The Bubba Starling Thread

Something to think about...something I'd wonder about if I was Bubba:

The baseball season is quickly winding down. You've signed with the Royals, and you're an instant millionaire. What do you do now? Baseball season is almost over, sure, you can go train and work out, but then what? More than likely all your high-school buddies are off to college, or starting their careers in the military or something else, how do you spend your day? Working out and driving your new sports car around by yourself? Seems like a lot of vacant time to be alone and do what for the next few months? WATCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

Something to think about...something I'd wonder about if I was Bubba:

The baseball season is quickly winding down. You've signed with the Royals, and you're an instant millionaire. What do you do now? Baseball season is almost over, sure, you can go train and work out, but then what? More than likely all your high-school buddies are off to college, or starting their careers in the military or something else, how do you spend your day? Working out and driving your new sports car around by yourself? Seems like a lot of vacant time to be alone and do what for the next few months? WATCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

On the one of the TVs in my brand new Escalade.

I guess I'm not totally convinced he's going to be happy with the decision he's made...at least not until he's on the bus next Spring driving around Arkansas feeling good about himself? Does money really buy happiness? I guess you have to have it to find out? To his credit, Boras will probably get him so much money that there will be a LOT of pressure on KC to get him on the field IN KC as soon as possible, whether he's truly ready or not.

I guess I'm not totally convinced he's going to be happy with the decision he's made...at least not until he's on the bus next Spring driving around Arkansas feeling good about himself? Does money really buy happiness? I guess you have to have it to find out? To his credit, Boras will probably get him so much money that there will be a LOT of pressure on KC to get him on the field IN KC as soon as possible, whether he's truly ready or not.

Most people would agree that $8 mil to $10 mil guaranteed will buy a certain amount of happiness for some time to come....

I think the entirety of the contract is guaranteed, however.

I could be wrong, but this is why the MLB has dual athlete contracts. All the money is not guaranteed because of the possibility they would leave for another sport. That is why it is weighted so heavily toward the end and why he might want more money upfront. Just a guess.

And just exactly why do we care if he plays or not. He is unproven at this level. Unproven on any level, truly playing in Kansas, not like a Texas kid for sure.

If he comes so be it, if he plays baseball, ie watching paint dry who cares. He would most likely do nothing for this team or program for at least a year or two, and he may be back in that time frame anyway.

I will be happy if he comes, but really could care less and I am tired of a 17 year old running the historic program around like a bunch of puppies.

This is the second time I have wasted time on thread. Thank god it is over with tonight.

• Fire 1

Running a historic program around like a bunch of puppies? Bubba is doing no such thing. It's the fans that are hung up over this, giving Bubba attention like we give many other recruits and players.

Bubba has a private choice to make, and he is obviously making it as privately as possible.

Can you name another athlete that has been given this opportunity by the University of Nebraska? If it is common, I am not aware of it. It makes our coach and program look desperate to me. Bo normally sees more clearly than this, he would see that he is being used by a family trying to get more money out of the Royals. I am glad he is not playing, but I hope it is by choice of Bo and not a concern for his injury potential.

Do you think Saban, Mack Brown, Kiffen or Jo Pa would allow this. I seriously doubt it.

And just exactly why do we care if he plays or not. He is unproven at this level. Unproven on any level, truly playing in Kansas, not like a Texas kid for sure.

If he comes so be it, if he plays baseball, ie watching paint dry who cares. He would most likely do nothing for this team or program for at least a year or two, and he may be back in that time frame anyway.

I will be happy if he comes, but really could care less and I am tired of a 17 year old running the historic program around like a bunch of puppies.

This is the second time I have wasted time on thread. Thank god it is over with tonight.

This is ridiculous.

All Nebraska recruits are unproven. He happens to be a very good recruit. Unproven, yes, but we'd really like to have him. How the hell is making a $10 million dollar decision about what you want to do with your life "running around a historic program like puppies" Its a huge deal for the young kid. And zoogs is right, he is making this decision very private.

We're here because we are fans and are interested in a very talented young guy having the possibility of playing for our team. We're fans and this is what we do. If you don't want to waste time on it, fine, but don't act like this isn't a big deal. Its not like we're sitting around here waiting for a commit from a 3-star offensive tackle, this is big-time stuff. Sure he has like a 3% chance of actually playing for us, and most people recognize this, but its a lot more fun to have hope.