The Bubba Starling Thread

Maybe this news means that he isn't using Nebraska to leverage his offer. If he was just doing that, he'd show up to practice in full pads and try to scare the Royals, like you said knapplc. Maybe he really is trying to decide between football and baseball, and doesn't want to risk losing either option to a freak injury. Maybe it's not a negotiating tactic, maybe he just hasn't decided yet.

bubba is seriously considering baseball, and does not want to practice for fear of getting hurt , and then no millions.

Its smart on his part to sit out of practices. He has until the 15th to make up his mind, he will still attend classes in the meantime. If I had that much money on the line, i'd be very cautous with my body.

Does anyone think that maybe Bo put the kabosh on Bubba practicing, in an attempt to do whats best for the kid? It almost sounded like that may be the case.

What crap, "shi@ or get off the pott" put the pads on or get the heck out of here!!! I don't get why people would not be outraged, I don't care about his baseball career!! He its playing games at our expense!!!

How is it at our expense, really? I think the NU coaches know what's going on, and have known. There is literally no expense taken. It was part of the risk of signing him that he might be drafted high. We could choose to ignore prospects like that, but some guys, you just make room for. Bubba is one of those guys.

Does anyone think that maybe Bo put the kabosh on Bubba practicing, in an attempt to do whats best for the kid? It almost sounded like that may be the case.

I'm not entirely sure it is what's best for Bubba either. If he hasn't a deal in place already agreed to, then this must be killing his negotiating position with the Royals, isn't it?

There is the risk of injury, I suppose, but it would strengthen his position quite a bit if he were practicing.

It's pennies really.....

Bubba's going to get out of here at the earliest opportunity.

It's not like Bubba is taking up practice reps that could be given to another player. Now that would really be messing with the team if he intends to leave.

Bo not letting him practice should be applauded. "Until you commit to staying with the team, you're not taking practice time away from another player." Sounds like classic Bo principles at work, doesn't it?

I don't get the outrage. Again, unless you are proposing we never recruit a baseball prospect. Because every time we do, there is a deadline we go up against, 8/15, that is understood at the time of recruiting.

Bubba Starling will be a rich baseball player very soon. He won't pass it up. Will he regret it? Maybe. Probably at times. 18 year olds don't know what they want in life. I changed my major twice. But I'm sure when I was 18 I would've taken $$$ to go play baseball had I received the chance.

But here's the thing. Having went to college, getting the education, learning a little more about life, it was probably the best time in my life, and I wouldn't change it or pass it up for any amount of money. Experiences define one's life, not money. Think about it: At your funeral, the only reason anyone would want to hear what your net worth was when you died are the people that want that money. Many of the wealthiest people are also the most miserable, the people that stop pursuing life in order to pursue money. Money skews priorities. I'm obviously not rich, but a good college education can keep a man humble and happy. Well-balanced. More in tune with the world rather than using riches to isolate ones' self from it.

I could go on and on, and I'm sure many have on this thread. Maybe there isn't a wrong answer for Starling. But even though I have been graduated from the University for 14 years, my friends and I still regale about winning our intramural 3-3 basketball league once. How much fun we had. How hard we competed. Why? Not because we got paid, obviously. Because it was fun. Meeting good people. Having those 4 precious years where you were away from home, but learning so much before jumping into the 'real' world.

IMHO, anyone who has a nice option that doesn't consist of playing for the Royals and takes the money to play for them, well...isn't really that competitive and is strictly money-driven, especially if you don't have a family to support, which Bubba doesn't. It's one thing to get the opportunity to play for your favorite team with the 'best intentions.' It's quite another to be set up for failure year after year with 100-110 loss seasons and knowing the second you start to demonstrate an ability to put a dent in that, you're traded to NYY or Boston.

Money is great and important, don't get me wrong. But play for a good education and be a winner? Or sit on a pile of money and be mired in losing? I admit...if I had the opportunity, at 18 I would've made one choice. At this point in my life I would have made the other one.

I am hoping this isn't what you meant Foppa, but it sounds like it. Just because you don't go to college, doesn't mean you wont experience life or enjoy it.

I went to the US Navy straight out of high school and would only change a few dumb things I did while I was in it. I know people with a degree that are miserable and wish they had a new life.

It's all about how you manage yourself and not care about what others think to make yourself happy.

The "college experience" that people talk about is really the "out of mom's house" experience that everyone goes through at that stage of life, whether you're in college, playing pro baseball, in the military or digging ditches for a living. It's a nice time of life. Those of you who are between 18-25, soak it in, folks. It goes by really, really fast.

Maybe this news means that he isn't using Nebraska to leverage his offer. If he was just doing that, he'd show up to practice in full pads and try to scare the Royals, like you said knapplc. Maybe he really is trying to decide between football and baseball, and doesn't want to risk losing either option to a freak injury. Maybe it's not a negotiating tactic, maybe he just hasn't decided yet.

bubba is seriously considering baseball, and does not want to practice for fear of getting hurt , and then no millions.

Its smart on his part to sit out of practices. He has until the 15th to make up his mind, he will still attend classes in the meantime. If I had that much money on the line, i'd be very cautous with my body.

Bo's no dummy. Why waste a roster spot, not to mention the likely media distraction, until the kid officially chooses the Huskers? Not practicing is best for him and for us. If he become a Husker, a few weeks of missed practices would hurt him. It's not like he gonna start anyway. My guess is he's a Royal and is getting his fanny ready to ride the double A bus for four years.

IMO, sounds like many on the board understand and appreciate the delima and decision Bubba and Bo have made. I think it is a tremendously WISE choice by both to have Bubba sit out until a decision is made. By the way...READ BETWEEN THE LINES....the decision IS made. If the Royals offer just a little more, Bubba is gone. If they stand firm, he may, and I say may with a very pesimistic view, stay. By this time, he has already "weighed" the colllege experience vs $$$$... If he had decided to stay at NU, regardless of money, it would have been announced and he would be in pads.

Bubba is making the choice that 99% of us would make.... and I am an educator... If you say that you would turn down 8-10 million for the so-called "college" experience, you are flat out not being honest..you are speaking out of disgust and pissiness that we aren't getting Bubba. I loved my college years....think about the fun a lot, but dont wish to go back... and I am only making a good living financially, not millions....if you haven't noticed, jobs aren't easy to come by... a degree doesn't mean a job... I would actually like to witness some on this board walk away from an 8 million dollar check and say, no thanks, I will take my chances at being a back up qb, beat the hell out of my body, get a degree, may or may not make NFL, and have the college experience, and then go try to find a decent job.

Plus, Bo is NOT wasting a roster spot.... Like to 105th guy on the practice squad is actually going to be an all-american...and no one is losing reps because Bubba is sitting. He is leaving the spot open for Bubba to show that he has integrity. Remember, if Bubba plays BB for 3-4 years and it doesn't work out, he may always want to come back to school and give football a try. Bo realizes this and wants to keep the most positive relationship with Bubba and family. Hell, look at Weeden from OSU. Who is to say that Bubba won't be our All-American 6 years from now, when he has the guaranteed $$$ in the bank and comes back to school... Bo is absolutely doing the RIGHT THING here.... All that have followed any of my posts the past 5-6 years on the board understand that I repsect everyone's opinion, because "opinions" are exactly that...but IMO, this is being handled EXACTLY THE RIGHT WAY.

• Fire 3

Once a player starts playing, don't they have 5 years to play 4? When does the clock start on that, is it when they start practicing? If so, that would be a huge reason for Bubba to not practice. If baseball doesn't work out, he'd be closing the door on football too if he practiced for a few days and that started the clock ticking. He'd have to either be committed to football now, or committed to never playing football again, to start practicing now.

I think HANC is right, Bo is handling this the best way for all.

The "college experience" that people talk about is really the "out of mom's house" experience that everyone goes through at that stage of life, whether you're in college, playing pro baseball, in the military or digging ditches for a living. It's a nice time of life. Those of you who are between 18-25, soak it in, folks. It goes by really, really fast.

I agree with you to an extent, but there's more to the college experience than just living away from the parents for the first time. Dorm life/campus life is a lot different than getting a job and living in an apartment. Not that the latter is worse than the former, but they are different.

Indeed. At 22 I'm already wondering where the last 4 years went...