The Bubba Starling Thread

Anyone have any kind of article talking about the restrictions placed on a draftee? Everyone keeps discussing these restrictions the Royals place on Bubba...yet I can't see any grounds for it. He hasn't signed anything, hasn't been paid anything. Other than picking his name off a list the Royals have done nothing to earn themselves a postion to place restrictions on the kid IMO.

I'm sure in normal situations it's in the athletes best interest to take it easy prior to signing on the line - but even then it would be the players' voluntary doing and in no way could it be dictated by the team. Take the NFL lockout for example, those teams have absolutely no say over their 'current, signed' players at this point, let alone their draftees. How could the Royals have any say over an unsigned kid who's not even a member of the club. Legally speaking I'd assume they have no more influence over Bubba than they have over me.

If he's going to eventually sign is it in his best interest to remain healthy? Of course. But do the Royals have any influence on that? None IMO. If they want that luxury, sign and pay the boy.

Anyone have any kind of article talking about the restrictions placed on a draftee? Everyone keeps discussing these restrictions the Royals place on Bubba...yet I can't see any grounds for it. He hasn't signed anything, hasn't been paid anything. Other than picking his name off a list the Royals have done nothing to earn themselves a postion to place restrictions on the kid IMO.

I'm sure in normal situations it's in the athletes best interest to take it easy prior to signing on the line - but even then it would be the players' voluntary doing and in no way could it be dictated by the team. Take the NFL lockout for example, those teams have absolutely no say over their 'current, signed' players at this point, let alone their draftees. How could the Royals have any say over an unsigned kid who's not even a member of the club. Legally speaking I'd assume they have no more influence over Bubba than they have over me.

If he's going to eventually sign is it in his best interest to remain healthy? Of course. But do the Royals have any influence on that? None IMO. If they want that luxury, sign and pay the boy.

You're right, it is his choice to sign or not. The only power they have is forcing him to re-enter the draft in a couple years, should he not sign.

A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

So should he not sign by the deadline he would be ineligible till he is 21 or after his junior year.

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;

College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old

Guaranteed Millions now for the possibility of making money as a NFL player 3-5 years down the road? That makes no sense, especially since after the lockout ends the Rookie Pay Scale will knock down what incoming players will be making.

I don't think that's the dilemma. I think he's trying to decide between guaranteed millions now, and a college career that would feature both football and baseball, after which he would enter the MLB draft, hopefully still be a top 5 pick, and get millions a few years from now. My guess is it's not between professional baseball and professional football - he's trying to pick between the Carl Crawford route and the Darin Erstad route. I think he wants to be in the MLB one way or another, he's just got to figure out whether he's willing to risk it in order to try to have it all.

Guaranteed Millions now for the possibility of making money as a NFL player 3-5 years down the road? That makes no sense, especially since after the lockout ends the Rookie Pay Scale will knock down what incoming players will be making.

I don't think that's the dilemma. I think he's trying to decide between guaranteed millions now, and a college career that would feature both football and baseball, after which he would enter the MLB draft, hopefully still be a top 5 pick, and get millions a few years from now. My guess is it's not between professional baseball and professional football - he's trying to pick between the Carl Crawford route and the Darin Erstad route. I think he wants to be in the MLB one way or another, he's just got to figure out whether he's willing to risk it in order to try to have it all.

I don’t think that is his dilemma either.

I was referring to this post:

I read he was going to take some class(es) right away this summer.

Here T_O_B's $.02 worth. Baseball, for pitchers, is a bit different. Look at Stephen Strasburg, phenom for 4/5 games and then Tommy John surgery. He might never really be a factor again. $6.2 mil? compared to first round NFL money is a spit in the wind.

I think Bubba's gonna play FB and maybe even some BB at Nebraska.

T_O_B

:bigredn::bigredn::bigredn:

Apparently Bubba is enrolled in summer classes. Probably doesn't mean much but its a good sign.

Link

This means he is forced to sign by 8/15/11 or go to school.

As soon as he was drafted he had an 8/15 deadline. Summer class enrollment has nothing to do with that. And if he doesn't sign by 8/15, he could sit on his front porch instead of going to school. I'm sure he won't, but "forced" isn't correct.

Apparently Bubba is enrolled in summer classes. Probably doesn't mean much but its a good sign.

Link

This means he is forced to sign by 8/15/11 or go to school.

As soon as he was drafted he had an 8/15 deadline. Summer class enrollment has nothing to do with that. And if he doesn't sign by 8/15, he could sit on his front porch instead of going to school. I'm sure he won't, but "forced" isn't correct.

I said "forced" because of the rules according to the MLB. Bubba has entered school, which is why the deadline is in play. Had he just sat out and not enrolled anywhere, the Royals would have had his rights till next years draft. By entering into school, he is forced to sign by 8/15.

A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis.

I think the "forced" thing language is important, too. Not only is Bubba "forced" to sign with the Royals, but the Royals are "forced" to sign him as well. Signing up for classes means Bubba & Boras aren't interested in letting the negotiations drag on into the Fall. It's a line in the sand, and an effort to maintain control by Bubba's team.

I think the "forced" thing language is important, too. Not only is Bubba "forced" to sign with the Royals, but the Royals are "forced" to sign him as well. Signing up for classes means Bubba & Boras aren't interested in letting the negotiations drag on into the Fall. It's a line in the sand, and an effort to maintain control by Bubba's team.

Bubba now must either sign or sit out. He could have chose not to go to school, sit out, then re-enter the draft next year, in theory. The Royals are not forced to sign him, they just retain his rights till the following draft. All the rules are at the link I posted, which is on MLB's own website.

Bubba now must either sign or sit out. He could have chose not to go to school, sit out, then re-enter the draft next year, in theory. The Royals are not forced to sign him, they just retain his rights till the following draft. All the rules are at the link I posted, which is on MLB's own website.

The Royals are forced to sign him or basically forfeit the #5 pick in the draft. There is not zero risk for the Royals here, which is why Bubba & Co. have bargaining power.

The Royals are forced to sign him or basically forfeit the #5 pick in the draft. There is not zero risk for the Royals here, which is why Bubba & Co. have bargaining power.

No my friend, they would get the same pick in the following draft:

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For example, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Draft#Compensatory_picks

And 2011 is a rebuilding year in KC. 2010 top-5 looked like this...

As well as 2012.

And 2013

And 2014

And 2015

And 2016

And 2017

And 2018

And 2019

And 2020

And 2021

And 2022

And 2023

And 2024

And 2025

And 2026

And 2027

And 2028

And 2029

And 2030

• Fire 1

I hate using wiki as a source so here is an article from MLB to further the point:

The 2009 Draft was the first in which teams were compensated for unsigned draftees from the first three rounds of the previous year's Draft.

Last year's first round had two extra selections as a result: The Nationals had the No. 10 pick (officially, it was No. 9A) because they didn't sign Aaron Crow following the 2008 Draft, and the Yankees were given the No. 29 selection for not coming to terms with Gerrit Cole. A team never wants to see a Draft pick go unsigned, but Washington getting Drew Storen and New York selecting Slade Heathcott weren't bad re-dos.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100512&content_id=9987126&vkey=draftcentral2010&fext=.jsp

No my friend, they would get the same pick in the following draft:

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For example, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Draft#Compensatory_picks

Sure, that's understood, but that doesn't mean that the Royals have zero risk. A #5 next year isn't equal compensation for wasting a #5 this year. You're setting your team back a year by not signing this guy. There would be a firestorm of anger from fans if they let Bubba go.

It's not as if the Royals have all the bargaining power and Bubba must do their bidding. Were that true he would not be in Lincoln right now.