We will lose......

bsbch

I gotta agree with Cy on this one. I don't see many/any losses out there especially once we start conference play. If we truelly believe we can play with the big boys, then we should roll over Penn State. Other than Wisconsin, I don't see many hurdles standing in the way. I'd be very surprised if we go undefeated this year, but I'll also be very surprised if we lose more than two games.

Let's talk about losses once they happen. Sure, there are some tough teams out there. Could we lose some of those? It's certainly possible. No question. But I am not about to signal our surrender before the team takes the field. T-Mart is still a major weapon. Rex is still one heck of a RB. We could improve in terms of pass game and option pitch and read option stuff. The defense is coached by the Pelini's. And did anyone see the 52 yarder by Maher and the 100 yard run back by Abdula? I am certainly not in panic mode at this point.

Remember Ball State.... where we had to rally in the fourth quarter and only won because Ball State's clock management was bad and they missed what would have been a game-winning field goal at the end.

Fresno State did not lead in the fourth quarter. They didn't have the ball with a chance to win it.

We were answering their shots.

We'll be fine.

Agreed.

A lot of teams have a few games where they just look downright bad, but still get wins. A few examples in NU's somewhat recent history:

NU 42 Wyoming 32

NU-National Champs

Wyo- 6-6

NU 38 Central Florida 24

NU - National Champs

UCF - 5-6 in 2nd year of 1A ball (they did have Culpepper however)

NU 45 Mizzou 38 (OT)

NU - National Champs

Mizzou - 7-5

NU - 20 Southern Miss - 13

NU - 12-1, Conference Champs, Fiesta Bowl Champs

USM - 9-3, Conf-USA Champs (decent)

NU - 21 TCU - 7

NU - 11-2, MNC game, top 10 finish

TCU - 6-6

My point is, Nebraska has struggled in games in seasons where they ended up being good teams. No need in jumping ship on these guys after a few somewhat lackluster games. They are 2-0 right now. I will be the first to admit that Nebraska has shown a ton of holes in their armor, but the same was probably said after all the games I mentioned above. Until they actually lose, who really cares how they look?

• Fire 1

This is still a Pelini defense. They're going to improve as the season goes on.

As for 5-6 losses... You obviously didn't see Michigan barely beat an average at best Notre Dame team, or Ohio State escape Toledo, or Iowa lose to Iowa State. At this point, I think we lose to Wisconsin, but we're beyond capable of winning every other game on the schedule.

On the other hand, I saw a couple people say we wouldn't see another QB this year as good as Carr. They obviously haven't heard of Denard Robinson or Russell Wilson.

Michigan is garbage, they play no one OOC, all their games are at home. Ohio State is decent, but not great. The only real team in the Big-10 is Wisconsin.

Me thinks you will change your mind sometime this coming Saturday.

Michigan with Robinson and Wisconsin with Russell Wilson will torch ou DB's.

Shhhhh...... Honest, realistic comments are not welcome....

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Realism... my favorite topic on this board... every year I get into this one. I love how every year someone claims to have "a firmer grasp on reality" then us inbred uneducated redneck fools. EVERY SINGLE YEAR its the same act.

Here is reality for you:

you are just a fan. nothing more. you don't have anymore insight then anyone else here. we all watch the same games. we don't go to the practices... to the meetings... we aren't in the training room. We don't get to watch the game film. We don't get to watch the opponents game film. As much as we like to think otherwise we don't really know what we are talking about.

I do also find it amusing that the opinions that are backed by "reality" are frequently proven wrong once the games have been played. Time will tell if it applies with this example.

5-6 games this year. Our rush D looks like 2007 and our O is big play or nothing....VERY frustrated......

I will cover any amount you want to bet on this "prediction." Are you a real Husker fan or just another bandwagon hanger on?

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

Why do debbie downers get labeled as non-Nebraska fans? Only Sunshine pumping is allowed?

Good question. An intelligent fan is critical of his/her team when the play on the field warrants concern. That doesn't mean you bash the kids, but saying you're worried about certain things doesn't make you bad fan.

Why don't these "you're not a fan" comments constitute a personal attack? So many other things do, so why not calling someone a non-husker fan or not a real husker fan on a husker fan site count? The idea that critical, possibly not-all-positive analysis makes someone some kind of traitor is a pretty lazy way to to counter criticisms. How is it any different from name calling? Person 1: The D line play was pretty bad. They were getting pushed around by Fresno state who was able to put together a sold running game.

Person 2a: Oh yeah? Well... you're a poop head!

Person 2b: Oh yeah? Well... you're not a real fan!

I'm generally not for bans on non-vulgar, mean personal attacks, but in this context where such a ban exists, I don't see how calling out a person's non-fandom, essentially calling them a traitor, is not a personal attack.

That's all. Argue the points made by critics-- if you can't and/or the points aren't valid, that's one thing. But if they hold an arguable position, argue it. Don't side step the issue with an ad hominem.

yeah I hate those comments almost as much as the reality comments.

This is still a Pelini defense. They're going to improve as the season goes on.

As for 5-6 losses... You obviously didn't see Michigan barely beat an average at best Notre Dame team, or Ohio State escape Toledo, or Iowa lose to Iowa State. At this point, I think we lose to Wisconsin, but we're beyond capable of winning every other game on the schedule.

On the other hand, I saw a couple people say we wouldn't see another QB this year as good as Carr. They obviously haven't heard of Denard Robinson or Russell Wilson.

Michigan is garbage, they play no one OOC, all their games are at home. Ohio State is decent, but not great. The only real team in the Big-10 is Wisconsin.

Me thinks you will change your mind sometime this coming Saturday.

Michigan with Robinson and Wisconsin with Russell Wilson will torch our DB's.

You realize Robinson had three picks last week right? He closed great but it isn't like he didn't have struggles last week.

Plus you have to remember Dennard will be back then, we won't have Blatchford in there, and Stafford will be more up to speed.

Seriously, what an annoying post. I understand being a "realist" but predicting that we will lose 5-6 games after the first 2 games is just stupid. Why don't you wait a couple more games before you start making such farfetched predictions. This is pure pessimism if you ask me. I think you will eat your words. I've been following huskerboard since Bo became coach and every year, no matter what, it is predicted that we will lose a specific game or lose a certain amount of games and every year you're wrong a good amount of the time. Specifically, I remember the 09 oklahoma game, pretty much every single person predicted a loss along with a .500 season and they all were wrong. You're way too emotional about this; do really well one game and were going to win all of them or do not so well another game and were a horrible football team and were going to lose half of our games. Just like this annoying post states. WE will make adjustments and be better game 3 and continue to throughout the season. I'm not saying were going to win them all but I also do not think that there is a game on our schedule that we can't win. Have some faith in our team, coaches and wait til we actually lose a game before you start making such an outlandish prediction.

• Fire 2

We could lose even if we don't turn the ball over. I don't think you can effectively predict a season based on what was seen in the first two games. And you especially can't make a realistic prediction based on comparisons between two teams who have played entirely different opponents. Sure, we're (and by we're I mean Taylor because I think he's the only one who has fumbled the ball) having some problems holding on to the football.

But consider this as a sign of progress:

2010 through Western Kentucky and Idaho (two teams I will argue who combine to be the same as UTC and Fresno):

Western Kentucky: 2 Fumbles Lost

Idaho: 3 Fumbles Lost and 1 Interception

Total: 5 Fumbles Lost and 1 Interception

So far this year through UTC and Fresno State:

UT-Chattanooga: 2 Fumbles Lost

Fresno State: 2 Interceptions

So we've turned the ball over less this year through two games than we have through two games last year. The problem could actually be with forcing the other team to turn the ball over.

• Fire 1

Kind of funny to try to predict the outcome of games by looking at games last week or earlier in the season or what have you. How many times have we seen two teams go into a game, both with prolific offenses and horrid defenses and thinking that it's going to be a major shoot out, only to see a 10-7 game?

Different teams on different days with different motivations in different settings under different conditions.....etc. It's impossible to use the performance of Team A to judge how the squad will perform in games going forward. It's even more impossible to tell what a team will be like in week 10 when you are only in week two.