The Bubba Starling Thread

If I was in his position I would go pro and take the money. Its too big a risk to go to college with the possibility of career ending injuries or a decline in your production. If pro baseball doesn't work out he can always go back to college and play football.

Suh's family thought the opposite.

And the minor league baseball life is sooo attractive - ask Michael Jordan

Suh also had damn good insurance. If he couldn't go to the NFL, he was going to be rich for the insurance claim.

Also Michael Jordan sucked at Baseball. Huge difference between the two that you can't even remotely compare them.

I have always thought the Suh insurance thing interesting, could Bubba Get this? I don't know. From what I read it seems like the Starling family could use the money more the and Suh family. (Not that Suh family was rich but they are solid). I think it will be tougher for Bubba than SUH. As a freshman SUH did not have this kind of money in front of him to go along with a safer sport. No question that a pitcher is safer than a QB at Nebraska; just ask Martinez .... Of course the Bubba insurance will be on baseball and the insurance company may say BS if you play football the risk is too high ......... so even the cold blooded actuaries think passing up baseball money for football is an uninsurable risk. Of course SUH gained millions by staying .... that is why he is a God.

I haven't read any post in this thread, but it is pretty simple. Would you rather make millions of dollars throwing a white ball at a glove, or throw a brown ball while 11 300 pound dudes chase you for potentially no money and risk serious injury.

You could easily flip it around the other way as well.

Would you rather have a hard ball coming at you at 100 miles an hour, with the risk of getting hit in the head and very possibly dying on the spot

or throw a pigskin to 5 recievers while they run and do the work...

You must be joking. Serious injuries related to football occur every year, to nearly every team. How often do you hear about someone "dying on the spot" from getting hit by a pitch? ...I don't think that there is any question that football is the more dangerous sport of the two.

Plus, if Bubba does come to Nebraska, he'll be playing baseball too... So flipping it around is kind of pointless.

Fun fact:To date only one person in the MLB has died due to being hit by a pitch (and that was back in 1920).

You dont see the point, im not debating which one is more dangerous im telling you, you can flip it around. Plus there are more injuries in baseball that require surgery then in football. Just thought you should know..

You can't flip it around. Each sport has its dangers, but there is no question which game results in fewer injuries and long-term damage to your body and brain. Most baseball surgeries are minor stuff. Baseball injuries are usally muscle pulls and the like, or at most, tommy john type surgeries. Football injuries are head injuries, broken bones, or entire joints getting shredded. (Obviously there are exceptions but in general this is the case...)

Here's a good article on the insurance thing. I always wondered how some college kid and families could afford it

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/are_you_in_good_hands.html

"The amount of coverage they can purchase depends on their draft projection. Only athletes expected to be taken in the first three rounds in football or hockey and the first round in basketball or baseball qualify for the program, with a top-10 pick eligible for a $5 million policy. A projected third-round NFL pick, meanwhile, might get $500,000 in coverage."

"Premiums for such policies are costly -- $20,000 to $30,000 a year for the high-end coverage, $5,000 to $8,000 on the low end. To pay for it, the NCAA offers a loan program at 1½ percent above prime"

"it only covers you for an injury where you can't play the game anymore -- not where you tear your ACL and you're not the same player you were before."

That last part I quoted is key. If Bubba hurts a knee and loses some speed and power because he can't drive off his back leg, the policy isn't going to pay off but he's still going to lose out in the draft. That doesn't sound fair, but they don't want someone getting hurt and just being lazy and not rehabbing thinking they'll just collect the policy and that's easy money.

As far as injuries go, baseball is one of the most dangerous sports there is. The constant stopping and starting isn't good on the human body.

Got any statistics or anything at all to back that up, or are you just talking out of your butt?

I can't think of a team sport position that has fewer sudden starts and stops than a baseball outfielder.

As far as injuries go, baseball is one of the most dangerous sports there is. The constant stopping and starting isn't good on the human body.

Got any statistics or anything at all to back that up, or are you just talking out of your butt?

I can't think of a team sport position that has fewer sudden starts and stops than a baseball outfielder.

Statistics? No. Common sense? Yes. Constant was the wrong word on my part, sorry, but you kind of proved my point with your second statement. An outfielder is standing around letting his muscles cool down for an extended amount of time. Then all of a sudden he has to make quick explosive, movements such as sprinting and throwing. Which puts you at greater risk for strains, pulls, tears, ect.. In football, basketball, soccer, ect. you're moving around more so your muscles stay loose and warm.

Only stats I could find are from 96'

LINK to Story

"...data from the U.S. Consumer Produce Safety Commission on injuries treated in emergency rooms."

The Top 15:

Basketball: 512,213

Bicycling: 485,669

Football: 418,260

Soccer: 174,686

Baseball: 155,898

Skateboards: 112,544

Trampolines: 108,029

Softball: 106,884

Swimming/Diving: 82,354

Horseback riding: 73,576

Weightlifting: 65,716

Volleyball: 52,091

Golf: 47,360

Roller skating: 35,003

Wrestling: 33,734

Only stats I could find are from 96'

LINK to Story

"...data from the U.S. Consumer Produce Safety Commission on injuries treated in emergency rooms."

The Top 15:

Basketball: 512,213

Bicycling: 485,669

Football: 418,260

Soccer: 174,686

Baseball: 155,898

Skateboards: 112,544

Trampolines: 108,029

Softball: 106,884

Swimming/Diving: 82,354

Horseback riding: 73,576

Weightlifting: 65,716

Volleyball: 52,091

Golf: 47,360

Roller skating: 35,003

Wrestling: 33,734

I'm sure more people play basketball than wrestle or roller skate. Those aren't exactly acccurate statistics. A lot of sports injuries wouldn't require ER visits either. You think Zac Lee was rushed to the ER for his elbow injury? I doubt it.

He plans to arrive in Lincoln on July 10th, the draft is on June 6th.

Also the Anderson firing doesn't apear to have much influence on his decision.

"No, definitely not," said Starling, who noted that he also is close with others on the Husker baseball staff, including former NU football-baseball standout and major leaguer Darin Erstad.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_b14edbae-d6a1-5976-9dae-05df29afa3a9.html