Rules

What do you guys think of all the new rules (ex.targeting) in College Football? For me, its taking a lot of the excitement out of the game. Big hits, forget about it, more like a 15 yard penalty. For me, It is B.S. I just feel like something needs to be done so football isn't ruined forever.

For example, Bo's locker room speech about putting the N under the opponents chin, the first thought that goes through my head is "That will be 15 yards". Its seem that certain people want football to be a glorified tennis match. Whats everyone else's thoughts? What can be done? or am I just overreacting? Or will it be better in the Big 10?

I don't mind the protect the QB rules, unless the QB drops their head before they take a hit. But, all the show boating rules are getting a little over the top, now they can take the points off the board? Seems a little much to me.

The QB as well as any player should be protected from head injuries. Of course, if the QB or any other player puts their head down first before taking the hit, then it shouldn't be a penalty as the DB/LB was going to hit their chest, but because of the QB lowering their head, they hit their head. Hardly the defenders fault if you ask me.

The unsportsmanlike penalty is just complete garbage. Basically this is what it says, "Hey players, don't play with any emotion, in an emotion filled game."

I do not watch pro football for the very reason they are tightning down on the show boating.

I see no need for a player to do a back flip into the endzone, or dive when no one is around. I am all for celebrating, but some of it is so contrived it is sickening. I do not like the staged dances and slaps that seem to be part of the NFL. Keep college the way it is. Some can get carried away, such as against Locker a couple of years. But normally they have it right.

I do not watch pro football for the very reason they are tightning down on the show boating.

I see no need for a player to do a back flip into the endzone, or dive when no one is around. I am all for celebrating, but some of it is so contrived it is sickening. I do not like the staged dances and slaps that seem to be part of the NFL. Keep college the way it is. Some can get carried away, such as against Locker a couple of years. But normally they have it right.

i have seen some ridiculous calls for very minor end zone celebrations, sad, let the kids be kids.

Locker threw the ball in the air and cost his team a chance to tie due to a call for taunting. I have no problem it if is spur of the moment action, but planned, staged crap just drives me crazy. It all started I think with the Iggy shuffle. And some Jets Dlineman that celebrated after a sack. It has gotten out of control in the NFL, with TO pulling out a pen.

Self promotion in a team sport. That is all it is about. If it is natural and happens immediately after the play I have no problems with it. That is kids being kids. The theatrics drive me nuts.

With all the rule changes favoring the passing game... it's no wonder more teams have been evolving. Everyone wants to spread the defense out and attack the sidelines. (Spread Offenses)

I see the NCAA becoming more like the NFL because of these changes and over the years I think we'll see more and more of the traditional (Good Passing) QB's but with athleticism start to form. Gone are the days where a (Bad passing) athlete can be a QB, because of the evolving defenses we see now that style hardly ever works anymore. Rule changes have more effect on the game than you think they do thats for sure.

And who knows if they actually help prevent injuries. Because no matter what defenses are what they are. 'Defenses'. They are suppose to be aggressive.

i have seen some ridiculous calls for very minor end zone celebrations, sad, let the kids be kids.

For some of these kids, that one touchdown may be the only one they make in their college careers. They are in college, for crying out loud! Everyone knows that college is the LAST bastion of irresponsibility! ;) But seriously, making a touchdown for your team IS a cause for celebration! How long does it take to celebrate? 20 seconds! It's not like they're creating a Conga line or anything! Let the kids play!! (Who is really complaining about this anyway? The coaches? The AD's? The fans?) I don't like the 'flips into the end zone' you can sustain a spinal cord/neck injury doing stupid things like that but to turn and salute your fans after a touchdown? I felt so badly for that kid! I think alot of people were just stunned when they called a penalty on that. Stoopid!!

Ya I don't fault them much for trying to limit head injuries, I get that. Flagging for celebrating though, unless the player does something offensive or obscene I think its ridiculous to flag someone for jumping up and down celebrating.

Yeah I can't fault them for trying to limit head injuries but I hope that they at least call it conservatively. The celebrating flags though are just stupid and taking away a touchdown for it is just awful.

It is apparent that some of the games will be decided by unsportsmanlike, taunting, or show boating penalties that now will negate the score and put teams in long yardage situations to make a first down! They will also remove game winning scores that occur late in the game. I, like most of you, can hardly stomach the idea of this happening and being the deciding factor as to who wins, but it will. I don't see that the severity of the penalty warrants the punishment of losing the game in this fashion. I believe that there should be a time limit allowed for after touchdown celebrations on the field. Let's say 20 seconds or so, after this time frame then excessive celebration may be called if the team is still celebrating on the field but I still think taking away the score is to harsh.

Leading with the head and launching yourself, should be outlawed.

Celebration penalties are stupid, before or after the touchdown.

Taunting, however, SHOULD be outlawed. Running into the end-zone and pointing the ball behind you at the other team, should be flagged. Doing the Gator chomp, in-front of the opponents face, should be flagged. Throwing the bones, in the opponents face, should be flagged.

However, if you want to "throw signs" at the fans or your teammates after a big play, as long as it isn't taunting the opponent, then that should be allowed.