The Bubba Starling Thread

Don't get me wrong ... I think it will be ultra difficult for NU to keep him. With that said, isn't mom and dad blocking Boras' direct path somewhat and protecting Bubba from being pushed too hard by the agent? This seems like a very close knit and protective family. Again, I can't imagine Bubba turning down all that money, but I doubt from what I here about his parents that Boras can directly approach Bubba anytime he pleases. He has to get through Bubba's parents first ... and he may very well succeed at that. We will see this summer.

I think that what we're finding out is that, no matter what decision Bubba makes, his family is awesome. Sounds like his parents are truly willing to put that cash aside for the time being to do what's best for their son.

I would be responding to this situation very similarly if I were them. My child is my gold and silver, all my treasure. I would turn down millions for my kid, no problem.

• Fire 1

I have more formal education than 99+% of people walking the face of the earth and I can tell you with great certainty that a great deal of that education was a waste of time, effort, and money. When I'm 70, if I get there, I'll probably be even more angry at any wasted time spent in "education".

then you must be a Ph.D?......but you sure don't sound like one...

• Fire 1

This is where we find out the true charecter of the Kansas legend that is Bubba Starling. Does he sign a multi million dollar contract and become an 18 year old professional baseball player who the odds would say will more likely than not enjoy short lived success and eventually fade into mediocrity?

or... Does he take a gamble and live up to the hype? Does he roll the dice and possibly become something few people could ever aspire to become, a legend?

I'm not saying this is a gimme by any means, but the talent potential appears to be there, the personality appears to be there, the stars have aligned this far, do you take the road less traveled and learn the lessons of life the harder, more challenging and ultimately the more fulfilling way? The way people take note of and remember the story for a lifetime??

Or does he go with the trend of society these days, take the money waived in front of him and run? Take the preverbial easy road? Not that it's so easy. Does he in a word "settle" ?

You know he has dreams. From what I've read of the kid I imagine those dreams are huge. I doubt he can fulfill those dreams by settling for baseball.

So is he the next Jordon, The Next Montana, The Next Ruth? Or is he on another level beyond them, the greatest two sport athlete of all time? We will never know if he chooses baseball.

I have to hope and believe with all of his talk of still possibly playing football that thoughts similiar to these run through his head.

• Fire 1

wow seriously, settle? how is becoming a pro athlete settling? i would love to see the kid in a husker uni as much as the next guy but he has a once in a lifetime chance infront of him. is college football really worth taking a risk of getting hurt and losing out on millions? and besides if baseball doesnt pan out (which i think it will) he can always come back and get his college education after.

oh and if he chooses baseball we will know if he is the next ruth

• Fire 1

I have more formal education than 99+% of people walking the face of the earth and I can tell you with great certainty that a great deal of that education was a waste of time, effort, and money. When I'm 70, if I get there, I'll probably be even more angry at any wasted time spent in "education".

Well, I have just a humble undergraduate diploma but I know several Phd EE previous employees I worked with Silicon Valley that would agree with a huge portion of your comment.

Four to five years and a $100,000 or so for a "business" diploma that gets you nowhere is just for starters. It sure is nice for tenured (can't be fired-bought out-laid off-transfered-etc) profs who have never accomplished one single thing in the real world though.

The thing about Bubba's situation, that apparently most posters here don't realize, is that it's not "this or that". He CAN have his cake (pro baseball), and eat it too(two sport star at NU). Simply coming to NU for four years to play two sports does not rule out the likelihood that he would be selected even higher in the pro baseball draft after his college career ended, IF he is all that and the bag of chips that the pundits claim. This is the actual factual calculation at work here, so its more like "get paid now, or get paid more later AND get the degree". So unless borass can arrive at some reason that he should give up his degree and time at NU, he'll be wearing Red this fall.

And i'm thinking this kid could very well be a Bo Jackson level athlete, if you can pick up what i'm throwing down.

Well, I have just a humble undergraduate diploma but I know several Phd EE previous employees I worked with Silicon Valley that would agree with a huge portion of your comment.

Four to five years and a $100,000 or so for a "business" diploma that gets you nowhere is just for starters. It sure is nice for tenured (can't be fired-bought out-laid off-transfered-etc) profs who have never accomplished one single thing in the real world though.

You might as well add JD to your list of worthless degrees now days. The only surefire degrees are M.D.,D.O., and D.D.S. All the other degrees are almost not worth getting, unless you get scholarships.

Four to five years and a $100,000 or so for a "business" diploma that gets you nowhere is just for starters. It sure is nice for tenured (can't be fired-bought out-laid off-transferred-etc) profs who have never accomplished one single thing in the real world though.

You might as well add JD to your list of worthless degrees now days. The only surefire degrees are M.D.,D.O., and D.D.S. All the other degrees are almost not worth getting, unless you get scholarships.

amazing, i have never seen so many people whine when they have had the opportunity to a good education, post graduate degrees, etc. try moving around, maybe to a right to work state and get in a company and accelerate your talents and job opportunities with a little hard work and dedication......MG, what a bunch of whiners!

Who is whinning? Where are you dreaming that up with?

Some of us are just stating that a large portion of our current education is a bad investment. You know, dealing with reality as we see it..

It's great that you think any quality level of education at any price (money & time) is a superb investment. To each their own.

Who is whinning? Where are you dreaming that up with?

Some of us are just stating that a large portion of our current education is a bad investment. You know, dealing with reality as we see it..

It's great that you think any quality level of education at any price (money & time) is a superb investment. To each their own.

Bshirt is right on this, no one is whining, we're just being realistic.

There have been some really great articles in the NYtimes over the last year about professional degrees and higher education in the U.S. A lot of these people aren't finding jobs in the field they have a degree in and are saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. These people aren't lazy or not hard working, there simply aren't as many new and open positions for newly minted graduates. Saying that all these people with higher degrees who haven't made loads of money or made a return on their investment is a little ignorant.

It's sort of like saying that all the people who have been laid off in the last three years aren't hard working, are lazy, or stupid.

amazing, i have never seen so many people whine when they have had the opportunity to a good education, post graduate degrees, etc. try moving around, maybe to a right to work state and get in a company and accelerate your talents and job opportunities with a little hard work and dedication......MG, what a bunch of whiners!

No whining - but I can guarentee you the years of experience I gained in my field outweighs any benefit I could have gained by spending that time getting a higher level degree. Like you said, you accelerate your talents and opportunities with a little hard work and dedication (in the industry, not the classroom) - The piece of paper is needed, but adding more to the stack means little.

I'll admit industries are very different (I develop software) - but I'll get the job with my bachelors and experience over any kid with a masters/phd and less experience. Now, I'm not chasing CIO positions either - but 10 years into my career and there is nothing I could gain at this point with another degree. Even the languages I learned in college (PHP/JAVA/VB6 over MySQL/Oracle) turned out to differ from the reality of real world shops (ASP.NET/C# over SQL Server).

...one thing I quickly learned though - a small town Nebraska boy gets hired over a city kid any day. Early in my career I had a Director of IT tell me that he hired me because I was from Nebraska...and he's never run into one that didn't work his ass off. I'll take that to the bank any day.

try moving around, maybe to a right to work state and get in a company and accelerate your talents and job opportunities with a little hard work and dedication......MG, what a bunch of whiners!

You are making so many false assumptions that it's hard to know where to begin... Nobody has been whining, just recognizing reality. Also, please remember that it was you who launched the personal attack in the first place.

Formal higher education is certainly not what it used to be. Access to information is SO EASY now and that change has been so fast that the education process must drastically change its paradigm. Thus far, that has not happened and as several people have said, the cost:benefit ratio for formal higher education is shrinking quickly.

@blasted:

I can certainly see your point but the part of the equation that most people are focusing on is the potential for injury. It's obviously a scenario of "bird in the hand vs. 2 birds in the bush" and while there is no correct answer, many of us would like the instant security that might come with $3+ million in the bank. Maybe he'll "gamble" that he can achieve all of his goals/dreams. That would be great for the Huskers.

I'm acutely aware of the frailty of the human body and that may affect my thought process more than most...