The Bubba Starling Thread

He plans to arrive in Lincoln on July 10th, the draft is on June 6th.

Also the Anderson firing doesn't apear to have much influence on his decision.

"No, definitely not," said Starling, who noted that he also is close with others on the Husker baseball staff, including former NU football-baseball standout and major leaguer Darin Erstad.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_b14edbae-d6a1-5976-9dae-05df29afa3a9.html

The conversation in it's entirety isn't as convincing. He ends w/ the classic "I guess" - in other words he's not to sure of the situation. I don't think anyone can say this is a positive development in regards to Bubba.

"I've got a great relationship with all those guys. But it's sad, yeah, seeing (Anderson) go. I liked him as a person and as a coach. That's why I chose to play up there, because he let Khiry Cooper do that (and play two sports). Seeing him go and all that is kind of sad and everything, but it's the best for Nebraska I guess."

Even if he did come here, which I don't think he will, he would be at a disadvantage developing as a QB if he plays both sports. He wouldn't be able to practice during the spring ... that would slow his development. And you would think a QB would need more time on the practice field than let's say a RB or a WR. And look at Cooper ... could this be a reason why he hasn't yet shown much? Not saying for sure, but looking at the possibility.

i guess we need another poll to solve this question....

i mean i cant speak for everyone here and putting potential bias aside what would you do if you were in Bubbas shoes.....

and if enough of us are thinking the same thing perhaps we already know the answer........

i mean i cant speak for everyone here and putting potential bias aside what would you do if you were in Bubbas shoes.....

and if enough of us are thinking the same thing perhaps we already know the answer........

Personally, I would go to college. All I would be thinking about in the back of mind would be if I had some sort of career ending injury before I ever got a chance to make something of myself in the big leagues.

I know there's guaranteed money involved, but I still personally believe an education is extremely important even if you never need to use it. It's better to have it and not need it, and then need it and not have it.

Personally, I would go to college. All I would be thinking about in the back of mind would be if I had some sort of career ending injury before I ever got a chance to make something of myself in the big leagues.

I know there's guaranteed money involved, but I still personally believe an education is extremely important even if you never need to use it. It's better to have it and not need it, and then need it and not have it.

A lot of times when kids come out of high school they can negotiate a back up plan into their contract. Like if he does suffer from a career ending injury, then the team will pay for his college. At least I have heard of this as a possibility.

A lot of times when kids come out of high school they can negotiate a back up plan into their contract. Like if he does suffer from a career ending injury, then the team will pay for his college. At least I have heard of this as a possibility.

I'm not certain - but I don't even believe this is something that is negotiated...it's just expected. At least for everyone in the upper rounds. I've heard it's pretty much a standard to any baseball contract for these HS players.

Unless he's really passionate about a certain major or field of study, I would have a VERY difficult time finding the motivation to do schoolwork knowing that it was in likelihood irrelevant. If he does end up at Nebraska, I applaud him, it would take some serious character. Can't blame him one bit if he doesn't.

Turning down a guarnteed 4-8 million dollars for a college education is not on the smart side. You can go to college anytime. The family needs money and he has it at his beckon call.

Listening to College Nation yesterday, Mike Leach made the comment that his QB would never be a two sport player, commenting about a kid that was leaving a school to go to Auburn I think. He stated he would not allow it and felt most coaches would not allow it, any other postion on the team it would be okay, but not the QB. Year around to the football team, no exceptions, showing leadership and dedication to the team was the goal.

I would guess it will end up the same way here. You can not have your QB missing spring practice to play baseball or off to the minors for summer ball.

Again, there is very little to worry about, unless the Starling family raises a lot of money soon, Bubba will be playing baseball full time, with millions of dollars to invest and surpass most college graduates incomes. Nice piece of paper to have, but not necessary when you start out at 18 making millions for playing a game. He is just saying the right things to increase is value to the baseball world is my guess. 1 in a 1000 that he ever plays a down at Nebraska, before his baseball career. Waste of time worrying about it.

Unless he's really passionate about a certain major or field of study, I would have a VERY difficult time finding the motivation to do schoolwork knowing that it was in likelihood irrelevant. If he does end up at Nebraska, I applaud him, it would take some serious character. Can't blame him one bit if he doesn't.

100% on the money.

There is endless tens of thousands of college grads unemployed or working in a field that has nothing to do with their major in college whatsoever. That trend is growing faster all the time and has for decades. Throw in that the vast majority of cfb grads are not in any hard science major and it's even more so.

I think his decision comes down to what counts the most to him.....his heart or his head. Like Moose said, I don't blame whatever he decides.

(In response to CN Red's question)

Elway did it, played pro in 1982 before his senior year of college after 3 years (I think) of college baseball. Danny Ainge played pro ball out of HS, including parts of 3 years in MLB while going to BYU for basketball.

I don't really think a pro team would offer Bubba many million$ to let him leave late in the season to risk getting hurt playing football. It's possible that he could negotiate football in the contract with a concession on his bonus.

Would Nebraska let him play pro baseball and college football? I don't see why not, if he came for the start of fall practice. Better than nothing, right? Perhaps they'd ask him to pay his own way so he wasn't using a scholarship, since he could easily afford it. Then there's really no risk except for him taking snaps away from another QB.