SIGNED TE/DE Sam Cotton

I'm not an expert on ncaa rules but if your father is a coach and you play for the team I'm thinking you have to be on scholarship ...can't walk-on. I'm searching ncaa rules for this but have yet to find any. Either way Sam will be fine.

To answer your question, the answer is no. There have been many cases across the nation of kids playing for their dads. Some have gone on to earn their scholly, but many walk on.

correct, but i heard someone claim that if a coach's kid has scholarship offers to other FBS schools, he automatically counts against the 85 as soon as he plays. no idea if that's true or not. in any case, i'm assuming he's good enough to be on schollie (his brothers obviously are) and there's no point in dicking him around if he is.

it may be petty of me, but i will take extra joy in watching jake knock some heads on the line this year given the consternation over his scholarship.

I'm not an expert on ncaa rules but if your father is a coach and you play for the team I'm thinking you have to be on scholarship ...can't walk-on. I'm searching ncaa rules for this but have yet to find any. Either way Sam will be fine.

To answer your question, the answer is no. There have been many cases across the nation of kids playing for their dads. Some have gone on to earn their scholly, but many walk on.

correct, but i heard someone claim that if a coach's kid has scholarship offers to other FBS schools, he automatically counts against the 85 as soon as he plays. no idea if that's true or not. in any case, i'm assuming he's good enough to be on schollie (his brothers obviously are) and there's no point in dicking him around if he is.

it may be petty of me, but i will take extra joy in watching jake knock some heads on the line this year given the consternation over his scholarship.

i hope this is the last cotton kid as im not sure i can go through this again............

Man this is such an easy set up for a joke toward the kid that would be in bad taste. NOTE: I am laughing at my joke in my head and won't go there.

Seriously I would love nothing more than seeing the same thing on the field this fall, but until then I hold judgement. I have heard many a time that someone looks real good in the spring and will play and nothing happens. Hell Ted Gilmore used to tell me there were about 12 WR's he could play and then I see the same four every Saturday.

Man this is such an easy set up for a joke toward the kid that would be in bad taste. NOTE: I am laughing at my joke in my head and won't go there.

Seriously I would love nothing more than seeing the same thing on the field this fall, but until then I hold judgement. I have heard many a time that someone looks real good in the spring and will play and nothing happens. Hell Ted Gilmore used to tell me there were about 12 WR's he could play and then I see the same four every Saturday.

totally understandable, but i'm talking about what i saw with my eyes at the spring game, not based upon quotes. what i saw was a big, athletic lineman that is in great shape (ie, no belly hanging out) and plays hard. he at least looks a lot like our linemen used to (athletic and nasty) and will absolutely be on the field as a freshman (barring injury, of course). i actually think he'll end up starting. if not the first game, by the conference season.

totally understandable, but i'm talking about what i saw with my eyes at the spring game, not based upon quotes. what i saw was a big, athletic lineman that is in great shape (ie, no belly hanging out) and plays hard. he at least looks a lot like our linemen used to (athletic and nasty) and will absolutely be on the field as a freshman (barring injury, of course). i actually think he'll end up starting. if not the first game, by the conference season.

I know what your saying, and again I would love to see it. There are just some of us here that want to see it happen first, because you know we are all expert talent evaluators and everything.

I know what your saying, and again I would love to see it. There are just some of us here that want to see it happen first, because you know we are all expert talent evaluators and everything.

you'll get your chance to see him this fall. there was a sneak preview available in april and it doesn't take an nfl scout to evaluate line play, you just have to pay attention. ;)

(and to be clear, i'm not proclaiming him the next incognito yet, just that he was clearly one of our better linemen...as a freshman.)

I'm all for a legacy if the kid is good enough to earn a scholorship on his own accord, but I have a very hard time believing that any of the Cotton boys would have been offered a scholorship if their dad wasn't a coach especially in a class with so few spots available. Having said that, I respect the fact that they want to be Huskers and I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm all for a legacy if the kid is good enough to earn a scholorship on his own accord, but I have a very hard time believing that any of the Cotton boys would have been offered a scholorship if their dad wasn't a coach especially in a class with so few spots available. Having said that, I respect the fact that they want to be Huskers and I hope they prove me wrong.

There is no way of knowing about offers but Ben was a respectably-rated recruit with offers from several BCS programs. Jake was a total sleeper but he had a freakish growth-spurt after his junior-season that greatly changed the way he projected for the next level. Plus Jake knew where he wanted so he didn't camp-around to raise his awareness. Thus he was a rather peculiar case. I don't know if either gets an offer. I do know each offer has worked-out. Ben is a returning starter. Jake will be in the two-deep as a rs-frosh and likely starts down the road. Those in the know over on RSS say Sam has as much or more upside than his brothers. Like his brothers he'll keep growing and he'll bust his ass. Chances are he'll be a player for us. I'd say he should've been a greyshirt-offer though with this class being so small.

• Fire 1