Am I missing something? (Washington Game)

I was listening to the local ESPN station with Brock Huard (ex-Husky QB) and Mike Salk while they were doing a Husky preview show while I was walking around Lake Washington. I was taking a break from doing some design work and like to clear my head with ESPN sports radio over something like Pandora.

They were predicting 8-9 win Husky team and were certain that the Huskies will go into Lincoln and come back with a win. They were using words like "should" and "will". I know the Husky team is growing up, but they also lost their best player in Locker. Their strength of running the ball matches up with the strong Huskers front and their weakness of their defense does nothing but help the Husker offense.

Living out here I don't get much Husker news except for what I can see on the forum, ESPN, and Omaha.com, but I just don't see how the Husky media can be that confident going against my Huskers.

Am I missing something?

Are you sure they weren't also using the word "if" immediately following their "shoulds" and "wills"? If so, that makes a big difference...

If we simply stated that we could get beaten in every game, what would we talk about? There are certain givens in these conversations, and one of them is that we can lose any game we play. It doesn't have to be brought up like everyone's missing some crucial thing.

Every single thread about every single game could be, "We might win but we could lose, because on any given Saturday...."

What would the point of talking football be if every thread was like that?

I don't disagree with this at all, but in understanding these 'givens' in conversation, we also need to remember to keep an eye out for the same thing in opposing teams' fans and commentators discussion. A lot of times we all have a double standard where we forget that they're talking the same way that we are and we shouldn't be so shocked when other teams talk about beating us or whatever.

I don't think you understand the point of this forum.

I was listening to the local ESPN station with Brock Huard (ex-Husky QB) and Mike Salk while they were doing a Husky preview show while I was walking around Lake Washington. I was taking a break from doing some design work and like to clear my head with ESPN sports radio over something like Pandora.

They were predicting 8-9 win Husky team and were certain that the Huskies will go into Lincoln and come back with a win. They were using words like "should" and "will". I know the Husky team is growing up, but they also lost their best player in Locker. Their strength of running the ball matches up with the strong Huskers front and their weakness of their defense does nothing but help the Husker offense.

Living out here I don't get much Husker news except for what I can see on the forum, ESPN, and Omaha.com, but I just don't see how the Husky media can be that confident going against my Huskers.

Am I missing something?

That is a pretty bold prediction by Huard. How well did he do when he was in Lincoln? :)

2011 is the year when the Nebraska offense rebounds and truly begins to construct its new, more physical identity. While the offense will evolve and become far more polished over the coming years (hopefully once again in annual contention for the scoring title), I believe that this year's offense will be good enough hang 28 on any opponent on their schedule. With the Blackshirts to rely upon, that's going to be good enough--and it's going to be plenty good enough to bury an inferior team that embarrassed us in last season's bowl. We win this one going away.

That's my take too.

Sure, it's "possible" we could blow this game but highly unlikely. I think NU crushes them like a bug. This ain't last year's "couldn't care less" bowl.