Secondary Problems

SECHusker

I'm sure he was just scouting the "tight ends".

There are so many inappropriate references we could make here. Wide Receivers. Full Backs. Tight Ends. Lots of euphemistic references available.

I figured he would be scouting the DBs hitting the tight ends or jamming the wide receivers.

Call me old school, but I do find it inappropriate for a coach to be at a strip club the night before the game. Coaches are supposed to be setting the example for players. Would all of you guys be ok with our players being at a strip club until 2am the night before a game? Considering it's been referenced back to TO, there was a lot of talk back in our 7 bowl game losing streak where TO took a lot of heat for allowing too much partying before the game.

I do not agree with this at all. He played a great game. Where was Baker Steinkuhler? On the bench for Moore most of the second half. Chase Rome backed up Moore later on. Steinkuhler is not playing well at all. Crick had a few great plays, was doubled nearly every play, held continually, and generally dominated the third quarter. The DE, whoever it is at the time, opposite of Meredith has been blown off the ball all season as well. Ankrah, Williams, Carter, all getting smashed.

Not sure if serious.

Crick was whipped all game, just as he has been this year. I said it a week ago that Crick has constantly been washed out of plays and his motor just hasn't been there all year. Today was no different. Very bad game from him.

Knee.

Call me old school, but I do find it inappropriate for a coach to be at a strip club the night before the game. Coaches are supposed to be setting the example for players. Would all of you guys be ok with our players being at a strip club until 2am the night before a game? Considering it's been referenced back to TO, there was a lot of talk back in our 7 bowl game losing streak where TO took a lot of heat for allowing too much partying before the game.

First off. . it was Wednesday night and secondly. . . He wasn't there.

It is relevant when the secondary is performing at this level

No, it's not relevant. How many coaches are studying film of their next opponent at 2 a.m. on a Thursday night? Not many. Furthermore, once he leaves work, he's allowed to have free time and a life just like the rest of humanity.

This was the first time i saw flashes of good plays from the secondary. I am not saying they did a good job, because they didn't but there was a few times that a ball was batted away or the cornerback was physical with the receiver which was lacking in the previous two games. It shows me that the technique is being taught, its just not being applied to the game by the players. That will come with more practice and game time experience.

I have to agree with Irafreak, that we have had the luxury of a very good secondary for two years and when we fall into a reloading year without a star corner, we go into meltdown mode because the new guys aren't anything like Prince Amukamara, Dejon Gomes, Eric Hagg, Alfonzo Dennard, Rickey Thenarse, Matt O'Hanlon, Larry Asante and such.

It may not be this year, but our secondary has the potential to be good, just give it time.

You had me until Thenarse...He was never a good safety for us. Remember the first 2 years of Asante?

I'm fairly certain Marvin would be facing similar problems. Many people stated when he left it didn't matter who would be coaching the DB's this year (including Marvin) we should expect a big drop off.

Agreed, we are so young and inexperienced in the secondary that a drop off was going to happen no matter what. I do like how Bo has not simplified any schemes for the youngsters, so they can grow into it.

How would that be a solution? How would moving a WR to another position where he knows none of the techniques or the defensive scheme solve anything?

I don't know. . probably has nothing to do with the fact he was a very good safety.

I sort of assumed he played the position either in HS or JUCO ball when I heard he was moving, but what are the odds of him making an immediate impact?

How would that be a solution? How would moving a WR to another position where he knows none of the techniques or the defensive scheme solve anything?

I don't know. . probably has nothing to do with the fact he was a very good safety.

I sort of assumed he played the position either in HS or JUCO ball when I heard he was moving, but what are the odds of him making an immediate impact?

Probably not a lot. But he does have lots of football speed which has been part of our problem because we cant adjust if we screw up trying to jam a guy or bite on a fake. He's also stronger than most of our DB's so the potential for him to be a physical presence is there. I have no clue at this point if he offered to switch if the coaches asked or if its even a smart idea. I'm sure time will tell. We've been about 50/50 on these changes and with the exception of Glenn all of the success has been on the other side of the ball and mostly on the line.