to be either in the lead for the start, or is neck and neck with someone. Who? Ankrah? Josh Williams?

I've loved Eric Martin for the same reasons a lot of you have over the last couple of years, namely, he blows people up and he does it gleefully. He could be a complete monster off the edge, and have a great year. But DE seems thin. Seemingly dangerously thin.