QB?

bdubb75

i have faith in martinez, but i understand the frustration when you see who wiscy got and how inferior teams get great qb's. i mean, how does ttu get so many? or okla. st. or baylor. you see so many unimpressive schools with great qb's and we are able to put together championship defenses with no offensive leadership. i'm mostly ranting and think things will get better with all of the young talent and the new coaching staff, because i think our offensive problems are cause by the staff.

anyway, martinez is just fine. extremely talented with even more potential.

now the o-line...

I don't think anyone would disagree with the notion of getting our backups reps. That's just wise. But Carnes isn't going to supplant Martinez anytime soon, and he knows it. He's learning, putting on weight, getting ready, and he'll be fine when his time comes. That time just isn't now.

Oh, I know. As much as I dislike it Martinez is and will be THE QB this year. But I just know Martinez will get injured if he keeps tucking and running it as much as he does.

And I am simply stating that I would like Carnes to get some action because Martinez will get injured in some way this year because of how many times he tucks it and runs.

There really isn't a viable option beyond Martinez right now. And I'm definitely not a TM fan anymore unless he starts showing improvement in at least some areas, but even I'm willing to admit there is no other option if we want to win games. And there isn't going to be one for at least the rest of this season, so beyond the obvious thing about not hoping anyone gets injured, we'd better hope he stays healthy. That's just the way it is.

Personally I would like to see Carnes see some time. Is he the answer? No. He's unproven. At this point this offense is well past the point of needing a shot in the arm though especially looking at the competition we've played so far. I know I'm in the minority which I'm fine with but me, I'd like to see Carnes gets some snaps. I think he deserves at least somewhat of a chance to see how things are with him behind center.

Carnes took a series or two in the UTC game. He looked awful and netted -6 yards.

There's a reason you're in the minority. Martinez has accounted for something like 75% of our offense so far. You don't bench the guy who is far and away your best player because you want to see what the backup looks like.

Carnes needs to get backup reps because he's the #2. And he has to be ready to go in at any moment.

He did not look awful, he didn't get a chance to run anything. They called the option just about 5 times in a row with him. OK, so I guess he is not a natural option QB. That is not the same thing.

Last year, remember how early Cody Green got into games? That is what I hope to see with Carnes in two weeks. We have had QB injuries derail the offense in each of the past two seasons. If that happens again this year, we don't want to be screwed in the pooch with a Redshirt Freshman that has almost no game experience.

• Fire 1

I agree that Taylor is the best qb we have and should be out there all game. It's just frustrating to final get talent like Reed, Bell, Turner, Enunwa, Abdullah, Green, Heard and Cotton and not have anyone who can distribute the ball or is willing to give up some of there own carries in favor of getting other players some touches. I think we'll still win the games I'm just not sure we'll compete for a top five finish until that gets fixed.

ps. Taylor is not the only reason this team seems to have peaked at 10 win seasons instead of thirteen win seasons.

For those of you that want to see Carnes you just need to be patient. Those long runs when they aren't really needed are fun to watch. Wide open receivers slowing down against WAC DB's so that can catch the ball works now. Carnes will come in the next few games with Martinez is completely ineffective. The Huskers will be down by 14+ and the opposing defense will be bringing the house against the inexperienced QB. Carnes will really have little chance of being effective and it will once again show that the cupboard may be bare.

Sincerely,

Cody Green - Tulsa

• Fire 1

I agree that Taylor is the best qb we have and should be out there all game. It's just frustrating to final get talent like Reed, Bell, Turner, Enunwa, Abdullah, Green, Heard and Cotton and not have anyone who can distribute the ball or is willing to give up some of there own carries in favor of getting other players some touches. I think we'll still win the games I'm just not sure we'll compete for a top five finish until that gets fixed.

ps. Taylor is not the only reason this team seems to have peaked at 10 win seasons instead of thirteen win seasons.

So leading the team with a 150 YPG and 8.9 YPC average you would suggest TM is being a ballhog?

I hope you were drinking when you wrote that

Where in the world does this "Tmart doesn't want to distribute the ball" horsesh*t come from?? He does what is called and simply makes the best decisions he can. Surely you realize that the reason so many of our wrs are WIDE OPEN is because opponent DC's compromise their defense due to Tmart's runs. Does he "ever" get any credit for that? F*** no. Do you think that just "maybe" if our Oline had any kind of push Super Rex & the triplets would see more action? Nahhhhh...."Tmart is a ball hog!"

Look at his passing stats. They're not bad but what if we had wrs who actually cuaght the ball repeatably? Think that might make a difference? Naahhhhh...of course not. His running stats are all-world but so what....."he sucks"!

Our running game getting stuffed like sardines is Tmart's fault. Our wrs dropping balls all over the place (last year too) is Tmart's fault. Our Oline can't run block and our wrs can't catch the ball and what do you hear 10,000 times?...of course........"we need another qb!!".

Wow.....simply....wow.

I would just like to feel like he's more in control. He seems to put the ball on the ground...a lot and he's always seemingly throwing off his back foot straight up in the air. He's obviously a hybrid type player because he isn't a true QB or true RB but he's playing QB so he needs to develop like one. I worry that the bigger/faster/stronger teams will manhandle the OL so much that we'll have to pass to get anything going and throwing it up, might not be the best answer.

I would just like to feel like he's more in control. He seems to put the ball on the ground...a lot and he's always seemingly throwing off his back foot straight up in the air. He's obviously a hybrid type player because he isn't a true QB or true RB but he's playing QB so he needs to develop like one. I worry that the bigger/faster/stronger teams will manhandle the OL so much that we'll have to pass to get anything going and throwing it up, might not be the best answer.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but isn't the part I put in bold an O Line problem, not a QB problem? And wouldn't we have that same problem even if we had Peyton Manning back there? Manning isn't Manning without that freakish O Line they have in Indy. Get us a solid, consistent O Line and some of Martinez' problems go away. The back-foot throwing style and decision-making are entirely on him, though.

I'm not disagreeing with the OL being a huge part but against Fresno State, he threw up a few prayers and luckily, they were answered. Against better teams, that kind of thing will not result in good things (typically). I guess I was hoping our O would be a solid moving force this season and so far, it seems like we are all over the place with feast or famine plays. I def. think T-Mart is the best QB we have and he's great when he's great but when he's throwing up hopes and prayers, it's scary.

If bigger/faster/stronger teams manhandle our OL so much, do you really think it will matter what type of QB we have back there?