Big 12 Dilemma

And related to the above from ShaggyBevo

First of all, i really like the fact that two games are being exclusively shown on LHN ... which means that two other schools fanbases (if they want to watch the game) have to kiss our butts the entire time with UT commercials and stuff. ESPN, please please consider having the Aggy game on LHN!

They won't be satisfied until the Red River Rivalry is on LHN

what about the fans in austin that cant get the whorn network on timewarner cable right now. They are pissed and hating on the university.

Nebraska had 1 win in ten tries against Texas in the Big 12. Even is Nebraska wins only 2 games out of their first ten against every Big Ten school, Texas still looks good. Not much of a dilemma.......

Texas has to play K-State every year now so I'd say they're in big trouble :ahhhhhhhh

What would be sweeter is that K-State ran off 10 or so victories in a row. Then the Texas will have to contend with K-State talking smack as much as Longhorns do us.

Nebraska had 1 win in ten tries against Texas in the Big 12. Even is Nebraska wins only 2 games out of their first ten against every Big Ten school, Texas still looks good. Not much of a dilemma.......

This is fine until the Sooner Network rears its ugly head, and the Beefo Network with Beebe in the saddle, has to deal with that...

Who is this "Big 12" that you speak of??

Personally, I believe that the Big 12 will fragment, now that it has been made public knowledge that it is all about Texas, and everyone else can be damned. Frankly I was surprised that OU and OSU hung around when Nebraska and Colorado announced they were leaving. I am sure that there are other conferences that would love to have a OU, OSU, or even a Missouri to add to their conference. If Missouri had not been so arrogant and try to put a gun to the Big 12's head in such a public way, they may have come to the Big 10 with us, but after the Big 10 seen that display, they wanted no part of it, and didn't even seriously consider taking Missouri, which would have been a pretty good fit when it came to sports - though I am not convinced it would have been a good fit academically. I am also sure that Texas will always be looking for a better home, where they can make more money...and wouldn't be surprised if they up and decided one day that they were leaving, and the other Texas schools were forced by politicians to go along for the ride.

Texas is what Notre Dame was when they made a deal for their own TV contract a few years back. They are showing their arrogance, and it will come back to bite them in the end. Notre Dame is not viewed in the same perspective as it once was, and if it wasn't for the loyalty of the Catholics, I would even venture to say that it would be viewed a 2nd tier opponent even more than they are now. Eventually Texas' greed will catch up to them.

...Take these possible match up for example:

Insight

B10 #4 (Ohio State, Penn State) vs B12 #4 (Missouri, Texas)...

I'm not sure tOSU will be eligible to go bowling this year.

I totally concur, and it will hurt them in recruiting, but they will be back...they have too much money to be down for long...kind of like USC. :worship

Insight

I totally concur, and it will hurt them in recruiting, but they will be back...they have too much money to be down for long...kind of like USC. :worship

True and if OSU gets a bowl ban I would rather it be this year then next but from what I am reading is that due to the timing of the infractions meetings they would not levy a bowl ban in this upcoming season.

But my point was the Big 12 will have a depth issue come bowl season which hurt the Big 10 in the past. This was especially true when 2 big 10 teams got BCS bids as lower quality Big 10 teams had to "play up" in their bowl games (usually against an SEC or B12 teams). Last year a bad Mich team had to face the #16 team in Miss St. and we saw what happened. Now the Big 10 got stronger and deeper with Nebraska which will help with Bowl seedings and hopefully the B10's bowl record.

The B1G 10 is not done adding yet, there will be more taken from the Big XII.

This, though a move to 14 will have to contain at least one program from a major metropolitan area for the Big Ten Network to continue to thrive, so it's likely to be a tossup between Kansas and Missouri. Kansas is supposedly still eying the Big East as their exit/collapse strategy, so I don't know if they would be receptive to a B1G invite.

Maryland (along with Ga. Tech) was thrown out there as a rumor by a (Florida?) sports reporter, but nothing ever came of it since that was floated. However, Maryland is contiguous to the Big 10 footprint and would bring the Baltimore/Washington DC boob tubes (Top 25 media market) with it, which would be a net new add to the footprint, which makes me think that there is some legitimacy to the idea, though maybe not the rumor.

• Fire 1

Insight

True and if OSU gets a bowl ban I would rather it be this year then next but from what I am reading is that due to the timing of the infractions meetings they would not levy a bowl ban in this upcoming season.

But my point was the Big 12 will have a depth issue come bowl season which hurt the Big 10 in the past. This was especially true when 2 big 10 teams got BCS bids as lower quality Big 10 teams had to "play up" in their bowl games (usually against an SEC or B12 teams). Last year a bad Mich team had to face the #16 team in Miss St. and we saw what happened. Now the Big 10 got stronger and deeper with Nebraska which will help with Bowl seedings and hopefully the B10's bowl record.

You can't really draw a ton of parallels between the big 10 at 11 teams and the big 12 at 10. For example: playing up won't be as big an issue for the big 12 because their bowl tie-ins suck something fierce outside of BCS games. The lack of championship game which the big 12 needed for award recognition, last week poll votes and a shorter layoff will be the main issues they have with the new conference... Do you think Suh would have been 4th in the Heisman race without the big12 ccg? not a chance, although he did probably kill Colt McCoy's chance of winning it, but McCoy also had the chance to seal it with that game. Beyond that they won't miss much. Oklahoma will probably have a slightly easier road to losing the MNC because they are always ranked high preseason.