QB?

bdubb75

Personally I would like to see Carnes see some time. Is he the answer? No. He's unproven. At this point this offense is well past the point of needing a shot in the arm though especially looking at the competition we've played so far. I know I'm in the minority which I'm fine with but me, I'd like to see Carnes gets some snaps. I think he deserves at least somewhat of a chance to see how things are with him behind center.

Carnes took a series or two in the UTC game. He looked awful and netted -6 yards.

There's a reason you're in the minority. Martinez has accounted for something like 75% of our offense so far. You don't bench the guy who is far and away your best player because you want to see what the backup looks like.

Carnes needs to get backup reps because he's the #2. And he has to be ready to go in at any moment.

He did not look awful, he didn't get a chance to run anything. They called the option just about 5 times in a row with him. OK, so I guess he is not a natural option QB. That is not the same thing.

Last year, remember how early Cody Green got into games? That is what I hope to see with Carnes in two weeks. We have had QB injuries derail the offense in each of the past two seasons. If that happens again this year, we don't want to be screwed in the pooch with a Redshirt Freshman that has almost no game experience.

BS. He looked like a totally lost freshman. Of course, you think Z. Lee was great running the option too so by your standards.......ok, he looked great!

Did zoogies ever assert that Lee was good at the Option? I thought zoogies was more a fan of the passing QB, which Lee was by far more than Green or Martinez, which is why he leaned toward Lee.

Well, not directly but he's stated numerous times how "fast" he was. Heh...we just enjoy our cheap shots. :-)

The problem is we have an athlete playing the QB position and over the years, the Huskers have not been able to build any quality depth at the position.

LOL, Iknowright? Having Athletes at the QB position is retarded.

Sincereley,

Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch

Yep...... Gill, Frazier, Crouch & Frost sucked!

Sincerely;

Internet genius

I agree that Taylor is the best qb we have and should be out there all game. It's just frustrating to final get talent like Reed, Bell, Turner, Enunwa, Abdullah, Green, Heard and Cotton and not have anyone who can distribute the ball or is willing to give up some of there own carries in favor of getting other players some touches. I think we'll still win the games I'm just not sure we'll compete for a top five finish until that gets fixed.

ps. Taylor is not the only reason this team seems to have peaked at 10 win seasons instead of thirteen win seasons.

Where in the world does this "Tmart doesn't want to distribute the ball" horsesh*t come from?? He does what is called and simply makes the best decisions he can. Surely you realize that the reason so many of our wrs are WIDE OPEN is because opponent DC's compromise their defense due to Tmart's runs. Does he "ever" get any credit for that? F*** no. Do you think that just "maybe" if our Oline had any kind of push Super Rex & the triplets would see more action? Nahhhhh...."Tmart is a ball hog!"

Look at his passing stats. They're not bad but what if we had wrs who actually cuaght the ball repeatably? Think that might make a difference? Naahhhhh...of course not. His running stats are all-world but so what....."he sucks"!

Our running game getting stuffed like sardines is Tmart's fault. Our wrs dropping balls all over the place (last year too) is Tmart's fault. Our Oline can't run block and our wrs can't catch the ball and what do you hear 10,000 times?...of course........"we need another qb!!".

Wow.....simply....wow.

It's early, but I just can't see Beck calling about 40% of our runs to TM w/ the backs we have. Look at game 1. Martinez 19 rushes. Rex/Heard/Green/Adbullah 20 rushes. Why are those 4 guys combined barely carrying the ball more than TM? Couple of those were scrambles and/or sacks. But 19? How many of the 19 were called passes where he didn't get past his 1st read before running? How many times do we see him check out of a play to himself? Someone needs to go through the games and see how many times - because I'd bet about 80% of his checks are to his own number. Watch on Saturday before you blow up and cuss at me plz. Same w/ Fresno. The first 3 quarters were even more lopsided towards Martinez, with him having something like 14 rushes to Rex/Abdulla's 10. No wonder he has 75% of the production.

I'm in the group that is disapointed at this point w/ our distribution as well. Maybe it's the playcalling (and Martinez certainly has the freedom to adjust that at the line of scrimage so don't just say he runs what is called) - but if anything I'd think the playcalling would swing the OTHER way. Martinez needs to stay healthy because it's obviously he is BY FAR our best QB right now. So why is 75% of our production predicated on him during our scrimmages? Why is this is Abdulla averaging 3 carries a game (all in garbage time), or Rex averaging about 7 in the first 3 quarters?

If I told you our backs were going to have about 7-9 rushes in the first 3 quarters against Washington would you be thrilled? How would you gameplan if you were Washington?

Fresno Breakdown

1st Q

TM - 4 rushes

Everyone else - 3

2nd Q

TM - 6 rushes

Everyone else - 5

3rd Q

TM - 3 rushes

Everyone else - 2

I can't figure out where in the world this "Tmart doesn't want to distribute the ball" horsesh*t comes from either...

I can't say I totally disagree with you because it doesn't seem like Rex and the freshmen are getting many touches, but..... when they get touches it doesn't seem to amount to much. How many runs have they taken to the house? I believe burkhead's one big run was off a martinez pitch. Martinez, so far, seems to be our only homerun threat. Hopefully when defenses shut martinez down, the others step up.

• Fire 1

I can't say I totally disagree with you because it doesn't seem like Rex and the freshmen are getting many touches, but..... when they get touches it doesn't seem to amount to much. How many runs have they taken to the house? I believe burkhead's one big run was off a martinez pitch. Martinez, so far, seems to be our only homerun threat. Hopefully when defenses shut martinez down, the others step up.

True, but how can you get going when you are lucky to touch the ball once a series. And why does it have to be a home run? What's wrong w/ 3-4 yards a carry?

We have only been succesful running when we run option right/left and its up to taylor to determine to pitch or keep, he has done a good job so far. Now when the line doesnt open up holes for our backs up the middle against stacked boxes...we see the long ball. Until we can find a balance to keep the D from stacking the box to stop the run, our backs will have a hard time finding daylight between the tackles.

Also, TM's completions have been spread out evenly to his WRs thus far. Im excited to see the young guys get more comfortable and our use of the tight ends as the season progresses.

True, but how can you get going when you are lucky to touch the ball once a series. And why does it have to be a home run? What's wrong w/ 3-4 yards a carry?

nothing wrong with 3 or 4 yards a carry. chews up TOP and moves the chains. The problem is I havn't seem this team consistantly able to get 3 - 4 yards a carry. Outside one of the last drives against Fresno, it just looks like there is no push and burkhead has to make 2 people miss to get 3 - 4. It seems like the one constant so far is that keeping the ball in Martinez's hands gets you big plays. I'll take big plays over 3 and outs anyday.