Dan Beebe Spews Derp on Dr. Tom

Although I absolutely think Beebe is dirt bag and it's really bad form on his part to come out and backhand Nebraska and especially T.O like this, I have wondered about our stance on revenue sharing since we joined the BIG 10.

"What’s interesting though, and maybe even a little bit curious to me is that Texas and Nebraska were aligned almost exactly on every issue, including the revenue distribution piece and putting all the rights into the conference. So it’s kind of interesting when I read about comments about Nebraska now being pleased about being in a conference where they put all their rights in and divide money equally," Beebe said.

"That’s the exact opposite position that they took for years in this conference."

This really strikes me as odd. We've always favored the unequal revenue sharing and now all of the sudden we like equal revenue sharing. Doesn't make sense to me.

Remember what Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman said last June in announcing the school's move to the Big Ten? Perlman was referring to the ultimatum given to Nebraska to pledge its allegiance to the Big 12.

"I said, ‘There's only one way that you can fully commit, long term, to a conference, and that is you assign media rights to your athletic contests to the conference for the long term,'" Perlman said. "And I asked, 'Were the members willing to do that?' The University of Texas made it clear they were not willing to do that."

Link

There's a double standard in the big 12.

Beebe is correct in that Nebraska was in favor of the unequal revenue sharing model of the Big XII for many years. It definitely benefited Nebraska greatly to pull in more money than Missouri or Colorado. But that stance was taken in the 90s when the disparity was a few millions of dollars. When it became annually tens of millions of dollars, the sheer weight of that monetary disparity begins to create problems, and that's when Nebraska's stance changed. You cannot have a team earning $130 million a year and another team earning $50 million a year and maintain a competitive balance. It's impossible for the "have nots" to keep up.

And lest anyone think Nebraska was a have-not, we weren't. We were steadily in the upper fourth of the conference. And it cannot be stressed enough that our revenue over the past ten years has suffered dramatically from the direction the program took under Callahan. With a recovery in full progress, with or without a conference move, we were going to be improving our income. This isn't an example of a program on the decline crying foul. It's a program on the rise seeing the problems of a failing policy, and attempting to right those wrongs.

To be clear, Nebraska never wanted an equal sharing of revenue amongst Big XII members. They simply did not want the disparity to be so great. What is baffling is that Iowa State, Missouri and the Kansas schools consistently voted in lockstep with the Texas Four, knowing full-well that it was cutting their own throats to do so. Not a wise thing to do.

Five years from now, presuming the Big XII still exists, they'll realize the failure of allying themselves with Texas. But the sad thing is, all they had to do was ask Arkansas and they would have known their future.

Sucks to be them.

• Fire 3

Although I absolutely think Beebe is dirt bag and it's really bad form on his part to come out and backhand Nebraska and especially T.O like this, I have wondered about our stance on revenue sharing since we joined the BIG 10.

"What’s interesting though, and maybe even a little bit curious to me is that Texas and Nebraska were aligned almost exactly on every issue, including the revenue distribution piece and putting all the rights into the conference. So it’s kind of interesting when I read about comments about Nebraska now being pleased about being in a conference where they put all their rights in and divide money equally," Beebe said.

"That’s the exact opposite position that they took for years in this conference."

This really strikes me as odd. We've always favored the unequal revenue sharing and now all of the sudden we like equal revenue sharing. Doesn't make sense to me.

Danny Boy keeps trying to shift the focus of us leaving the conference to being all about money. I'm not contending that it didn't weigh some consideration and it is a plus but the main reason we bolted to the B10 was stability. We were find with the unequal revenue system because we received a large share but we also knew it caused instability to a point. It was a reason for a MU or A&M to consider other offers. We also knew going into the meetings that Texas was looking at 3 other options besides the B12 (4 if you count moving independent). MU was trying to find a new partner like an ugly chick begging to get a date to the prom and CU had been flirting with leaving for several years to go to the Pac-10. HP wanted to tie up the question marks of what happens if we start losing schools. Then the Pac-10 plan offer came out and we knew we had to do something or be sitting here with KU, KST, Iowa and not really have a home to go too. Calls were made, very blunt questions were asked and we were given zero assurances that there would even be a B12 past a year or two. So we felt we had to protect ourselves. That is 90% of why we left. Yes there were other grievances, but they weren't conference changing type of deals. The main thing was no other school would commit to the conference longer than 5 years and Danny Boy didn't have the power to have them do such.

If he was actually 1/2 smart he would have jumped on board with our desire to stabilize the conference and sign media rights to the conference. That would have given him leverage to increase the TV deal and also give him more control over conference decisions or at least the power to make very strong recommendations and not have idol threats and promises that he can't back up. Dan had every chance to keep the B12 like it was and failed. His failure is exactly why he is lashing out at NU.

This one is actually pretty simple to understand. Whenever the talk of "equal revenue sharing" came up in the B12 it ONLY was in regards to TV money, not overall media rights (film rights,radio rights, network rights etc.) Nebraska's stance was that it if ALL Media rights weren't on the table than it was simply better for Nebraska to just keep the status quo until the point that they were put on the table. Nebraska wasn't stupid, it was pretty easy to see that the second the TV contract money was split equally, that Texas would just find an end around. Just like they ended up doing by doing their own contract on the side with ESPN that isn't included in that split revenue pot. Texas's version of "equal revenue" was nothing more than another way for them to cut the overall pie even thinner for everyone else and for them to get the biggest slice. That's what Texas has always done and always will do.

With regards to the Big Ten ALL Media rights are held by the conference and shared equally. It's a true equal revenue system and Thus Nebraska had no problem buying in.

"From the day that I sat down with him when he became the athletic director, he expressed strong concern about a lot of the things that happened when the Big 12 was formed, even though it was 13 or 14 or 15 years previous," Beebe said.

I mean, wth is the problem? It's been 13 to 15 years already Tom. Ancient history! Not even applicable anymore! Oh wait...

This is laughable, yet predictable. There is clearly a campaign to pin any and all ugliness sprouting from the chaos of last summer onto Nebraska, and even more to the point, squarely on Tom Osborne. It would be one thing if the dirty work required to present this exaggerated falsehood, this intentionally distorted version of history to the masses were being undertaken by peons and expendable pawns like Chip Brown or other media mouthpieces from Dallas and Austin and Houston, ect. But here we have conference "leader" Dan Beebe himself slinging aspersions on Tom Osborne. (During a radio interview IN AUSTIN, no less. :lol:)

He must be an expendable pawn. But if he isn't really the person pulling the strings in that conference, I wonder who is?

I bet Tom Osborne has some pretty good insight on the subject. But I doubt he'll ever get on the radio to elaborate.

You all are concentrating on the wrong part. This is the piece that I don't understand...

After doing that interview, I asked him to expound on the comments, which were more frank than anything I'd heard him say about Nebraska since I took over this blog back in 1981.

This David Ubben was WAY ahead of his time back in 1981. Blogging in the early 80's? Did you have "followers" too? I bet Ubben was #winning all over the place. I want to know what the world will be like in 2041 Ubben! What stocks should I buy? Will we have flying cars by then? Tell me everything!

• Fire 2

You all are concentrating on the wrong part. This is the piece that I don't understand...

After doing that interview, I asked him to expound on the comments, which were more frank than anything I'd heard him say about Nebraska since I took over this blog back in 1981.

This David Ubben was WAY ahead of his time back in 1981. Blogging in the early 80's? Did you have "followers" too? I bet Ubben was #winning all over the place. I want to know what the world will be like in 2041 Ubben! What stocks should I buy? Will we have flying cars by then? Tell me everything!

Nah, we've come to expect that from David Ubben--he is a Mizzou grad, after all.

Did anyone ever think that maybe, just maybe, there might be the slightest chance that he isn't trying to slap us in the face, create gossip or talk smack, but is just offering his own honest opinion on why we left, without projecting feelings of right or wrong onto it?

All of the insinuating seems to be coming from the people that read the piece rather than from Beebe himself.

Did anyone ever think that maybe, just maybe, there might be the slightest chance that he isn't trying to slap us in the face, create gossip or talk smack, but is just offering his own honest opinion on why we left, without projecting feelings of right or wrong onto it?

All of the insinuating seems to be coming from the people that read the piece rather than from Beebe himself.

I'm w/ ya. I think there is a lot more truth to the Osborne rumors than people are willing to believe. It's just to prevelant throughout the media (outside of Nebraska). It's pretty much all you hear. There was an article a month or two ago very similar to this quoting unnamed officials/ADs of other schools - talking about how Osborne wasn't viewed as positively as he may be in Nebraska.

I'm w/ ya. I think there is a lot more truth to the Osborne rumors than people are willing to believe. It's just to prevelant throughout the media (outside of Nebraska). It's pretty much all you hear. There was an article a month or two ago very similar to this quoting unnamed officials/ADs of other schools - talking about how Osborne wasn't viewed as positively as he may be in Nebraska.

Quoting unnamed officials/AD, hmmm, well, thats a very tight reputable source, lol.

Seriously, most of this talk about Dr. Tom is the national media trying to make the guy look like an ass. Its what they do, they want to make the good guys look not so good, and break them down.

Beebe's words would hold more water if Dr. Tom was the one actually calling the shots, but he wasn't. It was a decision made by the board of regents, which would have been made even if Dr. Tom was not in favor of it.

• Fire 1