Big Red Breakfast

I heard on 1620 (USC) that they might not be having the Big Red Breakfasts anymore. I have never been to one and I would never go, normally I am all for all the changes that Bo and the staff/TO make but doesnt this one seem like it might be a bad move?

I never cry about the changes because I never care and I don't care about this one but it just seems like lots of people go to them.

I heard on 1620 (USC) that they might not be having the Big Red Breakfasts anymore. I have never been to one and I would never go, normally I am all for all the changes that Bo and the staff/TO make but doesnt this one seem like it might be a bad move?

I never cry about the changes because I never care and I don't care about this one but it just seems like lots of people go to them.

I don't like this, if true. It troubles me when things get changed, especially for no discernible reason. This is a long-standing tradition that is one of the few remaining ways fans have to access the team. Fan Day is another, as is Football 101, which predates Pelini by at least a decade, but which was canceled this year (probably with good reason, but it doesn't look like it's coming back).

Husker fans have a unique, intimate connection with their team that most teams can only dream of. It is not a good thing that these traditions should go away. In fact, I would posit that it is exactly this kind of change that can turn the tide in a coach's tenure.

If this happens, I can't wait for the good, reasonable explanation. <_<

I don't like this, if true. It troubles me when things get changed, especially for no discernible reason. This is a long-standing tradition that is one of the few remaining ways fans have to access the team. Fan Day is another, as is Football 101, which predates Pelini by at least a decade, but which was canceled this year (probably with good reason, but it doesn't look like it's coming back).

Husker fans have a unique, intimate connection with their team that most teams can only dream of. It is not a good thing that these traditions should go away. In fact, I would posit that it is exactly this kind of change that can turn the tide in a coach's tenure.

If this happens, I can't wait for the good, reasonable explanation. <_<

:yeah

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like my concern was misplaced. The Bo Pelini Foundation has taken over the Big Red Breakfasts, and they will go on as usual, with a corporate sponsor, even:

Pelini charity to host football breakfasts

Starting this fall, Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini’s charity will be running a popular Husker football breakfast in Omaha.

Dean Kratz, president of Omaha Cornhusker Football Breakfasts, Inc., announced last week in a letter to past attendees that his group will transfer its leadership role in the 2011 slate of Big Red Breakfasts to the Bo Pelini Foundation.

Held during the football season, the event features NU coaches previewing the upcoming opponent and taking questions from the crowd.

“We appreciate the great work that Dean Kratz has done in bringing our coaches and Omaha fans together for such a long time,” Pelini said. “The foundation is proud to have the opportunity to carry on this unique, longstanding tradition.”

The 14-breakfast schedule will remain at 7 a.m. Fridays in Omaha, said Jeff Jamrog, NU’s assistant athletic director for football. He did not confirm a location. In previous years, it convened at the hotel and convention center at 3321 S. 72nd St. in Omaha, known for years as the Holiday Inn Convention Centre. Last June, that site became the Ramada Plaza Omaha Hotel and Conference Center.

Click the headline for background on this. They explain that this move has been a while in coming.

And there we have it. The boosters can still have powdered eggs and bacon with the coaches. Ironically one of the guys who had the biggest issues with Bo after the ATM game is now giving up his "baby" to the guy. Makes me wonder a bit.

I heard that Dr. Tom had been making a push to streamline some of this stuff, to make it easier on everyone. It's funny, because there were a decent amount of people blaming Bo. Of course, those same people are blaming Bo for the fan day thing too, but that was a Dr. Tom decision as well. The fact that the players loved the switch is also important.

Where did you hear that the players are loving the switch?

Scout.com interview. It was on the paid board, but I can summarize. Due to the fact that before, they'd have to go to practice after the old fan day, it was a drain on the players. Now, it's on a separate day with no practice immediately afterwards. Easier on the players, and coaches, and the fans that actually show up.

And there we have it. The boosters can still have powdered eggs and bacon with the coaches. Ironically one of the guys who had the biggest issues with Bo after the ATM game is now giving up his "baby" to the guy. Makes me wonder a bit.

Yep, can't wait to see how this spun as a terrible move caused by the out of control Bo on another board.

This will get blamed on Bo due to his open disdain for the media. He's been getting better lately at handling interviews. But it's just not Bo's cup of tea. Then again look at his boss. When it comes to interviews Bo and T.O. are more like Bill Belichick than, say, Nick Saban.

What you said in your PM regarding this individual now makes sense da skers. Appreciate it man.

This will get blamed on Bo due to his open disdain for the media. He's been getting better lately at handling interviews. But it's just not Bo's cup of tea. Then again look at his boss. When it comes to interviews Bo and T.O. are more like Bill Belichick than, say, Nick Saban.

Bo gets a bad rap from some fans and the local media who don't understand one important concept: time.

The local media tends to deal with Bo right after games/practices, when he's still hyped up. The national media often gets him before he gets hyped up. You'll often hear people ask why Bo is a certain way on an interview with ESPN, versus an interview with the local paper. That's why. If Jim Rome only got to interview Bo Pelini right after practice, he'd get a different side of him, too.