What did we learn???

walksalone

What have we learned, oh yeah, we have a ton of armchair defensive coorbinators on this board. I know i will get slammed for that one, but seriously have some faith in Bo and Carl. Its obvious to me that our coaching staff knows we can beat the teams we played with one arm tired behind our back. That being the case, they have experimented a lot because we were never in any real danger of losing. You won't see much of that from here on out. Bo isn't like Wisconsin's coach who keeps his A players in the whole game because he gets off on running the score up on High School teams. Could we lose this week? Sure could, but we can also win, Wisconsin reminds me very much of the Husker teams of the late 80's and early 90's. We beat up on much lesser teams then got schooled against any real talent. I feel the Badgers are very much a "Paper Tiger." We will see next Saturday, I am hoping for a good game, the Huskers and Bo just may surprise some of you. If we do lose, I like are chances in a rematch even better.

I do not usually bag on announcers but these ones seemed TOTALLY clueless on Carnes.

Tell me if I'm wrong. They talked about how he ran the option all his life and they had a big time option offense at Bradenton. Huh? is all I have to say. I do not remember this from Carnes' highlight tape at all. In fact, I would say Carnes, *including* the play with the good result today, has NEVER looked in his element running the option.

Carnes hasn't looked good running the option so far (he just needs more reps), but I've heard more than once that the offense he ran in high school was a lot like the offense we're running now. I don't know if it's true or not, but I would trust the couple times I have heard that over just looking at his high school highlights tape.

That option pitch by Carnes was poetic, it brought back some very found memories. Also, boy oh boy do we no how to panic!!! By no means is our game against Wisky a automatic loss.

That last option pitch by Carnes was not good. It was accurate, but it was extremely late and dangergous. He needs to be more decisive.

disagree....he waited until his red committed and then made a beautiful pitch that the back would have no trouble handling. I have run that option, albeit not at the college level, and that was a thing of beauty!

• Choi is one of the feel good stories of the season so far. Anyone on the board lamented over the lack of playing time for Rodriguez?
  • Burkhead is the real deal. No weaknesses in his game.
  • Did we make the wrong coach hiring decision in Raymond? The DB's are playing soft and the scheme doesn't seem to work.
  • Martinez is not just a relatively weak passer, he is a liability for the offense. Inaccurate and weak-armed. That will bite us down the road (probably next week) as teams load up the box and dare him to beat them via the pass
  • We have not shown all of our cards on defense. We haven't run a single d-line stunt this year. There is more out there to come.
  • Much like our games, this will most likely be a second-half-of-the-season team. Our young players will grow as the season goes along. The only question is going to be can we hang on until then.

• Agree with Husker Richard on a lot of points... Every time I saw #23... Thorell... on the field for the D, I nearly choked on my drink. On one play, I was literally barking at my dad before the snap that every time he gets on the field, something bad happens. Wouldn't you know it, they snap the ball and BOOM-- Thorell called for defensive PI. It's like he's literally so bad the other team knows it and picks on him. I guess the film doesn't lie.

• Enunwa is a man. This kid is physical like we haven't seen in a while. Well, physical that holds onto the ball, Niles... -_- My dad says Enunwa reminds him of Purify, which would be nice to have back.

• Nice game by Kinnie... I'd say he did all he could to redeem himself, short of making a ridiculous diving catch on Taylor's terrible 3 and out pass on a comeback.

• Impressed by the O-Line again. They consistently got a damn good push when we needed one. We literally didn't have any "what the f, that just got blown up in the backfield" moments when trying to run the ball, which is awesome. Improvement is evident.

• Taylor's decision making it improving week to week. When he threw into double coverage, he was staring down that receiver the whole time, and I commented, "Well, at least he got his one 'what the hell' throw out of the way for this week." Things could always be worse. We could've had a Ricky Stanzi (from Iowa) who seemingly had a weekly pick 6. It is very encouraging, though, that Taylor is beginning to show flashes of making his reads, like when he hit Kenny Bell for that touchdown. He was Taylor's third option. So he's making some reads, and blowing others (Legate... :dunno ). Take the good with the bad. He can be pretty good in the short to intermediate passing game, even if his mechanics and release are garbage. I don't know that his deep ball accuracy will ever get fixed, which we may have to just accept.

• I felt good to see Heard get some action and run hard to earn his TD. He seemed like the RB most getting the shaft in the OOC. It was like he had Rex Burkhead syndrome... always one little block or one player a few more inches out of position to break a big one. And that was when Heard actually got in the game the first three games... seems like he got the least time. Rex has definitely recovered from his bout with this, thankfully.

• Bo is one of the leading minds in college football defense today, and has been for a while. Now, the film is quite clear. Surely Bo isn't missing the fact that teams are gashing us in the short passing game, with slants and quick ins and outs and the like. I believe it must have to be the scheme, as playing our CB's five yards off the WR hopefully was done by design to take away the big gain. I truly believe Bo was doing this to bend and not break. He just really didn't want to give up a huge score like we had in the past. The problem is that Cassidy just plain ain't athletic enough to catch up if caught out of position, and a lot of scores have come on quick slants up the middle where the catch is made and the WR splits the safeties for a score. Now, it's tricky being in the B1G now if they truly are sticklers on DB's being physical with receivers, but I had to think we'll play closer next week to take away the short stuff from Wiscy. At the same time, he probably won't want to give up a big bomb to Toon or Abberdaris. We just need time to gel and get the right combination of guys on the field for defending the pass... which ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT include Compton or Fish trying to look competent in zone coverage. Also, very interesting to see Cooper at CB... I would've liked to see him in Cassidy's spot with Austin riding the pine.

• I'm starting to see what people mean about Fisher... He doesn't play downhill at all. He's very hesitant, and I don't know if it's due to his recovery from the energy or just because he has the instincts of a dead moose.

• Chase Rome saw more snaps yesterday... Just saying. Also nice to say EMart lay a good lick that wasn't on special teams.

• Did Harvey Jackson see any time? I only remember seeing him in the post game prayer huddle.

We learned that we only have 7 days left to fantasize about our beloved Huskers chances for this season. I would love to be proven wrong but unfortunately I have watched every play of the first 4 games.

You're right. We're terrible. We shouldn't even go to Wisconsin next week. All we're doing is wasting our time. You know what? We're so bad, let's not even finish the season. We're just so terrible that we don't even deserve to take the field with D1 teams. There's no reason to live anymore.

Seriously, why was this posted?

You're right. Every team has a chance to win so we should just shut down the message board and quit talking about anything football related because we'll just have to wait and see.

What have we learned, oh yeah, we have a ton of armchair defensive coorbinators on this board. I know i will get slammed for that one, but seriously have some faith in Bo and Carl. Its obvious to me that our coaching staff knows we can beat the teams we played with one arm tired behind our back. That being the case, they have experimented a lot because we were never in any real danger of losing. You won't see much of that from here on out. Bo isn't like Wisconsin's coach who keeps his A players in the whole game because he gets off on running the score up on High School teams. Could we lose this week? Sure could, but we can also win, Wisconsin reminds me very much of the Husker teams of the late 80's and early 90's. We beat up on much lesser teams then got schooled against any real talent. I feel the Badgers are very much a "Paper Tiger." We will see next Saturday, I am hoping for a good game, the Huskers and Bo just may surprise some of you. If we do lose, I like are chances in a rematch even better.

And honestly you should. What the hell is the point of having a football discussion if you can't talk football? I think some of the breakdowns in this thread have been very well thought out and bring up some points that a lot of us haven't thought about. This is quality discussion not useless whining.

• Fire 1
he hit Kenny Bell for that touchdown. He was Taylor's third option.

Was he? I only got one look at that play from afar, and I know the announcers said he was Taylor's third option. On this play, I know Taylor rolled out and found Bell open. But I think these announcers were pretty poorly informed for the most part, which is why I am skeptical. I think Taylor may have had one look from the pocket before he moved out and found Bell (which is a great play!) but I am not sure about third.

I'd say on that play he still looked for different options instead of throwing the ball right away to his first option. He saw no one...rolled out, threatened to run which caused the D to come up and then threw it to a wide open Kenny Bell. He used his legs to open up the wide receivers, was a great play by Taylor, and something he would've never done last year.

And honestly you should. What the hell is the point of having a football discussion if you can't talk football? I think some of

the breakdowns in this thread have been very well thought out and bring up some points that a lot of us haven't thought about. This is quality discussion not useless whining.

Yes, many comments have been very well thought out, but there is some serious over reacting going on as well. I have a right to my opinion also, since this a message board and some/many take this WAY to serious. I love my Huskers as much as the next guy does, but if they do lose this week, the world won't be over. Some get way to upset over a football game, just my humble opinion.

I learn that Tmart is not as bad as I thought, as he is not turning the ball over quite as much as I anticipated.

Also, that I should have appreciated Marvin Sanders when he was here.

Taylor has made a massive improvement in the area of finding open receivers. It seemed like he found them more often than not. He forced some balls to Kinnie for sure, but his crappy throwing motion bailed him out (throwing high on curls is advantageous with a tall receiver)

The problem was, the kid was throwing off of his back foot the entire game. I could give a rat's ass about his arm motion, but if he's not putting his hips and his legs into it, we aren't getting accuracy or full strength out his throws.

Beck needs to emphasize to Taylor how well he's getting the ball to open receivers, but not actually getting the ball to them, and why it's not getting there. His damn footwork. Practice that this week, and we'll see improvements. I believe in our QB's coach this year. It could happen.

The defense is another thing entirely.