Secondary Problems

SECHusker

He hasn't played much in the secondary this year, your eyes aren't fooling you. But I think he gets the nod Saturday. If so I hope he makes a big impact and boosts this d with Dennard. Maybe then stafford, cooper, or osborne can get things together and be stingy back there for the remainder of the season.

Mitchell is staying home this week according to his twitter.

But on the upside, Blatchford should see the field a lot. :sarcasm

:lol:

I for one was pretty impressed with Osborne last year, more so than PJ Smith who I was really high on initially but seemed to be a bit of a disappointment as we entered the Missouri game. I thought the safety play improved dramatically with the inclusion of Courtney into the lineup.

Stafford is a player, and he's going to be out of position a little being a first year starter, first year player in the system. I'm willing to live with that, but it puts more of a burden on the corner to his side of the field and his fellow safety. Cassidy...I dunno. By the end of '09 I thought O'Hanlon was really clicking on all cylinders but we all remember the blown coverage that shall not be named. Cassidy, as we all know, has had a few of those this year too.

I guess, ideally, I'd like to see Stafford and Osborne out there, but I think that Courtney hasn't really worked that safety spot. I don't have enough knowledge on the defense to know whether those safety spots are interchangeable enough to see Osborne/Smith and Stafford on the field at the same time. Anybody have a deeper understanding on this than I? Is that even feasible, or is there only one spot on the field for those three? And if that's the case, who is behind Cassidy at his safety slot? Cooper, maybe?

I referenced O'Hanlon because I don't want to throw in the towel on Cassidy just yet. By the end of '09 he had put together a pretty solid season with his 3 picks against OU, and he was really solid in run support at the end there, a sturdy, steady tackler. Maybe Cassidy can get to that point...but I'm kind of itchy to see what else we have in the cupboard, honestly.

Yeah, I guess I assumed that. Thenarse and Eric Martin seem to be good recent examples of guys on the flip side of that coin. Those guys both made their mark in special teams though, and there is value in that too.

I guess in the balance of athleticism and knowledge of the system, understanding responsibilities takes precedence over athletic ability. Which does make sense. You can be the fastest guy in the world, but if you're fifteen yards out of position it won't make any difference.

Quotes like this worry me a bit.

"Believe me, I'm not happy with giving up 38 points (against Washington)," Pelini said. "I just didn't like how we finished. Our guys on defense were not real happy with our performance. I don't need to say much about that."

The main culprit on defense appears to be a trust issue.

"Confidence in the scheme and trusting techniques, in a high-pressure environment, it is easy to revert back and not trust," Pelini said. "It is why they put 'coach' in front of our names. You stick with it, you don't panic. You don't chuck what you do because you know what you're doing works.