QB?

bdubb75

Also, TM's completions have been spread out evenly to his WRs thus far. Im excited to see the young guys get more comfortable and our use of the tight ends as the season progresses.

This is true. It's more the RBs I was hoping to see more. We still will I'm sure. I was just fully expecting Rex +3 to get a minimum of 30-40 carries a game. Just seemed like too much speed there. Doesn't mean they need to run up the gut. I actually expected to see the running around the end more - or catching a few more balls out of the backfield like Lucky used to.

There definitely needs to be some more called runs, but we have not been run blocking worth crap, except for the last drive against Fresno. However, all 3 of Taylor's long TD runs were because the D took the pitch man, and he coasted to the endzone. You can't fault him for that.

No, certainly good decisions there. They'll be taking that away from here on out. They'll make T-Mart prove he can make that pitch.

Also, TM's completions have been spread out evenly to his WRs thus far. Im excited to see the young guys get more comfortable and our use of the tight ends as the season progresses.

This is true. It's more the RBs I was hoping to see more. We still will I'm sure. I was just fully expecting Rex +3 to get a minimum of 30-40 carries a game. Just seemed like too much speed there. Doesn't mean they need to run up the gut. I actually expected to see the running around the end more - or catching a few more balls out of the backfield like Lucky used to.

Would definitely like to see this. Hell, that rare thing called a screen would be nice. Haven't seen on of those in 3+ years.

I agree that Taylor is the best qb we have and should be out there all game. It's just frustrating to final get talent like Reed, Bell, Turner, Enunwa, Abdullah, Green, Heard and Cotton and not have anyone who can distribute the ball or is willing to give up some of there own carries in favor of getting other players some touches. I think we'll still win the games I'm just not sure we'll compete for a top five finish until that gets fixed.

ps. Taylor is not the only reason this team seems to have peaked at 10 win seasons instead of thirteen win seasons.

Where in the world does this "Tmart doesn't want to distribute the ball" horsesh*t come from?? He does what is called and simply makes the best decisions he can. Surely you realize that the reason so many of our wrs are WIDE OPEN is because opponent DC's compromise their defense due to Tmart's runs. Does he "ever" get any credit for that? F*** no. Do you think that just "maybe" if our Oline had any kind of push Super Rex & the triplets would see more action? Nahhhhh...."Tmart is a ball hog!"

Look at his passing stats. They're not bad but what if we had wrs who actually cuaght the ball repeatably? Think that might make a difference? Naahhhhh...of course not. His running stats are all-world but so what....."he sucks"!

Our running game getting stuffed like sardines is Tmart's fault. Our wrs dropping balls all over the place (last year too) is Tmart's fault. Our Oline can't run block and our wrs can't catch the ball and what do you hear 10,000 times?...of course........"we need another qb!!".

Wow.....simply....wow.

It's early, but I just can't see Beck calling about 40% of our runs to TM w/ the backs we have. Look at game 1. Martinez 19 rushes. Rex/Heard/Green/Adbullah 20 rushes. Why are those 4 guys combined barely carrying the ball more than TM? Couple of those were scrambles and/or sacks. But 19? How many of the 19 were called passes where he didn't get past his 1st read before running? How many times do we see him check out of a play to himself? Someone needs to go through the games and see how many times - because I'd bet about 80% of his checks are to his own number. Watch on Saturday before you blow up and cuss at me plz. Same w/ Fresno. The first 3 quarters were even more lopsided towards Martinez, with him having something like 14 rushes to Rex/Abdulla's 10. No wonder he has 75% of the production.

I'm in the group that is disapointed at this point w/ our distribution as well. Maybe it's the playcalling - but if anything I'd think the playcalling would swing the OTHER way. Martinez needs to stay healthy because it's obviously he is BY FAR our best QB right now. So why is 75% of our production predicated on him during our scrimmages? Why is this is Abdulla averaging 3 carries a game (all in garbage time), or Rex averaging about 7 in the first 3 quarters?

If I told you our backs were going to have about 7-9 rushes in the first 3 quarters against Washington would you be thrilled? How would you gameplan if you were Washington?

No worries as your avatars are too good to cuss at you.

I think the reason we're not using our rbs more is because our OLine's run blocking is....well......not so good (and I'm a Barney apologist). How many times do we see SuperRex on 1st down get stuffed for one yd or no gain? Sadly....a lot. 2nd down too. Throw in all our wr drops or bad passes and it's easy to see why we're constantly at 3rd & long.

As we both know just a small crease & Tmart is GONE. I bet Beck would LOVE to be able to distribute the ball to our rbs but until our Oline can actually block somebody....well......I'd go with the home run hitter too. Zero or one yd runs don't get you very far, right?

Da Skers & others who re-watched the Bulldog game say they see Tmart making reads most of the time. I re-watched it too and to my non-professional eyes it looks like he's making one or two reads most of the time.

Totally disagree about the "75%" production. Anyway you look at it Tmart is far, far most productive than our rbs have been (total yds, YPC, Tds, etc). It's not even close. Again, it's not that our rbs aren't good or great but when a Dlinemen, LB & safety all hit you at the LOS it ain't easy to rack up yds. Tmart just has that insane acceleration that opponent Dlineman, safeties & lbs simply can't hack.

You'll hate me for saying this but without a healthy Tmart we lose to the Bulldogs by a country mile and quite possibly even TC. Bo/Beck have to win first & foremost, right? That's why he has the ball so much.

If I was Washington I would do like everybody else does.....stack the box to stop Tmart's runs the best we can. I really, really doubt anybody is overly terrified of our stone handed wrs (last year too). Especially when combined with Tmart's marginal passing skills.

The upside is that the Oline can only get better and that Turner, Bell, etc will get on the field & guys who drop the passes won't. We're going to start killing opponents who stack the box with our bombs & PA has to come out soon. Tmart can hit those WIDE OPEN guys enough until it hurts them. When that happens & our Oline comes around even a little bit, you'll see others get the ball more.

Hang tough compadre'.....

GBR!!

I was unaware Taylor Martinez was calling the plays now too.

Martinez is aware so that's alright

It's pretty much based on what I want to run, what type of play I want to run against the defense. Pretty much every decision is based on me.

Are you really going to grasp at these straws? Take a deep breath, maybe drink a beer, take a nap, think it through. Then get back to me.

I'll get torched for this, but what the heck it's my opinion and how I feel so I'll put my thoughts out there anyway.

Does no one see the similarities so far this year to how last year started. My goodness, he was being mentioned in Heisman talk midway into the season, until we ran into high caliber Big X11 defenses with superior athletes. I know he was injured, but he was completely ineffective, and even injured wasn't going to continue with the eye-popping numbers. And yes, I really do know much of that was Watson

Yes, his stats look really inpressive, but c'mon, does anyone really think those back footed lobs are going to continue to work when we start playing the big boys with real defenses? We're basing an awfull lot off a throw that Turner adjusted well to and made the catch, and another throw to a wide-open receiver in the corner of the endzone, every QB in the country could have made that throw. The shorter, quicker throws are still more often than not off the mark, usually behind the receiver and not catchable.

I realize he's most likely our best option. But for those who state that he is our best QB, no questions asked, how do we know for sure? We haven't even seen Carnes get any meaningful time, and he had option called on I believe five of his six snaps. How can we really know what he might be able to do.

I know Martinez is homerun hitter and many of our problems stem from other areas (namely that OL). But I can't believe the amount of people who are completely sold on him as being our answer. If anyone asks a reasonable question that does question him, they get shouted down quickly (I'm expecting mine soon).

Yes he's a sophmore, but after two games, does anyone think he has shown improvement over last year? His strenghs are still the same (he's fast and a threat to go all the way) as are his weaknesses (no pocket presence, poor accuracy, horrible ball security). At this point, I think he has a long way to go to being mentioned in the same group as our other QB's (Frost, Frazier, Crouch), and our team around Crouch wasn't anytning to right home about either. I'm just concerned that this year looks an awful lot like last year.

Just my thoughts on him. I hope I'm proven completely wrong, and what they worked on in the offseason starts to show itself soon. But at this point, this season looks to me an awfull lot like last year, and nobody liked how that ended.

• Fire 1

I'll get torched for this, but what the heck it's my opinion and how I feel so I'll put my thoughts out there anyway.

Does no one see the similarities so far this year to how last year started. My goodness, he was being mentioned in Heisman talk midway into the season, until we ran into high caliber Big X11 defenses with superior athletes. I know he was injured, but he was completely ineffective, and even injured wasn't going to continue with the eye-popping numbers. And yes, I really do know much of that was Watson

Yes, his stats look really inpressive, but c'mon, does anyone really think those back footed lobs are going to continue to work when we start playing the big boys with real defenses? We're basing an awfull lot off a throw that Turner adjusted well to and made the catch, and another throw to a wide-open receiver in the corner of the endzone, every QB in the country could have made that throw. The shorter, quicker throws are still more often than not off the mark, usually behind the receiver and not catchable.

I realize he's most likely our best option. But for those who state that he is our best QB, no questions asked, how do we know for sure? We haven't even seen Carnes get any meaningful time, and he had option called on I believe five of his six snaps. How can we really know what he might be able to do.

I know Martinez is homerun hitter and many of our problems stem from other areas (namely that OL). But I can't believe the amount of people who are completely sold on him as being our answer. If anyone asks a reasonable question that does question him, they get shouted down quickly (I'm expecting mine soon).

Yes he's a sophmore, but after two games, does anyone think he has shown improvement over last year? His strenghs are still the same (he's fast and a threat to go all the way) as are his weaknesses (no pocket presence, poor accuracy, horrible ball security). At this point, I think he has a long way to go to being mentioned in the same group as our other QB's (Frost, Frazier, Crouch), and our team around Crouch wasn't anytning to right home about either. I'm just concerned that this year looks an awful lot like last year.

Just my thoughts on him. I hope I'm proven completely wrong, and what they worked on in the offseason starts to show itself soon. But at this point, this season looks to me an awfull lot like last year, and nobody liked how that ended.

Tmart's two game this year....

rushing, 34 runs, 301 yds, 8.9 ypc, 5 TDS

passing, 21/43, 335 yds, I TD, 2 Int (one was the hail Mary)

You're gonna to bench that?

That's why I even hesitated to post. I knew someone would fire right back with the stats. Yes, the stats look great, but let me ask you a question. Do you believe those numbers are going to be sustained against the better quality opponents? Do you really believe we're going to get away with the throw it up deep and hope philosophy all through the season?

Did I say anywhere "I want to bench him"? I'm saying I'm concerned about his progress from last year on areas that are obvious weeknesses, that don't appear to anywhere near being fixed. I have no real idea if we have anyone else who can play the position, but how are we ever going to know? I'll tell you what, lets give the heisman out after two, or three, or even four games, then he'll have two and we'll all be happy. It's similar to the guy who hits .400 in spring training. I just don't want this season to end on a dissapointing note like last year.

I'll tell you what, show me the difference, or more importantly, the improvement from last year to this, something reasonable to pin my hopes and expectations on (in this area) and I'll gladly throw in with you and the majority.

Because he didn't show enough in camp to convince the coaches he gave the team the best chance to win. Bo has shown he will play the guy who gives us the best chance. If he shows them he can do more than Martinez, by all means, get his ass on the field. Until then it's really, really, really, really, really, really, really dumb to bench our best player on offense.

That's why I even hesitated to post. I knew someone would fire right back with the stats. Yes, the stats look great, but let me ask you a question. Do you believe those numbers are going to be sustained against the better quality opponents? Do you really believe we're going to get away with the throw it up deep and hope philosophy all through the season?

Did I say anywhere "I want to bench him"? I'm saying I'm concerned about his progress from last year on areas that are obvious weeknesses, that don't appear to anywhere near being fixed. I have no real idea if we have anyone else who can play the position, but how are we ever going to know? I'll tell you what, lets give the heisman out after two, or three, or even four games, then he'll have two and we'll all be happy. It's similar to the guy who hits .400 in spring training. I just don't want this season to end on a dissapointing note like last year.

I'll tell you what, show me the difference, or more importantly, the improvement from last year to this, something reasonable to pin my hopes and expectations on (in this area) and I'll gladly throw in with you and the majority.

If you don't want people to respond, why even post? =/

Also, most of your post here is based on the notion we've seen everything the offense is going to do. We just don't know that yet.

Last week at this time, I completly agreed with you. But the question I asked Tmart defenders was "can you see him bring us from behind in the 4th quarter?" and mostly the answer was "No". Well I somewhat changed by mind after the 2nd half. Yes, he had help, but it is a team sport after all.

I just wish we could have Fresno States play calling and offensive execution.

If you don't want people to respond, why even post? =/Also, most of your post here is based on the notion we've seen everything the offense is going to do. We just don't know that yet.

Because I'm looking for more than his stats, which I knew is what I would get back. I want to see signs of improvement from him over last year. Stats tell only part of the story, we all know that. Rather than just come back at me with his numbers, tell me why this year is going to be different from last year. What's changed.

And saying Bo is going to put the guy out there that gives us the best chance to win....I know that's true, but really, last year at times he shouldn't have even been out there and Bo wouldn't make a change. I just want reason to believe that this year will be different, and after two games, a lot of things look just the same.

Last week at this time, I completly agreed with you. But the question I asked Tmart defenders was "can you see him bring us from behind in the 4th quarter?" and mostly the answer was "No". Well I somewhat changed by mind after the 2nd half. Yes, he had help, but it is a team sport after all.I just wish we could have Fresno States play calling and offensive execution.

That is a very, very true statement. What I wouldn't give for Swift or Peterson at WR.

If you don't want people to respond, why even post? =/Also, most of your post here is based on the notion we've seen everything the offense is going to do. We just don't know that yet.

Because I'm looking for more than his stats, which I knew is what I would get back. I want to see signs of improvement from him over last year. Stats tell only part of the story, we all know that. Rather than just come back at me with his numbers, tell me why this year is going to be different from last year. What's changed.

And saying Bo is going to put the guy out there that gives us the best chance to win....I know that's true, but really, last year at times he shouldn't have even been out there and Bo wouldn't make a change. I just want reason to believe that this year will be different, and after two games, a lot of things look just the same.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm skeptical that Beck has unleashed the entire playbook. Too me, it seems pretty obvious that he's a better passer than he was at this time last year. He only got better as the year went on, until the injuries. And I agree he shouldn't have been out there either. That has a lot more to do with Bo than it does Taylor.