Something to chew on, regarding offense

zoogs

That's a good pull-quote. That rang bells with me last night when I read it, too.

Everyone claims that Taylor can pass. They point to his 3,000 yards passing his senior year, in a similar offense to what (we presume) we'll be running under Beck. Watson said last year something about (badly paraphrasing) Taylor being the best pure QB that he's seen in a while. There's that article from last year on ESPN where the guy breaks down the stats and says that Martinez can be successful passing in the Big Ten. So there are lots of signs that point to it working for him to pass more. I would love to see it.

It makes me somewhat giddy thinking of an offense with Rex and Taylor a threat to run, while our speedy WRs put pressure on the secondary. Toss Reed into that mix and you've got a lot of problems to cover for an opposing defense.

Everyone claims that Taylor can pass. They point to his 3,000 yards passing his senior year, in a similar offense to what (we presume) we'll be running under Beck. Watson said last year something about (badly paraphrasing) Taylor being the best pure QB that he's seen in a while.

I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on Taylor, but Cody Green put up real impressive numbers passing in HS. It's a totally different game in high school, and I really think this thing about Taylor having run the offense before is a lot more rhetoric than it is reality.

Also, Watson was being full of - you know - when he said that, if he did. :)

But none of this means that Taylor can't be successful passing. I am just eager to see some balance in what we are going to do. I always like that as a goal. Offenses should be able to play off their strengths and attack defenses in different ways.

As for this year's offense, "I think we'll be a lot more balanced, (rather) than just me trying to run the ball and Rex running the ball," Martinez said. "I think I'll probably throw the ball a lot more than what I did last year."

Throw the ball more? I thought we were going back to "Husker" Football and running it 90% of the time. <_<

Taylor can pass.. He gained a ton of confidence from the OSU game and was really starting to get quite comfortable passing the ball when he got hurt. Go look at the stats from the first half of that Missouri game, he was pretty dang good... better than many other QB's more highly touted last year against that same defense.

The problem was that it's pretty tough for a right handed QB to throw an accurate ball when you can't step down hard and plant your right leg. Not being able to do that makes it very difficult to straighten your spine to throw a good ball, especially on a short drop or on the run.

As for this year's offense, "I think we'll be a lot more balanced, (rather) than just me trying to run the ball and Rex running the ball," Martinez said. "I think I'll probably throw the ball a lot more than what I did last year."

Throw the ball more? I thought we were going back to "Husker" Football and running it 90% of the time. <_<

I just want to go back to Husker football where we score 90% of the time.

• Fire 6

I think he will throw the ball more this year than last but we will still be a heavy lean in the run game. I bet a lot of his passes are screens and quick passes trying to get the speedsters the ball in space. I think he needs to throw more as a necessity to keep the hits he will take down and to stay healthy.

• Fire 1
I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on Taylor, but Cody Green put up real impressive numbers passing in HS. It's a totally different game in high school, and I really think this thing about Taylor having run the offense before is a lot more rhetoric than it is reality.

I just get tired of hearing, "he put up great passing numbers in High School"

That was high school, not Division I.

You are both 100% correct, and I'm usually the first one to say that what happened in High School doesn't necessarily translate to college, just like college doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL. I was merely pointing out what others have cited as evidence of future success.

I just get tired of hearing, "he put up great passing numbers in High School"

That was high school, not Division I.

You are both 100% correct, and I'm usually the first one to say that what happened in High School doesn't necessarily translate to college, just like college doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL. I was merely pointing out what others have cited as evidence of future success.

Wait a minute! I thought Cody Green was an NFL caliber QB and that's why he was switching to a school that could get him in the pros.

I think he will throw the ball more this year than last but we will still be a heavy lean in the run game. I bet a lot of his passes are screens and quick passes trying to get the speedsters the ball in space. I think he needs to throw more as a necessity to keep the hits he will take down and to stay healthy.

This. It hopefully will defenses honest.

I'd really like to see that. Watson never did enough to keep aggressive defenses honest, in fact a lot of times he ran Taylor right into the teeth of the defense. I have much more faith in Carnes than I had in Green (despite the fact that I've never even seen Brion Carnes play, which tells you about how much faith I had in Cody Green), but having an injured TMart can only make things worse. Though I haven't exactly heaped the praise on Taylor in the past, I think that if he's 100% healthy he can be a threat, but I have to see him at 100% health against a quality defense before I can say for sure. Screens and quick hits aren't going to guarantee he doesn't get hit, but it'll certainly help, and if done right could work very well.

Thanks for pulling that quote out, I hadn't gone over specifics from the player interviews.

I've been of the opinion for awhile yet that this offense will involve a lot more passing than most people are expecting, and I think that's a great thing. We're not going to win a national championship with an offense like GTech or Navy, we're going to win one with an offense like Oregon. Passing can be an essential part of the equation while still maintaining an option football running game. I think it'll be a beautiful thing in action.

<BartScott>

Can't wait!

</BartScott>

Thanks for pulling that quote out, I hadn't gone over specifics from the player interviews.

I've been of the opinion for awhile yet that this offense will involve a lot more passing than most people are expecting, and I think that's a great thing. We're not going to win a national championship with an offense like GTech or Navy, we're going to win one with an offense like Oregon. Passing can be an essential part of the equation while still maintaining an option football running game. I think it'll be a beautiful thing in action.

<BartScott>

Can't wait!

</BartScott>

I'd love to see Tmart flinging it around. He showed flashes of brilliance against Okie Lite last year. Granted, they were a terrible pass defense last year, but still. That counts for more than HS stats, anyway.

<BartScott>

Can't wait!

</BartScott>

I'd love to see Tmart flinging it around. He showed flashes of brilliance against Okie Lite last year. Granted, they were a terrible pass defense last year, but still. That counts for more than HS stats, anyway.

I would agree with this. Oklahoma State's pass defense, although abysmal, is still a more accomplished feat then a high school pass defense.

That game was just very uncharacteristic by all meanings of the term. We gave up I believe the second most points since Pelini got here, Amukamara got worked by Blackmon (but Blackmon is a damn good receiver) and we just didn't look our part on defense. And then our offense comes out and puts together one of it's best performances of the season.

If you had told me before the OSU game that OSU would score 41 points, I'd say that would have meant a clear OSU victory.