B1G, Big Ten Network and Dish Network

I pay for BTN, and I'll be pretty damn upset with the Big Ten if their pissing match in Lincoln spills over into KC and I can't watch Husker games - because as of now that's what it is looking like. Back to Minsky's I guess...could be worse, love that pizza.

Why blame the Big Ten for TimeWarner's greed? Or phrased differently, why blame the Big Ten for TimeWarner treating Nebraska different than they treat any other Big Ten market? There isn't a single Big Ten market where the BTN is not on a basic tier - except, for the moment, Nebraska. Who's to blame for that? Not the Big Ten.

EDIT - Chris, do you get cable through TimeWarner?

You are assuming that BTN is asking for the same deal as they did in the other areas, that deal was signed 3 years ago. I would imagine the BTN network is now asking for more per sub than before, estimates i've seen said the original deals were $.90 per sub before, they are now asking for closer to $1.15 per sub. It wouldn't shock me if the Big Ten Network was trying to hold Time Warner hostage for higher fees across the entire base of subscribers rather than just allow them to add Nebraska. This would be a million dollar plus per month hit on Time Warner's bottom line, possibly even far more depending on what the BTN is really asking for.

This increase would be consistent with most other contracts, wouldn't it? The Pac-12 signed a bigger, better deal, so did the Big XII, so did the SEC, etc. This isn't "holding TimeWarner hostage," it's the current state of the market. TimeWarner expecting to get the same deal they got three years ago is not supported by current market standards.

I apologize if this has already been answered, but....

Even if you have the Big Ten Network [like most of us on here], if Time Warner Cable and the Big Ten Network don't reach an agreement by the start of the season to offer the Big Ten Network on their lowest channel package [like everyone else in the Big Ten], then that means the people that DO get Big Ten Network will also be S.O.L. to see Husker games on TV for the first few games, not including Washington [ABC] or Wyoming [Verses]?

It won't matter to me [student tickets] but I will feel bad for everyone else and I will pull my Time Warner cable and internet just for the sake of sticking it to them by not getting something done before the start of the season.

Even if you have the Big Ten Network [like most of us on here], if Time Warner Cable and the Big Ten Network don't reach an agreement by the start of the season to offer the Big Ten Network on their lowest channel package [like everyone else in the Big Ten], then that means the people that DO get Big Ten Network will also be S.O.L. to see Husker games on TV for the first few games, not including Washington [ABC] or Wyoming [Verses]?

It won't matter to me [student tickets] but I will feel bad for everyone else and I will pull my Time Warner cable and internet just for the sake of sticking it to them by not getting something done before the start of the season.

This is true and seems to be a point lost in all the suggestions for DirecTV or Dish Network. It doesn't matter if you already have the BTN, you won't see the games until the Big Ten releases broadcast rights for Nebraska games to the Big Ten Network. They won't do that until the cable companies in question agree to put the channel on a basic tier. It sounds like everyone has (tentatively) agreed except Time Warner.

I still think the Big Ten is in the right since every other state in the conference has the BTN on a basic tier. Time Warner is hoping Nebraska fans ignore that fact and focus their anger on the Big Ten rather than the cable industry when the season rolls around and the games that were supposed to be on BTN are not.

I just went to our local Dish provider - had to get a new remote as one of our's is missing. I asked about the BIG 10 and was told that come August 11, 2011 we need to call to add it to our package. She said we have to add some sports package for a one time fee. She wouldn't tell me the fee but just smiled and said that "once you hear the fee, you are going to wonder why they even charged anything".

She also said she would be extremely surprised if any of our home games are on the Big 10 Network this year. Something about the Univeristy wanting those games on PPV until all of the Nebraska providers are offering the Big Ten network to their customers.

Just passing this along but I plan to call on August 11, 2011. If what she says is true, at least some of the away games may be on this year.

I have the BTN on dish. Had to upgrade to 120+ channels plus get their sports package. In all, it's costing me an additional $12 per month. Just curious, what level of service from DirectTV do you need and how much does that level of service cost per month?

I carry the lowest package during the summer because we don't watch much TV during that time....I have BTN. If you live in the Omaha Area, call Clint Hartung with Technical Magic. He is my neighbor. DirecTV is awesome and is right now offering free NFL Sunday Ticket for the first year!! Just make sure to refer me...pm me for info anybody!!

This is true and seems to be a point lost in all the suggestions for DirecTV or Dish Network. It doesn't matter if you already have the BTN, you won't see the games until the Big Ten releases broadcast rights for Nebraska games to the Big Ten Network. They won't do that until the cable companies in question agree to put the channel on a basic tier. It sounds like everyone has (tentatively) agreed except Time Warner.

I still think the Big Ten is in the right since every other state in the conference has the BTN on a basic tier. Time Warner is hoping Nebraska fans ignore that fact and focus their anger on the Big Ten rather than the cable industry when the season rolls around and the games that were supposed to be on BTN are not.

I disagree. I think BTN is in the wrong. They signed a contract with Time Warner in Lincoln to carry the network in whichever tier they agreed to. It's a bunch of crap that everyone is going to have to suffer because BTN is trying to get it on a lower tier. When the contract comes up for re-negotiation then they can demand the channel be put on a lower tier comparable to other Big Ten states.

So if I'm reading this right, BTN will not be broadcasting non-conference games at all unless TWC agrees to put BTN on their basic tier? Guess I shouldn't be surprised that TWC found another way to screw me over a year after cancelling their TV.

And I still don't get why Dish is making us jump through all these hoops rather than just giving us BTN. Well, I get why the bean counters are doing it but the marketing department is failing big time if they think we somehow won't notice or care.

Okay, so I think I've got this figured out. I won't be bothering to switch to Direct because, as I understand it, it doesn't matter which satelite system or cable system you have, regarding Husker football anyway. Direct HAS the BTN now but does NOT HAVE the right to broadcast Husker Games yet. Dish does NOT have BTN but will around Augusut 11, 2011. I'll just add their one time fee sports package around then. But even then, no one, not Direct, not Dish, not Time Waner, not Cox, will have rights to broadcast Husker games. Husker games will be broadcast only after BTN assigned broadcast rights and it won't do that until Time Warner agrees to put BTN on a no pay tier. Sometimes I realy hate what big business has done to college football......

So, Is there a chance that Cox will carry the BTN? We live in a condo and they forbide dishes. I see there is an on-line feed on the BigTen website, so that may be an option as well.

They can't forbid you having DirecTV or Dish Network. Read OTARD rules on the FCC website. Print it out and show them to your condo manager. They have to allow you to get satellite.

• Fire 1

Okay, so I think I've got this figured out. I won't be bothering to switch to Direct because, as I understand it, it doesn't matter which satelite system or cable system you have, regarding Husker football anyway. Direct HAS the BTN now but does NOT HAVE the right to broadcast Husker Games yet. Dish does NOT have BTN but will around Augusut 11, 2011. I'll just add their one time fee sports package around then. But even then, no one, not Direct, not Dish, not Time Waner, not Cox, will have rights to broadcast Husker games. Husker games will be broadcast only after BTN assigned broadcast rights and it won't do that until Time Warner agrees to put BTN on a no pay tier. Sometimes I realy hate what big business has done to college football......

You are very wrong, BTN has the rights to broadcast Husker games and will probably have 2 or 3 this year. Any provider that has the BTN will show any Husker games that air on the BTN, that would be like saying when CBS adds a new show to an existing channel that the providers have to pay for that show, when the contract is up the BTN can ask for more money, but if they're under contract, the games will be shown.

You are very wrong, BTN has the rights to broadcast Husker games and will probably have 2 or 3 this year. Any provider that has the BTN will show any Husker games that air on the BTN, that would be like saying when CBS adds a new show to an existing channel that the providers have to pay for that show, when the contract is up the BTN can ask for more money, but if they're under contract, the games will be shown.

No, the Big Ten has not released the broadcast rights for Nebraska football games yet to the Big Ten Network due to the dispute over cable and satellite tiers in Nebraska. The Big Ten and BTN are separate entities and the conference has to release the rights before the scheduled games can go ahead. This was also confirmed earlier in the thread by a poster who contacted Dish Network and was told they are awaiting the release of broadcast rights before going ahead with any change in their BTN channel arrangement.

What you stated was the plan before the dispute with cable companies - primarily Time Warner - arose. If that dispute is not resolved before the start of the scheduled Nebraska home games on the BTN, then those games will not be shown and will probably get relegated to pay-per-view. It is my understanding the University has made tentative arrangements for that just in case the fight drags out.