Husker defensive front will boast depth

I said a little bit of it. I am concerned about the physical down hill running taking a toll on the LB's, their possilby being undersized for the Big Ten.

We have good depth at the Dline it appears. That gives me hope.

I'm not as worried about it. The Big Ten isn't the smashmouth conference it was in the 90s.

Okay imposter, I am going to drink a bit of your koolaid here. I think the D is going to be our best ever. I just hope we can build this type of depth on the oline.

i am not ready to go that far just yet, our LB's and depth at that position bother me.

the physical schedule this season will be brutal as well.

Agreeing with Hunter. I'm worried a bit about the DE's as others. Now is the time for Camstash, Williams, and Ankrah. Moving Martin to DE was needed badly and I just want the guy to crush people off the edge. LB's a bit thin too. For DT, I hope Rome is a player but I have just really never seen him play. I'll know if our defense is up to the task for the Big 10 when I see the TFL numbers after a few games. Last year we played a lot of bend don't break and relied on DB blanket coverage.

Best D in the country? Best D we have ever had? What type of kool aid are some of you drinking because it seems to be working better than drugs. Anyways, our fronst 7 wasnt that great last year, it was mediocre at best outside of David. We lose Allen, Prince, Gomes and hagg. We might be a good defense (only because of pelini) but we wont be a great nor will we be top 8 defense next year. Also, the 3-4? Really? I dont think we should run a 3-4, considering our DT's are the strong point of our D this year. By running the 3-4 we negate all that talent we have there..which isnt very smart. Camstache at outside lb? I dont think he is quick enough to be that type of hybrid player. Also, what happens if a few of our lbs get hurt (as they usually do)? We do NOT have the depth at lb to play the 3-4 very often this year. I prefer sticking with the 4-3, keeping our d-line fresh with substitutions and get penetration that way. In my opinion, the 4-3 would work TONS better with the talent we have this year.

• Fire 1

Best D in the country? Best D we have ever had? What type of kool aid are some of you drinking because it seems to be working better than drugs. Anyways, our fronst 7 wasnt that great last year, it was mediocre at best outside of David. We lose Allen, Prince, Gomes and hagg. We might be a good defense (only because of pelini) but we wont be a great nor will we be top 8 defense next year. Also, the 3-4? Really? I dont think we should run a 3-4, considering our DT's are the strong point of our D this year. By running the 3-4 we negate all that talent we have there..which isnt very smart. Camstache at outside lb? I dont think he is quick enough to be that type of hybrid player. Also, what happens if a few of our lbs get hurt (as they usually do)? We do NOT have the depth at lb to play the 3-4 very often this year. I prefer sticking with the 4-3, keeping our d-line fresh with substitutions and get penetration that way. In my opinion, the 4-3 would work TONS better with the talent we have this year.

our overall talent does lend itself better to the 4-3 and that will be our base set... that said we did run some 3-4 against Missouri last year with Cam as the outside linebacker and it was quite effective. Don't be shocked to see it some again this year (as well as some more Peso (with Cassidy sliding down from saftey to take Hagg's old spot and Courtney Osborne/PJ Smith coming in to man the other saftey spot - expecially against Michigan and Northwestern) and don't be shocked to see some of the 50 defense with 3 DT's, 2 DE's and 2 LB's as well against certain teams - namely Wisconsin and possibly Penn State.

Something tells me Cam going from the DE to OLB spot and Crick moving from DT and DE on the fly is going to be featured a lot this season in certain games. Especially if one of the young DB's can prove capable of being left alone in man coverage across the field from Fonz consistently - Evans proved capable at times last year but wasn't consistent enough - if he can lock that down we'll be fine.

Our biggest issue next year is at center. We're very undersized there and there's not much depth.. If we have to play a Freshman at C with two new starting guards we could be in trouble.

• Fire 1

that said we did run some 3-4 against Missouri last year with Cam as the outside linebacker and it was quite effective. Don't be shocked to see it some again this year.

Something tells me Cam going from the DE to OLB spot and Crick moving from DT and DE on the fly is going to be featured a lot this season in certain games.

No, we did not run 3-4 against Missouri. 3-4 consists of 3 defensive linemen and 4 LINEBACKERS. There is NO way our defense would be successful if we ran a 3-4 against a Spread offense. If we ran 3-4 against Missouri we might as well have ran a base 5-2 against Spread Offenses like I saw on here that was mentioned back in 2007 on a thread somewhere back then "to get defensive pressure".

Ugh. :facepalm::throw

Huskerfan333157 is COMPLETELY correct what he said. :thumbs

The defensive package we used against Missouri was a hybrid Dime package. Yes, we used 3 defensive linemen. Yes we used Meredith as a "stand up Linebacker" but he was not a TRUE linebacker, he was only there to blitz from standing up, rarely, if ever, and hopefully never, covering a speedy receiver man to man. Did he cover a zone? Possibly, you'd have to go back and look, but it was NOT a 3-4 defense.

We didn't use Meredith as a stand up linebacker all the time, however, when we did, he was used primary to confuse the line and stuff the run game from different angles while our secondary and dime-backs covered tightly if it were a pass.

If Meredith was a "true linebacker" Missouri would have adjusted and ran pass plays to his side from where he was standing up blitzing, cause there is no way he would be manned up with any of their receivers. We would then go back to our usual dime package and have him rush from his usual position.

I don't believe we ran the Spinner package the whole game, but we used it on the first quarter to confuse the offensive line and Gabbert, as well as we lined up our tackles on their tackles, giving Missouri a different look, and it worked very well, I noticed it right away from the stands.

We played with 3 defensive linemen, a "Spinner" [Meredith, hence the name because of where he was positioned on the field, ie., "Spinner"] and then we had David in the middle, with Gomes, Hagg covering as our Dimebacks, and our usual secondary coverage of Amukamara & Dennard as corners and our safeties Cassidy and Osborne covering 2 Deep, Cover 1, or sometimes Cover 0, sometimes acting line linebackers when they would come out of their usual safety positoins. We ran a lot more Cover 1 this year than we usually have in the past.

Linky link link: http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/search/label/Bo%20Pelini

Linky link link: http://www.omaha.com/article/20101030/BIGRED/710309714/0#blackshirts-throw-a-change-up

If we ran 3-4, we would be playing Compton, Fisher, May and David against Missouri's spread 4 and 5 wide receiver sets. We would basically negate Gomes and Hagg for Fisher and Compton. [Given the fact they were both healthy]

Terrible. We lose speed AND coverage at the same time and we would have gotten smoked. We would get killed every single time if that were the case.

The Spinner package LOOKS like a 3-4, but it is a Dime in disguise, a hybrid Dime if you will.

I agree with running a 5-2, or even a 5-3 against Wisconsin or Penn State, maybe even 46 defense if you want to put a Safety up close to the line or having a safety line up where the linebackers are like the old 85 Chicago Bears used too [however I'm not sure how much the Pelini's would want to put a safety near the line of scrimmage] but we did not run a 3-4 base against Missouri and I highly doubt we run a 3-4 base this year.

Meredith does not have the speed or coverage skills to be a legitimate linebacker. Putting Crick at defensive end? I don't think he is fast enough. He is a solid defensive tackle, but would make a TERRIBLE defensive end. Which is why we see Eric Martin seeing success there because of his acceleration. Meredith is a good defensive end but is not a linebacker.

Some of this talk makes no sense to me.

Our strength is our defensive line. Our weakness is our linebackers, besides David. Why would we negate our strength and play a weakness, thus basically subbing out Steinkuhler on the defensive line for Matthew May or a combo of Compton/Fisher for a 3-4? If our linebackers get injured in a 3-4, we don't have much depth behind the "starting 4" so it makes sense to have a 4-3 because we are deepest on the defensive line and secondary and limited at linebacker as of right now.

Play to your strengths.

I don't understand where all of this 3-4 non-sense came from. I guarantee we run a 4-3, and we will run some Dime and Peso against teams that spread it out. I looked through the links on here and the links I provided, and NO WHERE does it mention a 3-4 base or 3-4 package, so I have no idea where this talk came from but we would be in terrible shape if we ran a 3-4 next year.

• Fire 1

our overall talent does lend itself better to the 4-3 and that will be our base set... that said we did run some 3-4 against Missouri last year with Cam as the outside linebacker and it was quite effective. Don't be shocked to see it some again this year (as well as some more Peso (with Cassidy sliding down from saftey to take Hagg's old spot and Courtney Osborne/PJ Smith coming in to man the other saftey spot - expecially against Michigan and Northwestern) and don't be shocked to see some of the 50 defense with 3 DT's, 2 DE's and 2 LB's as well against certain teams - namely Wisconsin and possibly Penn State.

Something tells me Cam going from the DE to OLB spot and Crick moving from DT and DE on the fly is going to be featured a lot this season in certain games. Especially if one of the young DB's can prove capable of being left alone in man coverage across the field from Fonz consistently - Evans proved capable at times last year but wasn't consistent enough - if he can lock that down we'll be fine.

Our biggest issue next year is at center. We're very undersized there and there's not much depth.. If we have to play a Freshman at C with two new starting guards we could be in trouble.

We didnt run the 3-4, look at druski's post...I cant believe you actually think we ran the 3-4 against Missouri, that is comical..you really think we would run a 3-4 defense against missouri? lol..wowwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Fire 1