Dr. Saturday has NU #5

5. NEBRASKA.

When Nebraska hired Bo Pelini in 2007, it was to execute one clear, immediate mission: Fix the defense. And so he has. Three years later, the revived Blackshirts finished among the top dozen defenses nationally last year in yards and points allowed for the second year in a row, and among the top five against the pass — all after losing the most dominating lineman of the last decade. With eight returning starters and potential All-Americans/first-round draft picks at every level, the Cornhusker D is second to none in its old conference or its new one.

Still, the 'Huskers begin 2011 in much the same place they began 2010, in search of a spark for an offense that wasted away over the course of three losses in the final four games. At least this time there's no question about the starting quarterback, or his place in the offense: Before an assortment of injuries snuffed out his highest gear, Taylor Martinez was one of the most lethal "dual threat" QBs in the country. Assuming he remains a threat as a runner, Martinez doesn't have to become John Elway overnight. But his right arm and durability are essential to snapping Nebraska's 11-year drought without a conference championship, and if he shores up the rash of turnovers that contributed so much to last year's decline, the Big Ten crown may not be the highest rung on the ladder.

The Cream

Oklahoma at #4, and NU at #5 ?? That's the lowest I've seen OU ranked and the highest I've seen NU ranked. Honestly, I think OU should be above Boise and Stanford. And NU should probably be down around #10 or #11. Not that it really matters much.

Why is too high? We haven't even seen a single snap and you're going to claim it's too high? I am fully aware that there are questions about our offense etc. but perhaps those questions have been answered. Why don't we wait til Saturday to make claims that a #5 ranking is too high! Besides, why would you want to argue that Nebraska, our team, is ranked too high? That's just weird to me. My belief is that they can win them all and until they do otherwise i'm going to stand by that belief. That's nebraska football if you ask me.

It was Nebraska football. I think we also have to be realistic in terms of the team we are returning to the field, and we'll be using an offense that our players aren't yet used to. I don't think we will know what kind of team we have after week one. For me, I want to see us convert 3rd downs in tough situations, and I want to see us play from behind. It's silly to claim we are the most talented and experienced team heading into this season. Is #5 too high? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't think it's hard to see why most feel more comfortable with us sitting around the 10 spot.

Well, we were up 17 points on this years number one team in the land last year. They have the same team as last year minus Demarco Murry, we have the same team as last year minus a few, if we win that game people are talking "TMart for Heisman and Landry Jones is a terrible QB." I dont see this as too far fetched. Good logic behind it to be honest.

It was Nebraska football. I think we also have to be realistic in terms of the team we are returning to the field, and we'll be using an offense that our players aren't yet used to. I don't think we will know what kind of team we have after week one. For me, I want to see us convert 3rd downs in tough situations, and I want to see us play from behind. It's silly to claim we are the most talented and experienced team heading into this season. Is #5 too high? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't think it's hard to see why most feel more comfortable with us sitting around the 10 spot.

It was Nebraska football?? It IS Nebraska football, and as I stated before I'm well aware of the questions that are surrounding this years squad. That doesn't mean that they can not and will not be answered though. To me, it doesn't make sense to take a pessimistic stance on our football team. Take some pride in the potential of our team. I understand realistic expectations but some people are putting the cart in front of the horse and assuming that a top 5 ranking is too high when they haven't seen anything yet. To me that's BS.

It was Nebraska football?? It IS Nebraska football, and as I stated before I'm well aware of the questions that are surrounding this years squad. That doesn't mean that they can not and will not be answered though. To me, it doesn't make sense to take a pessimistic stance on our football team. Take some pride in the potential of our team. I understand realistic expectations but some people are putting the cart in front of the horse and assuming that a top 5 ranking is too high when they haven't seen anything yet. To me that's BS.

Agree to disagree, I guess. The last decade has been a tough one, and we have a tough road ahead. It's only 5 spots off from where most talking heads are putting us. Remember, I'm also one of the many saying I'm happy hearing Bo and Taylor and Crick talking about how the goal is the National Championship this year. I don't think we have been consistent enough to say we are back to where we were in the 90's with perennial top 5 pre-season rankings, especially when we've seen so much inconsistency on the offensive side of the ball. If the season plays out how we all hope, we could certainly warrant a top 5 ranking. But I think I have just cause for the questions. Those questions are why pre-season shouldn't even have rankings. I say wait a few weeks (see BCS rankings).

:moreinteresting Man we need football...now.... :corndance

For comparison, this is Dr. Saturday's 2010 preseason poll

1 Boise St. Broncos --

2 Alabama Crimson Tide --

3 Ohio St. Buckeyes --

4 Florida Gators --

5 Iowa Hawkeyes --

6 Texas Longhorns --

7 TCU Horned Frogs --

8 Oregon Ducks --

9 Virginia Tech Hokies --

10 Pittsburgh Panthers --