Denardo has some interesting tweets

Haha a couple Iowa fans asked how they stacked up, he told them flat out Nebraska is more talented and deeper.

Couple more that caught my eye:

"WR much like secondary -they have talent -and much like the LB they need game reps"

"Compton on the rise"

He mentioned we have plenty of talent at RB, he likes Jake Cotton, T-MO did well.

Seemed to like what the O-line was doing, loved the D-line depth.

I am just realizing that Denardo is not Alfonzo Dennard.

Oops.

I agree that effectiveness >> balance. Generally, having one exceptional weapon makes up for weaknesses in other areas. With QB it's a little, just because ineffectiveness in the passing game can negatively impact the effectiveness of other offensive weapons.

I guess I'd put it differently...you don't need to be balanced, to be balanced. ;) Bad passing QBs can be effective at passing, and therefore be an effective dual-threat, because they can force defenses to commit to the run and give the receivers a much easier go of it. Bad running QBs can rip off 58-yard runs like Andrew Luck, because everyone's back deep in coverage. Just step up in the pocket and go.

Balance is important, but you can achieve balance without so-called balanced players.

Nebraska Practice - QB - they are built to beat you with their legs and hopefully hurt you with their ARMS but balanced they are not.

Hmmmmm.....

Lack of balance was the hallmark of some of our greatest teams. Balance for the sake of balance is overrated.

Effectiveness >>>>>> Balance

Pummeling somebody into submission > Balance

Here's the video of DiNardo and co. talking about the two Nebraska practices they saw. They definitely love our talent, and their concerns about offense are no different than what we already knew, and what people constantly said about Osborne's offenses. We will have to prove that we can throw if the other team loads up to stop the run, and we will have trouble on 3rd and long (every offense has trouble on 3rd and long).

I was more replying to DeNardo than you, GSG. I definitely agree that we need to be able to pass effectively when a team shuts down the run game. That was always the Achilles heel of our 80s teams.

True, but most teams couldn't shut down the running game, and the ones that could shut it down, couldn't do it for four quarters since Osborne knew ramming it down team's throats would eventually wear them down. Obviously it didn't always work, but that was the M.O. it seemed.

Hopefully teams will have to commit 8 or 9 guys in order to stop our running game. That's where we were with Texas last year. Then our QB needs to throw the ball well enough that our wide open receivers can catch it, and our receivers have to actually catch it.

Martinez isn't going to become Joe Montana - but if he improves even a little in his passing game, and is as dangerous as we all know he can be as a runner, he's going to be a deadly weapon. Receiver is the bigger question going into this year, but I think there's definitely potential there.

Honestly, what I like hearing more than anything else is that our offensive line might be the most physical in the conference.

Nebraska Practice - QB - they are built to beat you with their legs and hopefully hurt you with their ARMS but balanced they are not.

Hmmmmm.....

Just so everyone knows, Fonze didn't tweet this, it was BTN's Gerry DiNardo.

Just so everyone knows, I knew it was Gerry and not Fonzie ;)

Hmmmmm.....

Lack of balance was the hallmark of some of our greatest teams. Balance for the sake of balance is overrated.

Effectiveness >>>>>> Balance

+10,000