Report: Florida State discussing move to SEC

The Dude

With the back and forth regarding Texas A&M's possible jump to the SEC, there is one more piece of the puzzle worth considering.

If the Aggies do make the leap, who would be the primary target for spot No. 14?

The popular belief is that SEC expansion would first involve an increase to 14 teams, then eventually finish at 16. Because the shrinking Big 12 and their displeasure with Texas and the Longhorn Network, Texas A&M leaving would not be a huge shock. But once you start to look at candidates for that fourteenth spot is where things get messy. According to a report in the Palm Beach Post, the rumors of Florida State making the jump as well are "real."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31275207

Discuss with discussions.

Nope. Don't see Florida State, and if you don't see Florida State, then you can't see Clemson or Ga. Tech being a candidate for the same reasons.

I think they go further north and get someone that's outside the footprint--like I said elsewhere, Maryland and Missouri doesn't set your heart a racin' when it comes to sports prowess...but if you're wearing your television network hats, the addition of either footprint to the Texas footprint would make your heart go pitter-pat.

Nope. Don't see Florida State, and if you don't see Florida State, then you can't see Clemson or Ga. Tech being a candidate for the same reasons.

I think they go further north and get someone that's outside the footprint--like I said elsewhere, Maryland and Missouri doesn't set your heart a racin' when it comes to sports prowess...but if you're wearing your television network hats, the addition of either footprint to the Texas footprint would make your heart go pitter-pat.

Florida State is smart, they see where this is eventually going and want a seat in the league they rebuffed years ago because the competition was stiffer. Gone are the days when "easiest league to win" will be the driving force behind top football schools.

There's only so many chairs and the 3 leagues that will be around when the music stops for sure are the Pac, B1G and SEC. Everything else is unknown.

A team that could compliment the addition of Texas A&M in the West could be the addition of Virginia Tech in the East. It adds a completely new TV market, as Georgia Tech has Georgia, Clemson has South Carolina, and Florida State has Florida. Plus, Virginia Tech is a competitive team, Clemson, Ga Tech aren't. Using my 1st reason (TV Market), Virginia Tech seems like the best possible candidate to me.

I don't see that happening. I think Florida State has just as big if not bigger rivalry with Miami than they do with Florida and wouldn't want to lose that matchup. I also don't think Florida would want Florida St in SEC with the recruiting implications.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that FSU's rivalry with Miami is bigger than that with Florida. Do you live in Florida? Because all I hear around here from FSU fans is the Florida-FSU matchup, it's huge. Hardly ever do I hear about Miami-FSU.

I think the fact that the Big10 invited NU proves that TV footprint does not drive expansion. The Big10 chose the Nebraska market over the New Jersey/NYC market. FSU moves the dial more than Missouri or Maryland. Which game would you watch FSU vs LSU or Maryland vs Florida?

Why would FSU go the the SEC? $$$$$

I think it is a done deal, and now the ACC needs one more team and I don't think they have more the offer than the Big East when the Big East is negotiating a new primary rights deal.

I think the fact that the Big10 invited NU proves that TV footprint does not drive expansion. The Big10 chose the Nebraska market over the New Jersey/NYC market. FSU moves the dial more than Missouri or Maryland. Which game would you watch FSU vs LSU or Maryland vs Florida?

I think it is a done deal, and now the ACC needs one more team and I don't think they have more the offer than the Big East when the Big East is negotiating a new primary rights deal.

I have to disagree with that man. Nebraska has a huge, huge TV footprint. We're one of the top draws nationally. No question adding Nebraska adds a whole bunch of eyeballs to the BTN.

If you're talking about local, regional populace than I can maybe see your point. But we're a national program. Fans in every state. That's a big footprint.

Agree with nebula. NU has a following in every state. I live in OKC and I see a minimum of 5 Husker tags at my work's parking lot and I am always talking to fans that are wearing the gear at restaurants.

Just look at the BTN thread and how many people out of state are asking about getting the games. NU is huge national and the Big10 knew it and that was one of the major reasons the vote was quick to add us.

When it comes to TV draw, NU is unique. I'm a Husker Alum and have lived in Illinois for 40 years. I've run into many people who watch the Big Red on TV and follow NU football and have never lived in Nebraska or attended school there. Strongly suspect that the same phenomena exists in many other states.

That's not correct. Ratings and footprint, in that order, drive these decisions. It's a one-two punch--you get national brands that everyone wants to see, but then you get a large local base to show it in, as that's the money that keeps the lights on in your conference.

Plus, there's no cap to your ad rates--the better your conference gets, the higher the rates go, and the more money you make. And you can soak your footprint areas (sometimes 5x) more than you do non-footprint areas for ad rates.

With the Big 10, they got a ratings-grabber in Nebraska. One of the next two Big 10 expansion targets will need to significantly expand the local footprint (e.g. Rutgers and NY/NJ, Maryland and DC/Baltimore), and the other can be another 'national brand' (e.g. Kansas, Notre Dame)

With the SEC and Florida State, you have a different set of circumstances: Florida likely doesn't want to compete against FSU any more than they are, and Florida State doesn't expand the footprint--the SEC is already in the whole of Florida.

From a media market standpoint, that's why Missouri makes sense--they're net new markets that would go along great with the Houston and 1/2 of the San Antonio market they'll get. Forget that Missouri plays substandard sports--they still get TV sets in major metropolitan areas.

I'd wager the only way we'll see FSU (or Clemson/Ga. Tech) getting a SEC invite is if they break down and go to 16 teams. With the exception of Maryland, they will have expanded into all of the contiguous markets available and added two marquee names.