Alleged Miami Violations "Biggest NCAA Investigators Have Ever Seen"

nowhereman

So... does this mean we'll be seeing penalties to Miami sooner rather than later? And why are currently active players named by the Yahoo! article like Jacory Harris, among others, still practicing with the team?

My guess would be because the word "Alleged" is still being used in regards to the situation.

So what makes this so bad is...? Before you all run me through I just want to say how is this any different than another university telling a fellow colleague of mine when he was being recruited in the mid 90's that "a booster will walk up to you after each home game with an envelope...sometimes it has a 50 sometimes 500....just take it and walk away."

I understand this is on a grand scale but from my understanding this goes on all the time.

(Braces for retaliation)

So what makes this so bad is...? Before you all run me through I just want to say how is this any different than another university telling a fellow colleague of mine when he was being recruited in the mid 90's that "a booster will walk up to you after each home game with an envelope...sometimes it has a 50 sometimes 500....just take it and walk away."

I understand this is on a grand scale but from my understanding this goes on all the time.

(Braces for retaliation)

What makes this so bad is proof. Yahoo! has details upon details upon details. Interviews, photos, receipts, confessions, you name it.

If the NCAA had the same info from your buddy's school they'd be over there with investigators now, too.

You're basically saying this happens everywhere. Nobody will deny that. What's different here is the scale, the proof and the hypocrisy.

(Braces for retaliation)

I don't think you should have to brace for anything. The truth is the truth. We all know this stuff is rampant in college athletics, and if Nebraska players are involved in it they should know that they are putting the university and the state at risk. No one is exempt from this. Not us. Not anyone. The thing is you have to be able to prove it. "Some guy I knew told some other guy I knew" kind of stories aren't worth the time it takes to write them.

The trouble is I see no way to prevent this as a university or a program. What can Bo do to keep all 150+ guys on the roster clean? What can anyone do? And when you read parts of the Yahoo story where a guy is dead broke, has a kid to provide for, and is playing college ball for no pay, you can't blame him for taking what he can get. I think the problems in this story reach further than just the corruption of Miami. It's bad enough, and they should pay for it, but this story should fuel much larger discussions than that.

(Braces for retaliation)

This is what I don't get, it's the same counterargument every time this comes up, the 13 year old's greatest justification for doing whatever they want: "well everyone else is doing it!"

Plenty are, but it's against the rules, that's why its a big deal.

It may be going on "all the time" but people hate cheaters, so if you are going to do it, you better be prepared to get run out of town like a Tyrelle Pryor, Rick Neuheisel, or <insert any other cheater that got caught here>.

When you have a middle age ponzi-scheme-running-jock-sniffer with short man syndrome paying hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars (of other peoples money, but still) trying to buy the friendship of a bunch of 18 year olds you can't act surprised when your school gets thrown under the bus in retaliation when he finds out that they only wanted his money. Just like you cant stop paying some kid that got injured and ship him back home and expect it not to blow up in whoever was signing the checks face if thinks he should still be getting a check. The "well everyone else was doing it!" defense doesn't work for teenagers and it sure as hell isn't a defense the NCAA will have any sympathy for.

If a school decides it's worth the risk to have this going on, then its gotta be worth the punishment when it blows up. Hopefully the NCAA figures out a way to make it so far beyond even questionable what will happen and so devastating to a school that it just ends, but I'm not holding me breath on that.

The NCAA needs to stop worrying about schools money and program status and just blast people that do it. Maybe put a bounty out for people to come forward with provable evidence. Something like get caught once, any player involved ineligable for life, booster banished for life, coaches involved lifetime show cause, and school involved 1 year absolutely no NCAA athletics and no recruiting that year.

The problem with the NCAA is they have absolutely no power but punishment, they cant investigate like law enforcement. So pushing the punishments to be so extreme that there is absolutely no circumstance where the risk pays off is about the only way they'd ever actually be able to end this crap.

Everything like this starts somewhere. Someone gets in trouble and says, "But he did it too". This is my maybe not so off the wall interpretation of how this all started and how this gets us to today.

1) The NCAA knew and knows that this has been going on for years. (College football is BIG money so why take that away) very similar to steroids in baseball.

2) The Reggie Bush incident was pounded by the media and the NCAA had no choice (even though they did not want to get in the middle of it) to do more than just slap USC on the hand. The NCAA wanted USC to be successful because they bring dollars and cents from being on tv and being good.

3) After USC got it handed to them, they turned around and said "Hey if you are going to do this to us, you better take care of everyone else as well. You know they are doing the same thing."

4) From here the chips started to fall with every other University who has taken a hit recently.

A huge can of worms was opened up and as it may have gotten more out of hand in some places than others, its a HUGE issue now and who knows where it stops from here.

I see. For the record I would trust this guy with my life.

irafreak, i doubt you would say the university and that is fine. But i am curious of the time. I have worked with a few ex CFB players in my life. And I have built some pretty good relationships with a couple. It seems to me that in the mid to late 80's it was pretty common. Still happened in the early 90's but not as often. But i have been told by multiple people that i trust that money and more often benifits (clothes,food,ect.) were given on a pretty regular basis. I have no reason to believe they were lying to me. it was the culture at the time.

It doesnt make it right, and those caught should be punished to the fullest extent allowed by the NCAA

Donna Shalala expresses her regret over these allegations to The U:

To the University Community:

Since its founding more than 85 years ago, the University of Miami has stood for excellence in higher education in every endeavor, every degree, and every student. Our more than 15,000 students, on three campuses in 11 schools and colleges, and over 150,000 alumni expect our core values to remain steadfast and true in times of extraordinary achievement as well as those rare times when those values are called into question.

As a member of the University family, I am upset, disheartened, and saddened by the recent allegations leveled against some current and past student-athletes and members of our Athletic Department. Make no mistake—I regard these allegations with the utmost of seriousness and understand the concern of so many of you. We will vigorously pursue the truth, wherever that path may lead, and I have insisted upon complete, honest, and transparent cooperation with the NCAA from our staff and students. Our counsel is working jointly with the NCAA Enforcement Division in a thorough and meticulous investigation, which will require our patience.

I am in daily communication with our Board of Trustees, Executive Committee, Director of Athletics, and counsel, and will continue to work closely with the leaders of our University.

To our students, parents, faculty, alumni, and supporters—I encourage you to have patience as the process progresses; to have confidence in knowing that we are doing everything possible to discover the truth; to have faith in the many outstanding student-athletes and coaches who represent the University; and to have pride in what our University has accomplished and aspires to be.

She should have written a resignation letter, not this.

• Fire 5

Seeing the man go onto the field and had to have coaches take him off should have raised questions with the higher staff. I would be wanting to know who he is and why is he there on the field during that game. To say they were unaware as admin, has me in disbelief.

Oh please. The university president is hardly responsible, she's got an institution to run. They need to clean house in the athletic department. If she takes no action on this, then there's a problem with her.

Here's a picture of Shalala running her institution:

1313229436.jpg

Pictured are then basketball coach Frank Haith, Nevin Shapiro and Donna Shalala. She's holding the $50,000 check Shapiro just handed her.

There are also statements by Shapiro in the original Yahoo! article that Shalala frequently visited Shapiro in his luxury box, where he hosted parties with strippers and hookers.

She's neck-deep in this, man.

• Fire 1

We could be sitting here thinking about how we Just won this title or that title.... not to say that Nebraska was innocent of all wrong doing during the glory years.... but overall nothing remotely close to auburn Ohio St. Miami smu ou. I'm proud to say overall things were done the right way at Nebraska.

Hopefully. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. With all the dirty dealings going on, it would be hard to believe that we won all those games, yet we are cleaner than a preachers sheets. Especially when it seems that everyone else is dirty.......

I hope we did do things the right way.

We could be sitting here thinking about how we Just won this title or that title.... not to say that Nebraska was innocent of all wrong doing during the glory years.... but overall nothing remotely close to auburn Ohio St. Miami smu ou. I'm proud to say overall things were done the right way at Nebraska.

Hopefully. Don't count your chuckles chickens before they hatch. With all the dirty dealings going on, it would be hard to believe that we won all those games, yet we are cleaner than a preachers sheets. Especially when it seems that everyone else is dirty.......

I hope we did do things the right way.

im not saying we were squeaky clean. but i think we have had the right people in place to help assure that things didnt get way out of hand like miami or even remotely close to that