Secondary Problems

SECHusker

How would that be a solution? How would moving a WR to another position where he knows none of the techniques or the defensive scheme solve anything?

I don't know. . probably has nothing to do with the fact he was a very good safety.

I sort of assumed he played the position either in HS or JUCO ball when I heard he was moving, but what are the odds of him making an immediate impact?

Well....

Lets look at it from a footwork and knowledge standpoint.

Is playing corner really any different from playing receiver? Nopee. Same footwork, same field sense, same everything. Why do ya think that almost all high school receivers also play cornerback? The only difference is they can't get away with that in college because they'd end up running 20 miles in a game.

Only difference is instead of running past the guy, you don't let the guy run past you. Everything else stays about the same. Plus, his knowledge as a receiver is without a doubt going to help him transition to cornerback or safety. He knows the way a wide receiver thinks.

Prince Amukamara played wide receiver and running back in high school. Was recruited to come here as an athlete too, if I recall correctly, so seems there was a chance of him playing on the offensive side of the football. He seemed to do okay.

Well....I was at Amateur Strip Night last Wednesday and I can vouch

that not one member of the coaching staff was there!!!!!!

As far as Board Mods, I have no comment either as attendees or contestants.....

Oh holy hell, who's doing Amateur Strip in Lincoln? The Grove again?

That was one of the best nights back in the Grove when I was going to school. Plus, it was rather serendipitous when I ran into a female co-worker by accident who was competing...

I liked Bo's presser on Monday explaining the similarities between the new guys on the field now and how Prince, Hagg, and all those other guys went through some struggles of their own when Bo got here but it clicked from them after experience and coaching. I like how emphasizes that the scheme hasn't changed, the technique hasn't changed, it just needs to be reinforced with experience and getting the guys to trust in their technique.

Well....

Is playing corner really any different from playing receiver? Nopee. Same footwork, same field sense, same everything. Why do ya think that almost all high school receivers also play cornerback? The only difference is they can't get away with that in college because they'd end up running 20 miles in a game.

Only difference is instead of running past the guy, you don't let the guy run past you. Everything else stays about the same. Plus, his knowledge as a receiver is without a doubt going to help him transition to cornerback or safety. He knows the way a wide receiver thinks.

Prince Amukamara played wide receiver and running back in high school. Was recruited to come here as an athlete too, if I recall correctly, so seems there was a chance of him playing on the offensive side of the football. He seemed to do okay.

I've never noticed a wide reciever backpedalling before.

I don't think I've seen a emphasis on hip rotation in practice either.

Likewise, the footwork is very different - and while hands are vital for a reciever footwork is more important to a CB.

Outside of Enunwa I don't know if I've seen a WR make a tackle this year. That's kind of important for a DB.

WR's play the ball - while DBs need to turn and find the ball...90% of the time DB's generally play the man - especially in Pelini's backfield. That might make a difference in his success.

WR's force a CB to react - they are never the ones making the split-section reaction like a CB is. You have to be able to react quickly, not just run a route and look for the ball.

Hands are different for a CB. Think Suh - he shed blockers with his hands. Jamming a reciever is about hands - and that's how you distrupt a route. Hands doesn't mean ability to catch a ball, and it doesn't translate either.

the things that do translate are knowledge of your opponent (the WR), vertical/jumping ability, and hand-eye cordination. But the 2 positions are FAR FAR different.

Well....

I've never noticed a wide reciever backpedalling before.

I don't think I've seen a emphasis on hip rotation in practice either.

Likewise, the footwork is very different - and while hands are vital for a reciever footwork is more important to a CB.

Outside of Enunwa I don't know if I've seen a WR make a tackle this year. That's kind of important for a DB.

WR's play the ball - while DBs need to turn and find the ball...90% of the time DB's generally play the man - especially in Pelini's backfield. That might make a difference in his success.

WR's force a CB to react - they are never the ones making the split-section reaction like a CB is. You have to be able to react quickly, not just run a route and look for the ball.

Hands are different for a CB. Think Suh - he shed blockers with his hands. Jamming a reciever is about hands - and that's how you distrupt a route. Hands doesn't mean ability to catch a ball, and it doesn't translate either.

the things that do translate are knowledge of your opponent (the WR), vertical/jumping ability, and hand-eye cordination. But the 2 positions are FAR FAR different.

Disagree entirely. How often do you see our corner's backpeddling?

Maybe this year, I will concede that... But in the past, we have always been a jam, turn, and run team in regards to coverage. I think we will go back to that eventually (by wisconsin).

As for hips turning, ever run an 8 yard hitch? The breaking down to make the turn isn't relevant, but the rotation of the hips is certainly similar. At the division 1 level, I would expect most athletes to be able to turn their hips effectively regardless of the amount of practice.

I guess we will see with Sean. I think it would be easy to pick up, but the hardest part here will be the scheme. Pelini defenses are notoriously complicated. I think that will be the hardest part in regards to transition.

Balance and loose hips are probably the two biggest things to be a successful corner. Staying balanced on top to hips can easy help one backpedal with a WR as well break on the player/route so much faster.

As foor success for Stanley Jean Baptise(he will be a safety), I haven't the foggiest who this Sean is, who knows. learning the system wipes out this year more or less. And we have seen this played out before. Antonio Bell(I know a corner, but this is for the WR to DB debate) was a name we have heard as someone that would probably contribute this year and even was mentioned at the end of last year, anyone seen him???? Anyone???? Bueller????

the thing that surprises me about the secondary is the safeties. I expected atleast one of osborne, pj or cooper to be starting.... bigwillie has already said that courtneys attitude is not where it needs to be(is that the case with his brother as well?) but what is the story on the other 2?

I think we see a change Saturday night. I don't know what the deal with the osbornes are but I think Stafford shows promise but has been out of position a few times. I think p.j. gets his shot to shine playing alongside cassidy. But I hope someone else will step up and take his job soon. Cassisy is smart but sometimes doesn't have the speed to get where he needs to be on the field.

the thing that surprises me about the secondary is the safeties. I expected atleast one of osborne, pj or cooper to be starting.... bigwillie has already said that courtneys attitude is not where it needs to be(is that the case with his brother as well?) but what is the story on the other 2?

I think we see a change Saturday night. I don't know what the deal with the osbornes are but I think Stafford shows promise but has been out of position a few times. I think p.j. gets his shot to shine playing alongside cassidy. But I hope someone else will step up and take his job soon. Cassisy is smart but sometimes doesn't have the speed to get where he needs to be on the field.

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention when he is on the field, but it doesn't seem like I have seen PJ see the field much. I was pretty high on him last year, but I thought he was off by about one year or so. I think this year he could really shine. We haven't really had many athletic safeties and it would be nice to see him out there (I suppose Gomes was technically a safety though).

No matter who is out there, I am hoping the defensive coaches can get the secondary - along with the rest of the defense - fixed quickly. Otherwise, this is going to be a very long year.