What did we learn???

walksalone

Well, some would argue that we only scored 33 points with our offense, because the defense set them up once <_< I don't believe in that though. We scored 40. And sure we were rusty, but I think that's to be expected, and not something to be worried too much about. I'm glad. I hope it humbles that unit a bit, and I think it's better for us this year to know we need to work hard from the beginning. If we came out blasting scrub teams, they would get overconfident and that's one thing we do not need.

On the other hand, we broke some runs by using our speed advantage, but we were very sloppy all over the place, against Ten-Chatta-freaking-nooga, which has to be a bit of a concern. It'll be more to worry about when it doesn't get corrected though.

I don't want to see us flash and rely on superior athleticism over much inferior squads (though of course, it's nice). I want to see technically sound ball and well-run plays. We'll have time to get there on O.

D looks sick as usual.

Agree.

The offense needs work in every aspect of the game - Martinez's passing needs work, the oline needs work, the WRs need to be more reliable catching the ball, Burkhead needs to study the audibles a bit more as he had several busts, and the freshmen running backs need to be more patient. The option game showed some flashes, and I think those kinks will get worked out in time, with both Carnes and Martinez. Even 2 weeks from now, I don't expect to see the same mistakes in the option game.

The defense needs work too, I think the secondary needs to be more physical. We had some busts there, and those will also get cleaned up soon.

Glad to see penalties and turnovers get better. The fumbles will decrease as they get kinks worked out in special teams and the option game. I'd be a lot more worried if the fumbles were occurring because of contact/lack of ball security, like they were all the time last year.

I have a feeling this board is going to melt down tonight, but I really think that the offense will get better, people just need to be patient. Today was the first game, it's a very young offense, and it's a new scheme and a new OC. They'll improve. The biggest questions for me are whether the Oline can improve enough for it to compete in conference play, and whether Martinez can rid himself of some bad habits, particularly his tendency to stare receivers down.

As far as Martinez goes - he looks 100%, he obviously knows the offense better and is making good pre-snap decisions at the line. He read the defense pretty well today running the option, and he actually threw a ball away today instead of taking a sack. He definitely showed improvement, he just needs to continue to improve.

1) I thought Roach had a nice game for his first official action

2) Defense has some really nice depth at the front 4 and Db's.

3) Offense - feast or famine. I think they are working in the younger players slowly at wr.. Disappointed that they didnt get more snaps in for the backup QB's.

4) BK didnt have the best game. Enunwa had a really nice game.

5) Line - work in progress. Probably a year away. Lets see how much improvement they can make during the season.

6) While we had some big plays on the option are QB's/backs don't run it very well yet. Takes lots of practice though....

1. People need to calm down about the offense. This is week one, game one. There were some issues, some confusion, but we have a few weeks to get it cleaned up. As long as the offense IMPROVES––which was never a feature under Watson––we'll be okay. Practice, practice, practice.

2. D-line got good pressure and we've got some physical guys at all levels.

3. 3 penalties. Much better. Keep that up and it'll be huge.

The oline didn't have the push I wanted to see. Hope it's just being so young and they'll come around. We need to catch the ball better, Tmart needs to throw better, but the Oline is the biggie.

Thd upside is that Turner is electrifying with the ball. Just love that kid. Tmart is back and a true weapon with his feet. The defense will rock again. For me best of all was Beck. 3rd & two...he repeatably ran the ball for a 1st down. Just bloody LOVED that.

I think we'll be ok.

GBR!!

• Fire 1

1. People need to calm down about the offense. This is week one, game one. There were some issues, some confusion, but we have a few weeks to get it cleaned up. As long as the offense IMPROVES––which was never a feature under Watson––we'll be okay. Practice, practice, practice.

I disagree about some aspects of the offense. Where we need 2 yards and can't get it? That doesn't require chemistry and complicated blocking, that's drive your guy off the ball, and we couldn't do it.

The Good:

Stafford is our new Gomes.

Maher is a nice kicker...how do you follow up Henery but this kid did well.

Camstache!

Crick played pretty good.

Abdullah looks like a good returner.

Enunwa caught some balls.

Cooper a potential new stud on ST.

The Bad:

Offense looks like has same issues as last year. Expect it to be locked down by good opponents.

TMart staring down receivers. Still has trouble in the passing game.

Miss Dennard. Green got picked on.

Coverage not very good today.

Kinnie a non-factor.

Why is Turner not on the field more?

We are going to get a helluva game from Fresno St.

The Ugly:

Plenty of miscues from opening KO throughout game. Per Bo we play "sloppy".

Our option is ugly. If another team ran it this poorly we'd be laughing them out of the stadium. Hope we were getting in practice because if we rely on it this much we are in trouble.

I disagree about some aspects of the offense. Where we need 2 yards and can't get it? That doesn't require chemistry and complicated blocking, that's drive your guy off the ball, and we couldn't do it.

Agreed Lyons. While the offense should improve with time, we need to be able to punch it in against a glorified high school team.

Also, Stien really needs to step it up if he wants to live up to all the offseason hype. Noticed him still getting pushed around way too much.