Official NFL Draft Thread

Patriots trade 1.28 for the Saints' 2nd rounder and a future 1st.

That's solid, but on the other hand, that first next year is probably going to be pretty low. Saints fill a real need with a solid, sure-fire contributor in Ingram. But better for Ingram to go to the Saints, than to the Packers - who are more serious competition for the Super Bowl, in my opinion. So it's a win for the Pats. I never really bought into the "Ingram-to-Pats" storyline. Pats already have a 1-2 punch at RB.

Comment on Gruden...I generally like him but tonight was :wtf moments back to back. He calls Prince a sloppy technician and then the next pick is Clayborn who he says plays every down. These are exactly the opposite!

Kiper seemed very quiet...sometimes he can be nauseating but Gruden was just saying whatever he scripted in his notes inmmediately and jumpin' Kiper. Thought there should have been better balance.

Ponder was the biggest shocker IMO.

Good for Aldon Smith but thought he went too high...Mizzou had 2 in top 10 and Smith was picked before Gabbert. Who knew?!

Baylor with 2 picks in first round...good for them.

Ravens looked dumb with their brainfart we can't get our pick in! :laughpound

Bad pick by the Lions. Their secondary and linebacking corps needs a lot more help than their D-line.

I should also say that I hate Fairley. I think he's a dirty player.

I disagree, although I would have loved for the Lions to become the little big red and just draft Nebraska's defensive players exclusively. I think they are thinking this way about defense:

If they are so strong up front that their pass rush collapses on quarterbacks quickly the pressure means they don't need corners that can run 30 yards+ with the best wideouts since those throws will be contested well before those players get out that far.

It is iffy, but it also means you pay less on the backend because the front players affect more of the field then just one defensive back.

It also means that K. VdB and Suh better mentor Fairley to get/keep his butt in gear. He's looked babyfaced and pudgy. It could either pay off big time for the kid or he could be a huge bust, but its probably a better situation then he'd have found anywhere else if he's willing to work.

Time will tell. I hope it works out, I'm rooting for detroit since they picked Suh. I hope they can turn it around so he can have the pro career he deserves.