Secondary Problems

SECHusker

I haven't really paid attention to the personnel we have - hard to without the radio coverage for me - but have PJ Smith and Courtney Osborne been in at all?

Do not expect to see Osborne for a while until his attitude gets better.

Green just gets tossed around by WRs. Buck up and get physical. If they're putting their hands on you, respond with physicality. He literally gets thrown to the ground by WRs. Its pathetic.

You know what is weird - the best thing about Green in practices was how physical he has been with our WRs. Green would jam our WRs and they all struggled getting off the line against the guy, and it's a BIG reason why Green was given the chance he has been. Now in the games he looks so timid out there.

That and you throw a double move at the guy and he will bite nearly every time.

I think the problem starts at the safety position. Having an inexperienced corner as we do, he needs help; especially over the top.

The problem starts at the last line of the defense?

To me, the problem starts on the line. They played better today, but they didn't get a lot of pressure on Price. I believe the sacks we had were coverage sacks. We pressured price, but not consistently.

Our secondary will become A LOT different when we get Dennard. He's one of the best corners in the country, and all we have right now are pretty inexperienced guys.

Furthermore, we can't put a lot of this on the defense today. Abdullah muffed that punt and our special teams is still struggling. Field position is continuing to be a problem.

You're right, not a good choice of words there. What I'm saying is I think it is the defense's biggest weakness. Safety was out of position way to many times today. I really believe Green will get better, I can't say that about Cassidy. I believe that's the largest concern that needs to be addressed.

In that sense, I do agree with you. Secondary does appear to be the weakest part. Hopefully, Dennard is going to get some snaps next week and we'll have him back in full swing by Wisconsin.

Just guessing, and it is honestly a guess, I think the coaches may be tempted to give Dijon and Antonio some more time just to see what they can do. Andrew Green was horrid, biting on double moves, again, just like weeks before. Cassidy looked timid and lost at times. Compton and Fisher trying to cover ANYONE in the slot or a TE is dang near laughable.

I thought Josh Mitchell looked solid for his first game.

Coverage could be so much better however if our line could get any push without the need for a blitz. Our front 4 got whipped, again. Yes, Crick had that awesome hit, but that was a complete coverage sack. If Crick doesn't step it up, he is going to cost himself ALOT of money this year if he continues to play like he has.

I do not agree with this at all. He played a great game. Where was Baker Steinkuhler? On the bench for Moore most of the second half. Chase Rome backed up Moore later on. Steinkuhler is not playing well at all. Crick had a few great plays, was doubled nearly every play, held continually, and generally dominated the third quarter. The DE, whoever it is at the time, opposite of Meredith has been blown off the ball all season as well. Ankrah, Williams, Carter, all getting smashed.

Here's what I'll say. There was holding left and right and even though the referees called it sometimes, there was still tons more than what was called. That being said, when the Washington O Line didn't hold, you saw the pressure the D Line got on Price. Also, Dennard is seriously needed back by the Wisconsin game. I think with him on one corner, the safeties can cover how they want to. Again, have you noticed how teams are passing against us? They're down the sidelines and if they are in the middle of the field, it's usually in the form of slant routes which are really hard to guard against man coverage.

Just guessing, and it is honestly a guess, I think the coaches may be tempted to give Dijon and Antonio some more time just to see what they can do. Andrew Green was horrid, biting on double moves, again, just like weeks before. Cassidy looked timid and lost at times. Compton and Fisher trying to cover ANYONE in the slot or a TE is dang near laughable.

I thought Josh Mitchell looked solid for his first game.

Coverage could be so much better however if our line could get any push without the need for a blitz. Our front 4 got whipped, again. Yes, Crick had that awesome hit, but that was a complete coverage sack. If Crick doesn't step it up, he is going to cost himself ALOT of money this year if he continues to play like he has.

I do not agree with this at all. He played a great game. Where was Baker Steinkuhler? On the bench for Moore most of the second half. Chase Rome backed up Moore later on. Steinkuhler is not playing well at all. Crick had a few great plays, was doubled nearly every play, held continually, and generally dominated the third quarter. The DE, whoever it is at the time, opposite of Meredith has been blown off the ball all season as well. Ankrah, Williams, Carter, all getting smashed.

even more revealing, with the passage of time.....how good Suh made Crick and Steiny look......just amazing.

I think getting Dennard back and healthy would be a big boost to our secondary but let's hope that that is all we need.

it's not, until the front 4 get a push, we're screwed....end of story. it is now the offense who will have to carry our D.

Nonsense, the D Line got a push this game (when they weren't being held), and the coverage still broke down enough for Price to find a WR.

I think getting Dennard back and healthy would be a big boost to our secondary but let's hope that that is all we need.

it's not, until the front 4 get a push, we're screwed....end of story. it is now the offense who will have to carry our D.

Nonsense, the D Line got a push this game (when they weren't being held), and the coverage still broke down enough for Price to find a WR.

Push? Yes. Pressure? Not often enough to rely on the front 4 entirely. The point was made above. Two years ago we had Ndamukong Suh. Last year possibly the greatest secondary ever assembled. This year? Average dline play (outside of Crick) combined with below average play by the secondary and you have LBs trying to do everything. Think about it. Would we have had Compton in on 3rd down chasing a TE with the players we had in the secondary last year? No.

We don't have the experienced talent to play in the secondary. If you don't think Dennard will make a huge difference than you don't understand football very well. A corner capable of shutting down an entire side of the field in a Man under 2 Deep zone scheme opens up so many more possibilities for coverages.

Dennard changes this defense. They won't be top 10, but they will be solid.

edit: typo

• Fire 1

Not sure if serious.

Crick was whipped all game, just as he has been this year. I said it a week ago that Crick has constantly been washed out of plays and his motor just hasn't been there all year. Today was no different. Very bad game from him.

Not sure if serious.

Crick was whipped all game, just as he has been this year. I said it a week ago that Crick has constantly been washed out of plays and his motor just hasn't been there all year. Today was no different. Very bad game from him.

Crick has been our third best DLineman at times this year.

Not sure if serious.

I need to watch it again... I find its sometime hard to truly catch this stuff the first time around, but I thought crick had a good game. he made price move his feet a lot... the problem was price. he was extreamly mobile and accurate. that kid is good. I like taylor... he has carried this team, but I think I would rather have price. he would make out offense very balanced.... but that is neither here nor there

Not sure if serious.

read my last post to see my opinion of the dline so far this year.

edit: add to that...I feel Crick is a DE in a 3-4. Not a DT, he doesn't have the right pad level for DT.

I think it goes like this:

1. Carl has misplaced confidence his DL can pressure the QB w/o bliztes.

2. When the DL gets stuffed, this gives the QB time to slice up an inexperienced and less than physical secondary..

3. Or allows him time to scramble for yards himself or with delays.

When the Huskers blitzed, even when they didn't get to him, Price showed he

makes bad decisions under pressure.

There is no shame in blitzing Carl.

See the Fiesta Bowl 1996. Even the best team of all time did it.

• Fire 1