The Bubba Starling Thread

Why is everyone spinning his coming here as a negotiating tactic? Because Green left and we need a new Husker QB to rip on? This was Bubba's path to NU since he signed back in February. He could have gone in the 5th round of the draft and he still would have shown up in July, just like he is. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The fact that he hasn't enrolled in classes means nothing. If you want to pry some little meaning out of it....I'd say if he was trying to use this "trip" as a negotiating tool he would have enrolled in classes, because he'd want to try and show the Royals he is even MORE committed to going to Nebraska. I don't see the rest of our committs enrolled in classes. Shoudl we be worried about them too? Maybe he didn't enroll because he's going to be here to start classes in late August so why bother? Or maybe he didn't enroll because he doesn't want to be overwhelmed. Maybe he didn't enroll because classes suck and if he doesn't have to then what's the point? Who wants to take classes when they don't have to, especially if you plan on being here for the next 4 years anyway. He's not paying for anything, no point in hurrying sh!t along.

I'd like to see the Husker staff tell him to decide first, or not to show up.

Nobody should treat this program as a second class choice, and Husker football is nobody's "negotiating tactic". He may be a great athlete, and if he wants to play football I'd love to see him in red, but he needs to quit using Husker football as a tool.

I agree if he is using it as a negotiating tool. But in thinking as a coach, I would let him come and try to persuade him in staying. Hell, just being with kids his own age might have a change of heart with him. (just that .001% chance alone, I would let him come).

There is a chance that he might not totally know what he wants to do yet. Yeah, the money would be great and I would take it and I would hope he takes it too but maybe right now he is still a bit undecided, so why not let him come to pratice. I dont think he is treating NU like it is second class, he is not comparing it to another football program, he did that already and NU won out. Now he is comparing it to his possible future job.

If I'm Bo I don't care if he is using it as a negotiating tactic. It still gets him up here and then from there people can get into his ear. Also, he can still form bonds with teammates, and if he does go baseball and things don't work out, he would probably be more apt to come back to Nebraska and try football.

We can all put Nebraska up on a pedestal all we want, but when it comes to family and you can help your family out by using something to your advantage that doesn't hurt anyone/anything else then why wouldn't you??!!

But truthfully IMO, I think he came up to see what things are like. He wanted to be a kid and hang with the guys and have some fun. The last month or so can't have been too much fun for him I don't think. Lots of pressure.

Bubba as a Royal is a lock. There is no way that Dayton Moore drafts him otherwise. Starling should be the pick that cements the Royals return to the ALCS. The Royals are too close to screw this up.

Not disputing that he ends up a Royal, but the reason will be money. Also, he is not what puts the Royals over the top. They need pitching more than a center fielder at this point.

Absolutely! Bubba won't be passing Melky Cabrera. He'll have a few years to work through the minors. That being said, the fact that he is right next to home on his childhood team is HUGE! A big factor for Bubba is being comfortable, and I bet he's a heck of a lot more comfortable in KC than he would be in Seattle or DC.

Obviously it will take a few years in the minors before he plays in KC or even Omaha. NOBODY jumps right to the majors from high school. Regarding pitching the top four on the Royals board all went before their pick so it was a no-brainer to take Bubba. The Royals have plenty of highly touted pitching prospects on the cusp of arriving in KC and most will there a couple seasons before Bubba even arrives.

Just a question because I'm not sure and don't have the resources right now to look it up. How long was Felix Hernandez in the minors? I thought he was pitching for the Mariners pretty young. Although even if that is the case, I would say that is an exception not the rule

Bubba as a Royal is a lock. There is no way that Dayton Moore drafts him otherwise. Starling should be the pick that cements the Royals return to the ALCS. The Royals are too close to screw this up.

Not disputing that he ends up a Royal, but the reason will be money. Also, he is not what puts the Royals over the top. They need pitching more than a center fielder at this point.

Absolutely! Bubba won't be passing Melky Cabrera. He'll have a few years to work through the minors. That being said, the fact that he is right next to home on his childhood team is HUGE! A big factor for Bubba is being comfortable, and I bet he's a heck of a lot more comfortable in KC than he would be in Seattle or DC.

Obviously it will take a few years in the minors before he plays in KC or even Omaha. NOBODY jumps right to the majors from high school. Regarding pitching the top four on the Royals board all went before their pick so it was a no-brainer to take Bubba. The Royals have plenty of highly touted pitching prospects on the cusp of arriving in KC and most will there a couple seasons before Bubba even arrives.

Just a question because I'm not sure and don't have the resources right now to look it up. How long was Felix Hernandez in the minors? I thought he was pitching for the Mariners pretty young. Although even if that is the case, I would say that is an exception not the rule

19 but he started minor league ball at 17. Ain't many Felixs though haha, that's a rare occasion.

Hernandez signed with the Mariners as an amateur free agent at 16. He played two and a half years in the minors while he was 17 to 19 before being called up to the Majors midway through the 2005 season while still 19.

BTW The Angels just called up Mike Trout today at the age of 19 after two and a half seasons in the minors.

Why is everyone spinning his coming here as a negotiating tactic? Because Green left and we need a new Husker QB to rip on? This was Bubba's path to NU since he signed back in February. He could have gone in the 5th round of the draft and he still would have shown up in July, just like he is. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The fact that he hasn't enrolled in classes means nothing. If you want to pry some little meaning out of it....I'd say if he was trying to use this "trip" as a negotiating tool he would have enrolled in classes, because he'd want to try and show the Royals he is even MORE committed to going to Nebraska. I don't see the rest of our committs enrolled in classes. Shoudl we be worried about them too? Maybe he didn't enroll because he's going to be here to start classes in late August so why bother? Or maybe he didn't enroll because he doesn't want to be overwhelmed. Maybe he didn't enroll because classes suck and if he doesn't have to then what's the point? Who wants to take classes when they don't have to, especially if you plan on being here for the next 4 years anyway. He's not paying for anything, no point in hurrying sh!t along.

I would like to think you are right! But first things first, lets see if he shows up this weekend!

Because a 5th overall baseball draft pick isn't going to be playing in college, let alone college football. It's naive to think otherwise. The fact he hasn't signed with the Royals already is purely so he can get the maximum amount when he does. Two things will increase his value, besides where he was chosen in the draft. The deadline to sign approaching in a month and showing he has serious demand elsewhere.

I'm not ripping on the kid, nor do I care that ultimately that's what this is. I think he'd make a great husker, but I am not about to delude myself into thinking there is even a small chance he won't be playing pro baseball next year. He wouldn't have been drafted where he was if he was "a huge project" or whatever the Royals are saying lately to try and drive his price down. It's theater on both sides and part of the pro-sports contract negotiating process.

You can frame my being a realist about it as negativity towards a player if you want I guess. I think that's a symptom of it not being what we as husker fans would like to hear, but by all means have at it.

I guess we'll see in a month and 7 days.

He could in theory have an agreement in place with Kansas City, the only problem is the MLB corporate office wont approve any deal that is a certain percentage over recommended slot. 6.2 mill is the number I am hearing as well which is double recommended slot, and one of the top 5 bonuses for a player not to get a major league contract. Needless to say to come to Nebraska he would have to seriously love the Big Red and believe he could be the #1 pick in three years.

if you drink the kool aid then you say yes it might make a difference. The reality is that he will make a ton more money playing baseball, and he can always come back to college if his mlb career doesn't take off. In addition, if he is looking at the future, the Royals are stocking up on young players and have an excellent farm system (best in baseball). By the time he is major league ready, they will be in the hunt for a division title.

if you drink the kool aid then you say yes it might make a difference. The reality is that he will make a ton more money playing baseball, and he can always come back to college if his mlb career doesn't take off. In addition, if he is looking at the future, the Royals are stocking up on young players and have an excellent farm system (best in baseball). By the time he is major league ready, they will be in the hunt for a division title.

I really doubt the hunt for division title, been a royals fan for years, pretty pesemistic on that one.

Some bloggers down in Missouri are saying, more like 10 million to sign. Hard to believe that.

Still waiting to see if he makes it to Lincoln this weekend. I find that hard to believe!

He will be in Lincoln this weekend, his parents said so. The question is, will he stay in Lincoln? Aug 5th is when Fall Camp starts for the Huskers, and his dad fully expects Bubba to be practicing with the Huskers at that point.