The Bubba Starling Thread

Before Saturday, I was sure he'd go to baseball.

Then I read the ESPN spread about him and really felt convinced that he might come to Nebraska after all. The stars seemed to be aligning with the Erstad hire, his family's clear (and, I think, genuine) expectation/desire that he would come to Nebraska, and the fact that he doesn't seem like the type of character to put money over the more fundamental things in life like an education, friends, family, and the college experience.

Then I saw that he'd been drafted by the Royals and something told me that this was the one scenario he might have set for himself where, if it happens, his decision is made and he's going to baseball.

One question I have for people who know more than me about baseball (which is easy to do, as I know very little about it): How long do the Royals retain Bubba's draft rights? For example, a player in the NBA can be drafted by a club, but then decide to go play in Europe for awhile before actually coming to the NBA. The deal, though, is that that player cannot play in the NBA without being traded/released/etc. by the club that drafted him.

Does it work that way in baseball? Suppose Bubba comes here and plays for four or five years, then decides he wants to play MLB when he graduates. Would the Royals still have the rights to Bubba? Would he likely still be able to get a decent amount of money?

Expected and reality are two different things. Draft projections are all talk until they happen, wasn't Rendon supposed to go higher, for example? Plus Bubba could've gone higher to another team, and it seems a bit more likely he'd want to play in his neighborhood with the Royals.

Pro baseball teams talk to players before the draft like they do in football, don't they? If he seemed pretty serious about football, a sign would've been a lot of teams taking a pass on him. That didn't happen. The Royals are either taking a gamble, or from talking with him know they have a good chance to sign him.

All this is info that points to it being less likely he'll be a Husker. Nothing shocking, but there's nothing at all here that makes it more likely.

I suppose there was a Prince Amukamara's chance that Bubba fell to the 20th pick or so, but it would have had to be the perfect draft for that to happen. We're talking three chances in 100. The other 97% of the time a player with Bubba's abilities is going to be drafted in the top ten, same as Prince.

I feel bad that this comes as a surprise to you. The easy money was on Bubba getting drafted this high and it always has been. Now we just have to see if he wants to play college football.

Coincidentally, the same situation we were in this time yesterday.

Where did I say I was surprised? I feel bad for you, that you have to twist what people write to try to make your point.

Of course we all figured Bubba was going high, probably to the Royals. But fact holds a lot more water than speculation.

Hujan, if he doesn't sign with the Royals by Aug 15, the Royals lose his rights. He's off limits for 3 years, then he is eligible for the draft again. Whether he gets good money depends on how he does in college ball, and whether he gets hurt playing football. College may expose a hitting weakness, or he may just tear up all pitching and be #1 after 3 years.

Expected and reality are two different things. Draft projections are all talk until they happen, wasn't Rendon supposed to go higher, for example? Plus Bubba could've gone higher to another team, and it seems a bit more likely he'd want to play in his neighborhood with the Royals.

Pro baseball teams talk to players before the draft like they do in football, don't they? If he seemed pretty serious about football, a sign would've been a lot of teams taking a pass on him. That didn't happen. The Royals are either taking a gamble, or from talking with him know they have a good chance to sign him.

All this is info that points to it being less likely he'll be a Husker. Nothing shocking, but there's nothing at all here that makes it more likely.

I suppose there was a Prince Amukamara's chance that Bubba fell to the 20th pick or so, but it would have had to be the perfect draft for that to happen. We're talking three chances in 100. The other 97% of the time a player with Bubba's abilities is going to be drafted in the top ten, same as Prince.

I feel bad that this comes as a surprise to you. The easy money was on Bubba getting drafted this high and it always has been. Now we just have to see if he wants to play college football.

Coincidentally, the same situation we were in this time yesterday.

Where did I say I was surprised? I feel bad for you, that you have to twist what people write to try to make your point.

Of course we all figured Bubba was going high, probably to the Royals. But fact holds a lot more water than speculation.

Hujan, if he doesn't sign with the Royals by Aug 15, the Royals lose his rights. He's off limits for 3 years, then he is eligible for the draft again. Whether he gets good money depends on how he does in college ball, and whether he gets hurt playing football. College may expose a hitting weakness, or he may just tear up all pitching and be #1 after 3 years.

Well, now that we all feel bad for each other we can get back to what we were always going to do today - sit around and wait for Bubba to decide if he's going to college or the pros.

Another Joe Mauer. It's all great being a Minny fan and rooting for the do-no-wrong, hometown kid ... until he gets weak legs. I'm guessing Joe wishes he was playing somewhere else right now, without all the added pressure of being the in-state star. Just like Bubba, Joe had signed as a college QB (but was top-rated player in nation, heading to FSU) and got drafted by hometown club. Twins almost didn't sign Joe. He was about ready to head to Florida State when the deal was signed. I see this as being the exact same thing.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Thanks for all the love and the positive press that came along with it. Go Big Red!

Well, there couldn't have been a worse team to pick him... Now he can be close to home AND a millionaire.

The only good thing about KC drafting him is they are soooooo cheap they may not be willing to pay what Boras wants them to.

While this may have been true at one time, the Royals have changed when it comes to the draft. I think 3 of their last 4 first round picks have been Boras clients and they've signed them all. The Royals are no longer afraid to spend money on the draft.

Well, there couldn't have been a worse team to pick him... Now he can be close to home AND a millionaire.

The only good thing about KC drafting him is they are soooooo cheap they may not be willing to pay what Boras wants them to.

We shall see, they gave Alex 4 mil as a signing bonus. I can see them throwing an extra 1.5/2 mil on that to keep Bubba away from football

The royals have actually over paid the last couple of years for their draft position. Scotty B also gave the number to every pro team in the top 25 picks the exact number it would take for Bubba to sign with baseball regardless of where he was drafted. He could have gone #1 to #101 and he was going to ask for the same amount. The Royals management stated last night they were very confident they'd have Bubba with the club by Aug 15 and the numbers were reasonable. The only way things really change is if Bubba's numbers go up and knowing the family that's not likely.

It goes back to what I've been saying. If he loves football more than baseball he's at NU. Football is the only reason he comes to NU. (and he does have a very strong desire to try it at the next level) If he's going to be a baseball first guy he's gone.

Whats too bad for us at NU is that pro baseball (right now) pays so much better than any other professional sport. The length of career is much greater and the retirement package is much much better than other sports.

Playing for KC is like playing for Colorado; no one wants to do it unless they really have to.

WTF are you talking about?????? First of all, he's a homebody who(at least according to his mother & sister), doesn't sound at all like he's ready to dive into the real world. Well, that barrier pretty much just got thrown out the window with him being drafted by KC. That is an absolute DREAM situation for him. As far as Colorado, I guess you missed the fact that they were in the world series in 2007. Not to mention that as a hitter, it's the best place in the world to inflate your stats.

Somebody has been smoking too much of that Oregon hippy hay. Christ

That stuff is pretty good, actually. Better than your posts, that's for sure! (Just messing with you.) :LOLtartar

Bubba Starling was going to face a difficult decision about his future regardless. On Monday, that decision became even tougher.

Starling's intention all along was to go to Nebraska, where he has signed to play quarterback. But the multi-sport star was drafted No. 5 overall by the Kansas City Royals, which makes things more interesting. Starling is from Gardner, Kan., which is about a half-hour drive to Kansas City.

"I was smiling, of course,” Starling told reporters on Monday night. “It’s kind of cool, after growing up as a Royals’ fan, to get to stay home now, possibly. Definitely, I enjoyed the time with my family.

“I turned to my mom and gave her a huge hug. There was a little emotion coming out.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/27589/tough-decision-awaits-bubba-starling