QB?

bdubb75

I used to hold my breath when Tommie Frazier threw the ball. I used to hold my breath when Scott Frost threw the ball. I used to hold my breath when Eric Crouch threw the ball. Other than the supporting casts, I don't see a lot of difference between Martinez and the afore mentioned. I think the closest comparison can be to Crouch.

100% correct. I did too.

Lot's of our young posters like to dream up that those three consistently went through all four reads and threw laser-guided passes. lol! Nothing could be further from the truth. "Nothing". The main differences are.....

1. Oline.....a Grand Canyon sized difference. Maybe even bigger.

2. Wrs.....our wrs then weren't great but they usually would actually catch the damn ball.

3. OC.....TO & SW, another Grand Canyon sized difference.

The other tone I notice posted endlessly is that Tmart is blamed for "not spreading the ball around". How many times have we seen our rbs get totally stuffed on 1st or 2nd downs? Tmart's fault? Or our wrs drop balls all over the place. Tmart's fault?

Imo we're just damn lucky to have the kid. The fans can diss him all they want but them doing so just makes me appreciate Bo/Beck even more.

GBR!!

You said it all my friend. People need to take a step back and look at the facts.

He's a sophomore.

He doesn't have a great O-line to protect him and make holes for him to run through.

He doesn't have a great corp of receivers to catch the ball or even get open for him on a consistent basis.

He had Shawn Watson as his OC his first season. (That fact alone was detrimental to his early progression as a QB)

He is learning a whole new offense in his second season under center.

Things fans CAN critisize him for

--His lack of ball security (That's a no brainer. It doesn't take much skill to hold onto the ball)

--His accuracy (Just to emphasize, once it hits the receiver's hands, it's not his fault...granted it would be easier if it were more on target, but the old rule is if you touch it, you catch it.)

--His pocket presence (He needs to know when to tuck it and run, but again, his offensive line is young and inexperienced. Can't put all the blame on him for getting pressure put on him constantly)

I used to hold my breath when Tommie Frazier threw the ball. I used to hold my breath when Scott Frost threw the ball. I used to hold my breath when Eric Crouch threw the ball. Other than the supporting casts, I don't see a lot of difference between Martinez and the afore mentioned. I think the closest comparison can be to Crouch.

100% correct. I did too.

Lot's of our young posters like to dream up that those three consistently went through all four reads and threw laser-guided passes. lol! Nothing could be further from the truth. "Nothing". The main differences are.....

1. Oline.....a Grand Canyon sized difference. Maybe even bigger.

2. Wrs.....our wrs then weren't great but they usually would actually catch the damn ball.

3. OC.....TO & SW, another Grand Canyon sized difference.

The other tone I notice posted endlessly is that Tmart is blamed for "not spreading the ball around". How many times have we seen our rbs get totally stuffed on 1st or 2nd downs? Tmart's fault? Or our wrs drop balls all over the place. Tmart's fault?

Imo we're just damn lucky to have the kid. The fans can diss him all they want but them doing so just makes me appreciate Bo/Beck even more.

GBR!!

You said it all my friend. People need to take a step back and look at the facts.

He's a sophomore.

He doesn't have a great O-line to protect him and make holes for him to run through.

He doesn't have a great corp of receivers to catch the ball or even get open for him on a consistent basis.

He had Shawn Watson as his OC his first season. (That fact alone was detrimental to his early progression as a QB)

He is learning a whole new offense in his second season under center.

--His lack of ball security (That's a no brainer. It doesn't take much skill to hold onto the ball)

--His accuracy (Just to emphasize, once it hits the receiver's hands, it's not his fault...granted it would be easier if it were more on target, but the old rule is if you touch it, you catch it.)

--His pocket presence (He needs to know when to tuck it and run, but again, his offensive line is young and inexperienced. Can't put all the blame on him for getting pressure put on him constantly)

Ha! No they can't... If anyone tries to criticize Martinez for those things, they'll get blasted with the excuses, aforementioned.

People were pretty critical of him after the bowl game last year... I think there was a consensus that he needed to make major improvements in his quarterbacking skills during the off-season. Have we seen those kinds of improvements?

• Fire 2

All extremely important for a QB. The problem is we have an athlete playing the QB position and over the years, the Huskers have not been able to build any quality depth at the position.

He locks onto receivers, throws into coverage, not accurate (yes, receivers do drop balls, but I have also seen so many instances where he has thrown at their feet, behind them, above them, etc.), and doesn't have very good pocket presence. These things may get better over time (I have my doubts), but the problem with that is we have Wisconsin and Ohio St coming up in a few weeks. If the Huskers play like they have the last two games against Wisconsin, we are going to get a absolutely embarrassed.

I see an eight win season at best this year, but hopefully I am wrong.

Personally I would like to see Carnes see some time. Is he the answer? No. He's unproven. At this point this offense is well past the point of needing a shot in the arm though especially looking at the competition we've played so far. I know I'm in the minority which I'm fine with but me, I'd like to see Carnes gets some snaps. I think he deserves at least somewhat of a chance to see how things are with him behind center.

Personally I would like to see Carnes see some time. Is he the answer? No. He's unproven. At this point this offense is well past the point of needing a shot in the arm though especially looking at the competition we've played so far. I know I'm in the minority which I'm fine with but me, I'd like to see Carnes gets some snaps. I think he deserves at least somewhat of a chance to see how things are with him behind center.

Carnes took a series or two in the UTC game. He looked awful and netted -6 yards.

There's a reason you're in the minority. Martinez has accounted for something like 75% of our offense so far. You don't bench the guy who is far and away your best player because you want to see what the backup looks like.

• Fire 2

I would love to see Carnes get more time just to see what he can do when the lights are on. Surely his throwing couldn't be any worse than Martinez and I would hope his ball security is much better. Obviously this isn't going to fix our offense since he is highly inexperienced, but I think more of our backups need reps. It's only a matter of time before Martinez is injured.