Kinnie

okaive

It doesn't matter if you have the biggest heart on the team, work the hardest or are the nicest guy. What matters is production. Kinnie dropped every (or at least almost every) ball that was thrown his way yesterday. I know he dropped at least four. A player could "bust their arse" every day, but that doesn't mean they're good enough to start.

I take a harsh stance on this kind of stuff, but he is getting a completely free college education to catch a couple of footballs and score some touchdowns. He has an opportunity many people don't get. Students first, athletes second, but you need to do what you're technically getting paid to do or else you shouldn't start. He has had two underwhelming games and needs to step it up, and be the leader he needs to be.

but people are acting like all wrs do is catch balls. he has an important role with his excellent blocking. very important for a rush offense the can't get a push up the middle.

also, how many of those were even decent throws?

If you want to be on the field, you should be well-rounded at both aspects of your game as a WR. I never really pay much attention to WR blocking, but let's say Kinnie is a great blocker. He has still done poorly catching and you should have to do both if you want to be on the field, otherwise you should merely be a situational player.

We know Kinnie can catch footballs, so I'm not saying he shouldn't start. I'm saying he needs to get his act together.

I'll have to rewatch the game, but from memory there were at least two balls he definitely should have caught. Even the first he dropped (that Martinez through high), had to be thrown that high or else it could have been intercepted. It was a catchable ball and you have to make those catches. If it hits you in the hands like it did him it should be a reception.

fine.

i do agree with you, but it seemed like some people had lost all perspective.

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact I too agree people jump to conclusions and get doom-and-gloom long before it is necessary.

With the exception of abysmal defensive play today, for example, I was extremely proud of how our other WR's stepped up today, especially Enunwa and Turner.

The bottomline is Kinnie and all our WR's need to start catching balls...not every pass is going to be perfect. But every Saturday I see WR's making great plays (check out the Michigan WR's tonight)...and the ball caught for the TD by Harper from Fresno St. tonight was a better TD catch than any I can remember from NU in years. Now, the ball caught by Turner tonight was in the category of a great catch...on that catch alone I give the kid more playing time...he seems to be in the mold of that type of receiver which I see plenty of playing for other teams on Saturdays. Turner and Reed can do this...our other WR's drop it unless hit perfectly in stride or perfect throws, etc. Go up and get the damn ball! Make a play!

The bottomline is Kinnie and all our WR's need to start catching balls...not every pass is going to be perfect. But every Saturday I see WR's making great plays (check out the Michigan WR's tonight)...and the ball caught for the TD by Harper from Fresno St. tonight was a better TD catch than any I can remember from NU in years. Now, the ball caught by Turner tonight was in the category of a great catch...on that catch alone I give the kid more playing time...he seems to be in the mold of that type of receiver which I see plenty of playing for other teams on Saturdays. Turner and Reed can do this...our other WR's drop it unless hit perfectly in stride or perfect throws, etc. Go up and get the damn ball! Make a play!

Exactly. Enunwa and Turner had great games today, and Turner had an amazing catch deserving of a lot of praise.

I think the last time I remember a "great" catch was Mo Purify's against A&M, but it's tough for me to think of the last time I saw an athletic/impressive touchdown catch like the one Fresno St. had late in the game.

BK has a whopping 2 catches for 7 yards. He's been thrown to 9 times. Out of those 9 total passes all but 1 have hit his hands. This is a big problem in my mind. Maybe this will help peoples perspectives a little on him. Not every pass is going to be perfect and 99% of the time it wont be perfect. If a player can't adjust to the pass or at least make an attempt on the ball, he should be on the bench. As it stands, in my opinion, he is lazy and has hands of stone.

It doesn't matter if you have the biggest heart on the team, work the hardest or are the nicest guy. What matters is production. Kinnie dropped every (or at least almost every) ball that was thrown his way yesterday. I know he dropped at least four. A player could "bust their arse" every day, but that doesn't mean they're good enough to start.

I take a harsh stance on this kind of stuff, but he is getting a completely free college education to catch a couple of footballs and score some touchdowns. He has an opportunity many people don't get. Students first, athletes second, but you need to do what you're technically getting paid to do or else you shouldn't start. He has had two underwhelming games and needs to step it up, and be the leader he needs to be.

but people are acting like all wrs do is catch balls. he has an important role with his excellent blocking. very important for a rush offense the can't get a push up the middle.

also, how many of those were even decent throws?

If you want to be on the field, you should be well-rounded at both aspects of your game as a WR. I never really pay much attention to WR blocking, but let's say Kinnie is a great blocker. He has still done poorly catching and you should have to do both if you want to be on the field, otherwise you should merely be a situational player.

We know Kinnie can catch footballs, so I'm not saying he shouldn't start. I'm saying he needs to get his act together.

I'll have to rewatch the game, but from memory there were at least two balls he definitely should have caught. Even the first he dropped (that Martinez through high), had to be thrown that high or else it could have been intercepted. It was a catchable ball and you have to make those catches. If it hits you in the hands like it did him it should be a reception.

fine.

i do agree with you, but it seemed like some people had lost all perspective.

It's not a loss of perspective so much as frustration. As Enhance said, you really don't tend to notice when a WR is good at blocking unless they regularly put highlight reel-worthy blocks on guys, a la Hines Ward. You sure as hell do notice when a WR can't consistently catch a football, though. All the great blocking in the world is meaningless when a drive stalls because you dropped an easy 1st down or TD pass.

it is true. the last good game of his was against washington last september. he wasn't athletic, but he was able to shed defenders and get much needed extra yards, first downs. he does need to be more athletic, better at shaking defenders and getting in better position to catch the ball.

i agree, he needs to show more improvement fast, but i still have confidence in him.

but let's talk about how much young talent we have? how about that. hope they aren't wasted because of our o-line and qb.

I've read the blocking argument about 100 times now and it's getting really tired. Sure, receiver blocking is important. I'm not going to argue that.

BUT HE'S A RECEIVER. It's important, but it means sh*t all if you can't catch the ball. If you can't catch the ball, then the defense barely has to attempt to defend the pass, and we don't get rushing yards with your precious blocking because they have 9 people in the box. I'm not saying he should lose his starting role indefinitely, but I think he shouldn't start the next game.

I've read the blocking argument about 100 times now and it's getting really tired. Sure, blocking is important. I'm not going to argue that.

BUT HE'S A RECEIVER. It's important, but it means sh*t all if you can't catch the ball. If you can't catch the ball, then the defense barely has to attempt to defend the pass, and we don't get rushing yards with your precious blocking. I'm not saying he should lose his starting role indefinitely, but I think he shouldn't start the next game.

first, so indefinitely? or just the next game so he learns a lesson?

this is nebraska, for the past 30 wrs have just been glorified tight ends. but nonetheless he does need to improve, but calm down everyone. give this team and season some time. we all know he can catch, he just needs to get his head straight.

it is true. the last good game of his was against washington last september. he wasn't athletic, but he was able to shed defenders and get much needed extra yards, first downs. he does need to be more athletic, better at shaking defenders and getting in better position to catch the ball.

i agree, he needs to show more improvement fast, but i still have confidence in him.

but let's talk about how much young talent we have? how about that. hope they aren't wasted because of our o-line and qb.

Don't forget - Kinnie had three receptions for 62 yards and three touchdowns against Oklahoma St. last year.

But yes, the young talent we have is extremely promising. Enunwa, even after only two games, is turning into a reliable receiving threat. Turner has athleticism and, as we saw today, a nice set of hands for the deep ball.

Kinnie seems to have fallen into the same trap past receivers have. When they're young they show exceptional promise; everyone gets all excited about them; they make great catches/plays. Then by their Senior year, they're a dud. I've seen this happen with Paul, Nunn, Holt, Purify, Hardy, etc. I hope the young guys now don't fall into that same trap.

Don't forget - Kinnie had three receptions for 62 yards and three touchdowns against Oklahoma St. last year.

But yes, the young talent we have is extremely promising. Enunwa, even after only two games, is turning into a reliable receiving threat. Turner has athleticism and, as we saw today, a nice set of hands for the deep ball.

exactly, we'll be fine. our wrs corp is chocked full of talent, and i think kinnie is an important player to have out there.

I can't wait to see more of Turner. We need a guy who actually lives up to all the hype, and I think Turner has a great shot at being that guy.

I'm not saying he should lose his starting role indefinitely, but I think he shouldn't start the next game.

first, so indefinitely? or just the next game so he learns a lesson?

I said not indefinitely. So just for one game. But I guess I worded the whole thing weirdly.

It won't happen though. If dropping passes was ever going to result in someone being benched it would have happened already.

Paul was a model of inconsistency when it came to catching balls, but his potential for the big play and his good down-field blocking skills kept him on the field. I think you're going to see the same thing with Kinnie. Kinnie may not be as fast or athletic as Paul was, but he's the most experienced guy and I think he needs to be out there right now.

It doesn't seem like a great idea to me to let a bunch of 18-19 year-old receivers be out there without a veteran.

But I'm just thinking of the potential for this offense in two years. Three of five offensive linemen will be here, every single starting WR minus Kinnie I think, Green-Abdullah-Heard and Martinez. Woooooah