The Bubba Starling Thread

And 2011 is a rebuilding year in KC. 2010 top-5 looked like this...

As well as 2012.

And 2013

And 2014

And 2015

And 2016

And 2017

And 2018

And 2019

And 2020

And 2021

And 2022

And 2023

And 2024

And 2025

And 2026

And 2027

And 2028

And 2029

And 2030

The Cubs called. They'd like to come by and look at your 1985 trophy. Just... you know... just look at it. Just to see what it's like.

• Fire 1

I think the "forced" thing language is important, too. Not only is Bubba "forced" to sign with the Royals, but the Royals are "forced" to sign him as well. Signing up for classes means Bubba & Boras aren't interested in letting the negotiations drag on into the Fall. It's a line in the sand, and an effort to maintain control by Bubba's team.

Bubba now must either sign or sit out. He could have chose not to go to school, sit out, then re-enter the draft next year, in theory. The Royals are not forced to sign him, they just retain his rights till the following draft. All the rules are at the link I posted, which is on MLB's own website.

The Royals are forced to sign him or basically forfeit the #5 pick in the draft. There is not zero risk for the Royals here, which is why Bubba & Co. have bargaining power.

No my friend, they would get the same pick in the following draft:

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For example, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Draft#Compensatory_picks

Sure, that's understood, but that doesn't mean that the Royals have zero risk. A #5 next year isn't equal compensation for wasting a #5 this year. You're setting your team back a year by not signing this guy. There would be a firestorm of anger from fans if they let Bubba go.

It's not as if the Royals have all the bargaining power and Bubba must do their bidding. Were that true he would not be in Lincoln right now.

Sorry, I was not advocating that. I was simply saying, by choosing to enroll, he has forced himself and the Royals into a deadline neither can back out of. Royals knew this risk prior to drafting him, as did Nebraska. I certainly agree there is pressure on all parties.

That's what I figured. And for the record, I don't view Wikipedia as a bad source. So many people do, but frankly, it's a good place to start. And in a conversation like this it's just fine.

Total tangent - a decade ago I cold-called Jimmy Wales for the company I worked for out in California, trying to see if he'd partner with us. Back then Wales was involved with Bomis, a site I messed around on that featured "webrings," a kind of agglomeration engine for people with similar interests. It was an awkward fit for a partnership and we ended up not partnering, but Wales was very cool to talk to, and at least seemed interested. Little did I know that Wikipedia, the project he was on fire about during the call, would end up being the internet's encyclopedia.

That's what I figured. And for the record, I don't view Wikipedia as a bad source. So many people do, but frankly, it's a good place to start. And in a conversation like this it's just fine.

Total tangent - a decade ago I cold-called Jimmy Wales for the company I worked for out in California, trying to see if he'd partner with us. Back then Wales was involved with Bomis, a site I messed around on that featured "webrings," a kind of agglomeration engine for people with similar interests. It was an awkward fit for a partnership and we ended up not partnering, but Wales was very cool to talk to, and at least seemed interested. Little did I know that Wikipedia, the project he was on fire about during the call, would end up being the internet's encyclopedia.

For general reference, I completely agree. You never know when someone is going to call out the "but that's wiki card". Oh and small world right?

Apparently Bubba is enrolled in summer classes. Probably doesn't mean much but its a good sign.

Link

This means he is forced to sign by 8/15/11 or go to school.

As soon as he was drafted he had an 8/15 deadline. Summer class enrollment has nothing to do with that. And if he doesn't sign by 8/15, he could sit on his front porch instead of going to school. I'm sure he won't, but "forced" isn't correct.

I said "forced" because of the rules according to the MLB. Bubba has entered school, which is why the deadline is in play. Had he just sat out and not enrolled anywhere, the Royals would have had his rights till next years draft. By entering into school, he is forced to sign by 8/15.

A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

One of us is missing something. The way I read that is that the 8/15 deadline was always there, but the deadline can be moved up if he enters college full time before then. I don't think signing up for classes constitutes entering college, attending the first day does. Otherwise, with the word "OR" in there, as soon as he signed up for classes the Royals couldn't sign him. Few if any colleges have full time classes starting before 8/15, so the "entering college" deadline rarely comes into play. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, or maybe you are.

If he doesn't sign by 8/15 but doesn't enter college, he's eligible to be drafted next year, but can't sign before then. If he enters college, he's ineligible for the draft for 3 years.

One of us is missing something. The way I read that is that the 8/15 deadline was always there, but the deadline can be moved up if he enters college full time before then. I don't think signing up for classes constitutes entering college, attending the first day does. Otherwise, with the word "OR" in there, as soon as he signed up for classes the Royals couldn't sign him. Few if any colleges have full time classes starting before 8/15, so the "entering college" deadline rarely comes into play. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, or maybe you are.

Even if he goes to the first day of class, the Royals can still take him As long as he isn't going full time (meaning 12 semester hours (I think that's full time now)). Correct me if I am wrong, which I know a few would do anyways. ;)

Apparently Bubba is enrolled in summer classes. Probably doesn't mean much but its a good sign.

Link

This means he is forced to sign by 8/15/11 or go to school.

As soon as he was drafted he had an 8/15 deadline. Summer class enrollment has nothing to do with that. And if he doesn't sign by 8/15, he could sit on his front porch instead of going to school. I'm sure he won't, but "forced" isn't correct.

I said "forced" because of the rules according to the MLB. Bubba has entered school, which is why the deadline is in play. Had he just sat out and not enrolled anywhere, the Royals would have had his rights till next years draft. By entering into school, he is forced to sign by 8/15.

A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

If he doesn't sign by 8/15 but doesn't enter college, he's eligible to be drafted next year, but can't sign before then. If he enters college, he's ineligible for the draft for 3 years.

Ok, yes I definitely was wrong. The deadline is there regardless of college or not, my bad.

The most intriguing line from this year's Fan Day announcement is this:

Fan Day will run from 2 to 3:30 p.m. inside Memorial Stadium with all Husker players and coaches that will be part of fall camp in attendance and available to the fans.

Bubba's deadline to sign with the Royals is August 15th. What does it mean if he's sitting at the QB table on August 5th? Is it a binding statement that he WILL be part of the team? Will Bo allow him to sit at the table if he hasn't committed to Nebraska fully?

Conversely, if Bubba isn't at the table signing autographs, does that mean anything itself? Does it mean he's not part of the team, or does it mean nothing, only that he hasn't made a decision yet?

When I first read this I figured August 5th would give us some clarity to the Bubba situation. But now I'm not so sure.

Fan Day will run from 2 to 3:30 p.m. inside Memorial Stadium with all Husker players and coaches that will be part of fall camp in attendance and available to the fans.

Bubba's deadline to sign with the Royals is August 15th. What does it mean if he's sitting at the QB table on August 5th? Is it a binding statement that he WILL be part of the team? Will Bo allow him to sit at the table if he hasn't committed to Nebraska fully?

Conversely, if Bubba isn't at the table signing autographs, does that mean anything itself? Does it mean he's not part of the team, or does it mean nothing, only that he hasn't made a decision yet?

When I first read this I figured August 5th would give us some clarity to the Bubba situation. But now I'm not so sure.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Who would want a Bubba Starling signed football when he goes to KC to play baseball for millions of $$$?

Not I.

Interesting wording. My first instinct was to dismiss this, but maybe Bo is giving him his own deadline, or at least making sure Bubba isn't a distraction if he's not committed.