Barney Cotton to help Beck coach from the booth, not the sidelines

knapplc

Newsflash....Bo already fired TWO offensive coaches. That's two more than Clownahan canned and also proves he not intimidated to make the move if needed.

Bo decided to keep Barney. Have you ever, ever considered that just "maybe" Bo knows a little something about cfb?

Barney will never be fired, at least not in those terms. He will likely be reassigned to a role in the AD, and moved completely away from coaching. Barney is well liked by those in the AD, and I'd be really surprised if he didn't get a job there in some form or fashion.

But we brought in Garrison and Stai who have taken over a majority of the coaching during practices. Even Milt has helped away from the field in offering advice to the coaches quite often.

Pretty much putting it bluntly, you don't bring in so many coaches for one position because that coach is excelling.

I've dedhoarse since Barney came aboard about his coaching resume. He hasn't proven me, or anyone else wrong about what he is capable of doing.

No this means we will have the same pathetic offense that we had under Frank and he ran at ISU.

So an entire fanbase can't figure out this offense, and yet you get all of that out of the statement that Barney will be in the press box.

This is why I post almost nothing on this board, nor any other board these days. Far too many fans are out of their damn minds. The tiniest little things get fans riled up these days. One wonders if humans have evolved their sense of judgement far enough to handle the instantaneous transmission of information.

I'll give it another try next year.

I love this quote! I don't see why this is such a big deal. It sure seemed like for the last couple years we've had an OC that wanted to run one type of offense and an Oline coach that specialized in a different type of offense.

Here's a crazy idea. Let's stick the NEW OC up in the box with the OLine coach and see if they can't get on the same page....

Newsflash....Bo already fired TWO offensive coaches. That's two more than Clownahan canned and also proves he not intimidated to make the move if needed.

Bo decided to keep Barney. Have you ever, ever considered that just "maybe" Bo knows a little something about cfb?

Barney will never be fired, at least not in those terms. He will likely be reassigned to a role in the AD, and moved completely away from coaching. Barney is well liked by those in the AD, and I'd be really surprised if he didn't get a job there in some form or fashion.

But we brought in Garrison and Stai who have taken over a majority of the coaching during practices. Even Milt has helped away from the field in offering advice to the coaches quite often.

Pretty much putting it bluntly, you don't bring in so many coaches for one position because that coach is excelling.

I've dedhoarse since Barney came aboard about his coaching resume. He hasn't proven me, or anyone else wrong about what he is capable of doing.

What I don't understand about this is, if Bo is trying to two-step Barney into an office chair, why didn't he just get it over with? I suppose it makes sense if he wants to give the new guys a trial at coaching. Otherwise it looks like he's going to elaborate lengths to keep dead wood floating along in the program.

I would like to hope that this season is the one where Cotton gets the o-line playing like the old days, we all remember. If Bo does need to make a change, it will be tough to do. With Cotton's sons on the team and Tom O as a long time friend, this will be a uncomfortable decision, for both of them to make. BC couldn't do it with Coz and it cost him. Bo won't let that happen, to him. T O

won't stand in Bo's way, but it will still be tough on Bo and T O.

Cotton deserves a little more respect on this board, than he has been shown. He may not be the the right man for the job, this may be the last chance for him, but the name calling and the snide remarks of a former Husker doesn't sit right. I like many of you have a soft spot for former Huskers. We shouldn't just blow the horns of the former stars, the vast majority deserve our respect, for all they did or tried to do. I don't know if Watson, or injuries, or players not living up to their hype, has been a problem for Cotton in his job, or maybe he just can't do the job. Now he has to learn a new system again. Do I hope he proves everyone wrong this year, and has that o-line clicking, like days of old, of course. If it doesn't, well lets let him walk out with the respect he deserves as a former Husker who has given a lot to this program through the years.

bshirt you are one exclamation mark from plagiarism, jk :lol:

GBR!!!

What I don't understand about this is, if Bo is trying to two-step Barney into an office chair, why didn't he just get it over with? I suppose it makes sense if he wants to give the new guys a trial at coaching. Otherwise it looks like he's going to elaborate lengths to keep dead wood floating along in the program.

One reason Cotton was brought back was due to his history with the program and his connections with the in-state coaches. Billy C had them so pissed off we needed a Nebraska guy who knew the schools to come in an fix things. Bo had also rubbed a few coaches the wrong way in his year here that while minor could have still been lingering. They didn't want to chance it. Cotton was very good at that aspect when we needed it. He also is very very good administratively which shouldn't go unnoticed. There is an incredible amount of that stuff the head coach is responsible for and he took care of a good portion of that when Bo was focused on building the defense.

One reason Cotton was brought back was due to his history with the program and his connections with the in-state coaches. Billy C had them so pissed off we needed a Nebraska guy who knew the schools to come in an fix things. Bo had also rubbed a few coaches the wrong way in his year here that while minor could have still been lingering. They didn't want to chance it. Cotton was very good at that aspect when we needed it. He also is very very good administratively which shouldn't go unnoticed. There is an incredible amount of that stuff the head coach is responsible for and he took care of a good portion of that when Bo was focused on building the defense.

All of which helps explain Barney's title.

No this means we will have the same pathetic offense that we had under Frank and he ran at ISU.

So an entire fanbase can't figure out this offense, and yet you get all of that out of the statement that Barney will be in the press box.

This is why I post almost nothing on this board, nor any other board these days. Far too many fans are out of their damn minds. The tiniest little things get fans riled up these days. One wonders if humans have evolved their sense of judgement far enough to handle the instantaneous transmission of information.

I'll give it another try next year.

You tell me what he brings to the table by being in the press box? He's not coaching the OL (which is a good thing) but if he has input with the play calling, then that is a bad thing since he was the OC for the worst offense we had the past decade. Look at it this way, Barney is the Cozgrove of OC's.

Way to take things out of context. But if this is all you bring to the board, then don't worry, nobody will miss you.

Considering how congested things are on the OL and DL, I'd venture to guess Barney will be able to see a lot more from his OL while watching them from the press box rather than on the sideline.

You tell me what he brings to the table by being in the press box? He's not coaching the OL (which is a good thing) but if he has input with the play calling, then that is a bad thing since he was the OC for the worst offense we had the past decade. Look at it this way, Barney is the Cozgrove of OC's.

Bo has commented in the past that he has gone to Coach Cotton for ideas. There have been several articles that have indicated that Cotton is good at the big picture. Cotton has indicated that he works well with Coach Beck. Cotton will not get in Beck's way. Cotton will evaluate the splits and what the front 7 is trying to do and make recommendations when Beck asks. Splitting up the oline coaches make sense. I thought Barney did a decent job as OC when he was here. There were a few things that made it challenging for him that would of been tough for anyone. If Bo had doubts about Barney he would of made the change last year. I bet Beck had input as well. I will trust Bo&Beck on this one.

Is it Els and Raymond in the booth for the D?

Bo has commented in the past that he has gone to Coach Cotton for ideas. There have been several articles that have indicated that Cotton is good at the big picture. Cotton has indicated that he works well with Coach Beck. Cotton will not get in Beck's way. Cotton will evaluate the splits and what the front 7 is trying to do and make recommendations when Beck asks. Splitting up the oline coaches make sense. I thought Barney did a decent job as OC when he was here. There were a few things that made it challenging for him that would of been tough for anyone. If Bo had doubts about Barney he would of made the change last year. I bet Beck had input as well. I will trust Bo&Beck on this one.

Looking at it again, the last two years whoever was pushed to the box from the sideline was fired after the year, so I'll ease up on Barney since this is likely his last year here. (Thank God!)

A decent job? 345 yards a game and only scoring 16 points vs the only two teams with a heartbeat that year (7 UT and 9 KSU) is decent?

Looking at it again, the last two years whoever was pushed to the box from the sideline was fired after the year, so I'll ease up on Barney since this is likely his last year here. (Thank God!)

A decent job? 345 yards a game and only scoring 16 points vs the only two teams with a heartbeat that year (7 UT and 9 KSU) is decent?

agreed, next season ole Barn will be in the stands........

In Barney's defense we weren't exactly loaded, and Lord was pretty dang limited as a qb. He was good for the occasional play-action long-ball, that was it. Not saying he was a great OC by any means, but I'd say that O was more the product of tons of recruiting deadweight and not recruiting hard during the season than Barney.

it's just a fact that Barney it a terrible coach and is a waste of money and a coaching position on the staff.

People really need to learn the difference between facts and opinions. And that's just my opinion, not a fact.

I't's amazing how many people claim their "opinions" are "facts" because....well.....because.......they say so!

Without going into many details, I'll just say Barney has too many allies outside of the coaching staff to allow him to get fired easily. It has taken 3 years of very bad line play to even get to this point in possibly getting rid of the guy.

Without going into many details, I'll just say Barney has too many allies outside of the coaching staff to allow him to get fired easily. It has taken 3 years of very bad line play to even get to this point in possibly getting rid of the guy.

Bo let Watson down easy, looks like Barney is on the same glide path, though a simple retirement or admin. job for Barn would be more appropriate.