The Bubba Starling Thread

Mitch Sherman, formerly of the OWH and now with ESPN, wrote an article saying Bubba has a big decision to make. Not much new, but well-written:

The Bubba plan

NU used athletic director Tom Osborne to deliver the message during a Starling visit to Lincoln, Neb., in the summer of 2010.

"They had it on poster board -- every day, where Bubba needs to be for football, baseball, everything," said Starling's father, Jimbo Starling. "That's when Bubba looked over at me and said, 'I want to go to school here.'"

Good writer. Needs juuuuuuuust a bit of help from ESPY on the video stuff though. I dunno, maybe a microphone on these guys?

Mitch Sherman, formerly of the OWH and now with ESPN, wrote an article saying Bubba has a big decision to make. Not much new, but well-written:

The Bubba plan

NU used athletic director Tom Osborne to deliver the message during a Starling visit to Lincoln, Neb., in the summer of 2010.

"They had it on poster board -- every day, where Bubba needs to be for football, baseball, everything," said Starling's father, Jimbo Starling. "That's when Bubba looked over at me and said, 'I want to go to school here.'"

Good writer. Needs juuuuuuuust a bit of help from ESPY on the video stuff though. I dunno, maybe a microphone on these guys?

I loved this part:

In the home clubhouse at Kauffman Stadium, team staffers often approach outfielder Alex Gordon to discuss Starling. Gordon played baseball at Nebraska, with which Starling has signed to play football and baseball.

"For sure, I think it'd be great to see him on the football field," Gordon said. "I want him to go to college. I'm a Husker fan before I'm a Royals fan.

"Don't tell anybody that."

• Fire 1

I loved this part:

In the home clubhouse at Kauffman Stadium, team staffers often approach outfielder Alex Gordon to discuss Starling. Gordon played baseball at Nebraska, with which Starling has signed to play football and baseball.

"For sure, I think it'd be great to see him on the football field," Gordon said. "I want him to go to college. I'm a Husker fan before I'm a Royals fan.

"Don't tell anybody that."

Haha I love it!

Can some explain something to me? It says in one of those ESPN articles that Bubba will be getting advice, like we all knew, but wasn't Ehlers suspended for like 1/3 or the year for getting advice from an agent? Could Bubba get the same punishment?

The adviser is not allowed to negotiate the pro contract or have contact with the pro team. I think that's what the NCAA said that Ehlers' adviser did, saying that he acted as an agent. So I guess Bubba can tell Boras what the pro team offers, and Boras can tell him what to ask for in return or how to act (like, be seen working out in Lincoln, don't return their call for a few days, etc), but Boras can't sit in on the negotiations or handle them in any way for Bubba.

Can some explain something to me? It says in one of those ESPN articles that Bubba will be getting advice, like we all knew, but wasn't Ehlers suspended for like 1/3 or the year for getting advice from an agent? Could Bubba get the same punishment?

The adviser is not allowed to negotiate the pro contract or have contact with the pro team. I think that's what the NCAA said that Ehlers' adviser did, saying that he acted as an agent. So I guess Bubba can tell Boras what the pro team offers, and Boras can tell him what to ask for in return or how to act (like, be seen working out in Lincoln, don't return their call for a few days, etc), but Boras can't sit in on the negotiations or handle them in any way for Bubba.

Thanks, this is very helpful info.

No, I completely agree. He should definitely change his name. He should even add 'Master' Derek Starling. Or maybe 'Esq.' Derek Starling. No, better yet drop Derek, and go with Esq. Edward Starling. Wait, they can track his last name to "backwater" Kansas. 'Esq. Edward Windsor'. Now people will take him seriously. But aren't baseball and football such barbaric sports. Give it up and play polo. Now there's a sophisticated game.