The Bubba Starling Thread

Didn't realize it, but Sam's article was a two-parter. Here's part two:

And if Starling's so close to his family, well, wouldn't a giant signing bonus be a way of setting his parents up for life? Of saying thank you? I asked Deb that.

“Well, he could have that opportunity four years from now,” she says without hesitation. “And he'd have the maturity at that point. I'm his mom. My daughter (Jamie) is a junior in college right now. I've seen her changes from just her freshman year to her junior year. She plays volleyball (at Baker University) and she's changed a lot in three years. They grow up.”

Bo and Beck seem to have Mom on their side.

Now Boras flies in Monday to see his advisee for the first time. Bubba doesn't talk to him much.

“He's a pretty busy guy,” Starling says.

Linky

I find it very interesting that they've never met Boras face-to-face. He seems like an odd guy to hire based on some phone calls. And if Bubba is so important to him, wouldn't Boras want to fly out there to meet the family and cement that relationship up front?

I'm not going to say Boras did something wrong - the guy is a gazillionaire and the top agent in the business - but that just seems odd to me.

Boras is Bubba's advisor and won't be his agent until he actually signs with a team. The NCAA hasn't changed the rules yet and there will be a tightrope to walk or Bubba might end up in the same boat as Logan Ehlers.

I think the kid has a solid base in his family. It seems they like the idea of him attending Nebraska vs. the millions. So many people get caught up in the money vs real life. Does a lot of money guarantee you a great life? Too many people let their value system and ethics fly out the window when the money talks for them; just sayin'. He's the one that has to be happy with his decision though. We're just along for the ride, so to speak. :)

GBR

I think the kid has a solid base in his family. It seems they like the idea of him attending Nebraska vs. the millions. So many people get caught up in the money vs real life. Does a lot of money guarantee you a great life? Too many people let their value system and ethics fly out the window when the money talks for them; just sayin'. He's the one that has to be happy with his decision though. We're just along for the ride, so to speak. :)

GBR

Just look at the NFL and how the players fare once they leave the league. Debt and bankruptcy are rampant because of their bad spending habits.

Just look at some of the players at the NFL draft. When their name was called they walked onto stage with giant diamond earrings and diamond studded watches worth thousands, yet they don't actually have any money yet. It's unsettling.

GBR

Just look at the NFL and how the players fare once they leave the league. Debt and bankruptcy are rampant because of their bad spending habits.

Just look at some of the players at the NFL draft. When their name was called they walked onto stage with giant diamond earrings and diamond studded watches worth thousands, yet they don't actually have any money yet. It's unsettling.

A lot of them already have lots of endorsement money.

If I was in his position I would go pro and take the money. Its too big a risk to go to college with the possibility of career ending injuries or a decline in your production. If pro baseball doesn't work out he can always go back to college and play football.

Suh's family thought the opposite.

And the minor league baseball life is sooo attractive - ask Michael Jordan

If I was in his position I would go pro and take the money. Its too big a risk to go to college with the possibility of career ending injuries or a decline in your production. If pro baseball doesn't work out he can always go back to college and play football.

There is a difference, Suh had one year to go, 13 games. This kid would have 3-4 years to go if he doesnt take the money now.

• Fire 1

Suh was already going to the NFL barring injury. If Bubba takes college football as his route, he potentially gives up his baseball future and stock. Suh came back and had a chance to better his stock even (which he did).

There is only one rational choice here for Bubba I think...and that's baseball. School, and football, can always wait.

Suh also had damn good insurance. If he couldn't go to the NFL, he was going to be rich for the insurance claim.

Also Michael Jordan sucked at Baseball. Huge difference between the two that you can't even remotely compare them.

wow seriously, settle? how is becoming a pro athlete settling? i would love to see the kid in a husker uni as much as the next guy but he has a once in a lifetime chance infront of him. is college football really worth taking a risk of getting hurt and losing out on millions? and besides if baseball doesnt pan out (which i think it will) he can always come back and get his college education after.

oh and if he chooses baseball we will know if he is the next ruth

Yes, College football is worth taking a risk of getting hurt because college football is the greatest sport the earth has ever known. Unfortunately not everyone realizes that.

wow seriously, settle? how is becoming a pro athlete settling? i would love to see the kid in a husker uni as much as the next guy but he has a once in a lifetime chance infront of him. is college football really worth taking a risk of getting hurt and losing out on millions? and besides if baseball doesnt pan out (which i think it will) he can always come back and get his college education after.

oh and if he chooses baseball we will know if he is the next ruth

Yes, College football is worth taking a risk of getting hurt because college football is the greatest sport the earth has ever known. Unfortunately not everyone realizes that.

professionally, you are obviously not a financial adviser, :facepalm: