The Bubba Starling Thread

I just seen on a Nebraska Cornhusker's facebook post that Bubba said he'll be here for summer conditioning. Did anyone else see this? Also, itsn't it a coincedence with the MLB draft being in a week or two

I heard the guys on Unsportsmanlike Conduct talking about this, as well. They made it sound like him enrolling in the second summer session was a done deal.

He is going to be here in July for conditioning, has until Aug.14 to sign a baseball deal.

Mom says he needs to mature, and college would really help him do that.

Money wise i cannot see him being here, but never underestimate the power of MOM!

I still give it a 1% chance, but still a chance!

Remember Bo Jackson, baseball-football decision!

I just seen on a Nebraska Cornhusker's facebook post that Bubba said he'll be here for summer conditioning. Did anyone else see this? Also, itsn't it a coincedence with the MLB draft being in a week or two

I heard the guys on Unsportsmanlike Conduct talking about this, as well. They made it sound like him enrolling in the second summer session was a done deal.

It is a done deal, he will be here in July. But like everyone else I don't think he will stick around for very long.

It is a done deal, he will be here in July. But like everyone else I don't think he will stick around for very long.

Sounds like a done deal only that he enrolled. Whether he actually even shows up, much less stays, depends on the draft and contract negotiations, and of course his college vs. pro decision.

As far as injuries go, baseball is one of the most dangerous sports there is. The constant stopping and starting isn't good on the human body.

Got any statistics or anything at all to back that up, or are you just talking out of your butt?

I can't think of a team sport position that has fewer sudden starts and stops than a baseball outfielder.

Statistics? No. Common sense? Yes. Constant was the wrong word on my part, sorry, but you kind of proved my point with your second statement. An outfielder is standing around letting his muscles cool down for an extended amount of time. Then all of a sudden he has to make quick explosive, movements such as sprinting and throwing. Which puts you at greater risk for strains, pulls, tears, ect.. In football, basketball, soccer, ect. you're moving around more so your muscles stay loose and warm.

This is pretty insane, really. There is no more of a stop and start sport than football. It is a guarantee that you stop for around 30 seconds between plays, but then you are on the sidelines between offensive or defensive series, there are special teams players that see the field only 5 or 10 times a game, and many times, different packages are subbed in and out and formations are used. It really isn't that big of an issue in baseball; an outfielder might see one or two hits a game where they actually have to run. Baserunning, now that is stressful, running in a circle. Not. Baseball can be dangerous, no doubt about it. Stuff happens all the time. But when you add in the fact that football is start-and-stop AND full-speed, all-out contact on every play, that is where the difference is. If Bubba really wants to have the best future he can have, he should go straight to pro baseball, unfortunately. Baseball players have much longer careers than football players and are much healthier afterwards.

And VA Husker Fan's point was that yes, outfielders have starts and stops. But they are few and far between. They also involve running purely in a straight line as opposed to cutting, spinning, juking, and getting drilled by a 240-lb linebacker.

I know that this has been said before (I didn't read every single post), but I agree with the few or majority who say the there is NO way he is here RIGHT NOW. I can, in no way, see a kid or family turning down guaranteed millions for a college education.....and YES, I am a teacher.... College will ALWAYS be there, the guarantee of millions of dollars will not always be handed to you.

If he ends up at NU, it will be on the basis that he gives pro ball a shot for 3-4 years, ala Weeden, then returns to college to pursue his education and another sport, in this case football. I believe Nebraska would be the place he would attend (Do they have to let him out of his LOI ???)..

Just my opinion, but anyone who is trying to argue that he is better off turning down the $$$ is just trying to give themselves some form of HOPE to hold onto....and for those people saying that.... I wonder how many of them, in today's economy would turn down millions to get a degree, in which, over 30% of people with degrees can't find work in their specific area..... FALSE HOPE PEOPLE.

I know that this has been said before (I didn't read every single post), but I agree with the few or majority who say the there is NO way he is here RIGHT NOW. I can, in no way, see a kid or family turning down guaranteed millions for a college education.....and YES, I am a teacher.... College will ALWAYS be there, the guarantee of millions of dollars will not always be handed to you.

If he ends up at NU, it will be on the basis that he gives pro ball a shot for 3-4 years, ala Weeden, then returns to college to pursue his education and another sport, in this case football. I believe Nebraska would be the place he would attend (Do they have to let him out of his LOI ???)..

Just my opinion, but anyone who is trying to argue that he is better off turning down the $$$ is just trying to give themselves some form of HOPE to hold onto....and for those people saying that.... I wonder how many of them, in today's economy would turn down millions to get a degree, in which, over 30% of people with degrees can't find work in their specific area..... FALSE HOPE PEOPLE.

Better than no hope, plus I am hoping more for the baseball team than football!

There is a class at Stanford, the teacher created it, it is a class where you work with a partner to work on designing and creating apps for phones. Well, so far, lots of the students in the class have done very well for themselves, leading a few to drop of of Stanford to work on apps full time or work for companies that hired them or sold the company they started and are working on new app designs. They LEFT Stanford!

My point is, take the money when you have the chance. His "app" is his baseball. Take the money now.

If you worked on something and designed something cool that people wanted and you had to leave school, not go to school, quit your current job, wouldnt most of you do it?

If the guys who started this board were getting 25 cents a day from each poster plus lets say, 15,000 a month in AD revune, wouldnt they take it and leave their current job?

As far as injuries go, baseball is one of the most dangerous sports there is. The constant stopping and starting isn't good on the human body.

Got any statistics or anything at all to back that up, or are you just talking out of your butt?

I can't think of a team sport position that has fewer sudden starts and stops than a baseball outfielder.

Statistics? No. Common sense? Yes. Constant was the wrong word on my part, sorry, but you kind of proved my point with your second statement. An outfielder is standing around letting his muscles cool down for an extended amount of time. Then all of a sudden he has to make quick explosive, movements such as sprinting and throwing. Which puts you at greater risk for strains, pulls, tears, ect.. In football, basketball, soccer, ect. you're moving around more so your muscles stay loose and warm.

This is pretty insane, really. There is no more of a stop and start sport than football. It is a guarantee that you stop for around 30 seconds between plays, but then you are on the sidelines between offensive or defensive series, there are special teams players that see the field only 5 or 10 times a game, and many times, different packages are subbed in and out and formations are used. It really isn't that big of an issue in baseball; an outfielder might see one or two hits a game where they actually have to run. Baserunning, now that is stressful, running in a circle. Not. Baseball can be dangerous, no doubt about it. Stuff happens all the time. But when you add in the fact that football is start-and-stop AND full-speed, all-out contact on every play, that is where the difference is. If Bubba really wants to have the best future he can have, he should go straight to pro baseball, unfortunately. Baseball players have much longer careers than football players and are much healthier afterwards.

And VA Husker Fan's point was that yes, outfielders have starts and stops. But they are few and far between. They also involve running purely in a straight line as opposed to cutting, spinning, juking, and getting drilled by a 240-lb linebacker.

It's not insane, you just missed my point (which is partly my fault because I misspoke in my first post). The few and far between starts is what increases the risk of injury. In football, kickers are warming up on the sideline. In baseball, players are standing around or sitting in the dugout for extended amounts of time letting their muscles cool down. When your muscles aren't warm and loose you're at greater risk of injury, true fact. That was my whole point, nothing further. I wasn't trying to prove it was more dangerous than football. There's just a common misconception that there aren't many injuries in baseball, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Don't read anything into the fact that Bubba is enrolling and participating in Summer drills. This has always been part of the plan.

Nothing means anything until August 15th. If Bubba hasn't signed a contract by midnight, then we have something to talk about.

Don't read anything into the fact that Bubba is enrolling and participating in Summer drills. This has always been part of the plan.

Nothing means anything until August 15th. If Bubba hasn't signed a contract by midnight, then we have something to talk about.

I think it will go all the way down to the wire as well. I have seen several mock drafts, the lowest I have seen him is 9th, the highest 2nd. Bubba won't drop past 5 IMO.