This ones on Beck

GI56

I couldn't disagree more. There are so many weapons on offense. The 'Magic' is gone. When will everyone figure it out?

I like what Beck is doing and can't wait until he gets a QB.

Agree 100%. We cannot be a successful football team if our QB cant throw the football. Plain and simple.

Watch the first quarter. He can throw the football.

Then watch the second quarter/first play of the second half. We threw the ball 14 times out of 15 plays. Tim Beck decided that he was Steve Spurrier and he had Danny Wuerffel at QB.

That's not balanced offense. That's not what this offense should be. It's one thing to blame Martinez for not being able to pass well enough to run a balanced offense - but he did, we had a balanced offense that was humming in the first quarter. The problem is, Martinez can't pass well enough to run the fun-n-gun offense, and that's what why we fell apart.

The more distance I get from this game, the more blame I put on Tim Beck for the offensive performance... sadly, the defense was even worse, just no one even knows where to begin on that side of the ball.

I couldn't disagree more. There are so many weapons on offense. The 'Magic' is gone. When will everyone figure it out?

Agree 100%. We cannot be a successful football team if our QB cant throw the football. Plain and simple.

Then watch the second quarter/first play of the second half. We threw the ball 14 times out of 15 plays. Tim Beck decided that he was Steve Spurrier and he had Danny Wuerffel at QB.

That's not balanced offense. That's not what this offense should be. It's one thing to blame Martinez for not being able to pass well enough to run a balanced offense - but he did, we had a balanced offense that was humming in the first quarter. The problem is, Martinez can't pass well enough to run the fun-n-gun offense, and that's what why we fell apart.

The more distance I get from this game, the more blame I put on Tim Beck for the offensive performance... sadly, the defense was even worse, just no one even knows where to begin on that side of the ball.

Yes he threw the football well in the first quarter, and he threw the football well against Okie lite last year. But since he's been a starter, he hasn't thrown the ball well consistently. This year he's completed less than 50% of his passes. In Beck's offense, we cannot survive with a QB that can't complete half of his passes. We can't expect Beck to call plays on every 3rd and long that give Martinez a wide open receiver...No offense works that way. Beck called so many pass plays because our WRs were open. It's not crazy for Beck to expect Taylor to hit an open receiver. This game is on Taylor, not Beck.

Becks does have some culpability. He could have rolled him out, play action, anything other than dropping in the pocket. Anytime Taylor drops straight back in the pocket is a great time to go to the fridge cuz nothing good is going to come from it.

Funny, I would say the same thing about rollouts, especially after tonight...

He can not, and will not, ever be able to 'consistently' make the throw when he has to. Sure, he has proven he is going to make it stick to the wall every once in a while.

Several of us have been saying this for about a year and nothing has changed. It shouldn't be a news flash.

I don't get the Beck play calling thing at all. All these runs that wouldn't work would be eerily similar to Solich or Watson. Like he should have a book that says Martinez can only throw on this down and distance or this many consecutive times. Receivers are OPEN! Teams have been selling out on our run for over year and people still think we should go three an out on three two yard runs. I can't figure it out.

Obviously there is no way for me to prove it, but this offense would be pretty impressive with a 'Decent' QB IMO.

Yes he threw the football well in the first quarter, and he threw the football well against Okie lite last year. But since he's been a starter, he hasn't thrown the ball well consistently. This year he's completed less than 50% of his passes. In Beck's offense, we cannot survive with a QB that can't complete half of his passes. We can't expect Beck to call plays on every 3rd and long that give Martinez a wide open receiver...No offense works that way. Beck called so many pass plays because our WRs were open. It's not crazy for Beck to expect Taylor to hit an open receiver. This game is on Taylor, not Beck.

I should have read this first......you nailed it.

He can not, and will not, ever be able to 'consistently' make the throw when he has to. Sure, he has proven he is going to make it stick to the wall every once in a while.

Several of us have been saying this for about a year and nothing has changed. It shouldn't be a news flash.

I don't get the Beck play calling thing at all. All these runs that wouldn't work would be eerily similar to Solich or Watson. Like he should have a book that says Martinez can only throw on this down and distance or this many consecutive times. Receivers are OPEN! Teams have been selling out on our run for over year and people still think we should go three an out on three two yard runs. I can't figure it out.

Obviously there is no way for me to prove it, but this offense would be pretty impressive with a 'Decent' QB IMO.

You guys aren't recognizing the difference between PA and drop-back passing. Martinez excels in PA, option pass. As Hercules pointed out, it's not just the Beck abandoned the run, he abandoned PA along with it. Martinez is not a drop-back passer obviously, so having him drop-back 12/14 times is just silly. Complete abandonment of 1st Q game plan.

The pass right out of the gate in the second half just blew my mind. I can't bring myself to understand that one.......We have a great group of talented backs between Burkhead, Abdullah, and Green. I think we needed to ride that run game a lot more and keep the ball out of Russel Wilson's hands as long as we could. What a talent that kid is. We could sit here and point fingers all day long because there was really a lot of bad things exposed last night. We all expected that to be the case though didn't we? I mean, there really wasn't a lot of you expecting us to go into Madison and win was there? I predicted 38 -17 before kickoff, I guess Wisconsin felt like they needed to pour it on a little worse than I thought they would.

Anyways...Back to work boys. We can't throw a whole season away because of this one game. But we can't be laying down and giving up once we start losing the damn game either. I know damn well that was the case, and it's pathetic. The only guy on that team who never quit was Rex Burkhead. That it unacceptable. This team needs to quit feeling sorry for themselves and get back into the grind. That is all for now.

Forcing Taylor to throw over and over after he was picked repeatedly made me think of last year's CCG. The play where a short run gets us into field goal range but on 2nd down be have rex throw to Taylor deep downfield out of the wildcat. Watson was criticized by many fans on here with the complaint being Taylor isn't healthy why are we asking him to sprint downfield and make a catch. The play was there but Taylor couldn't bring the ball in. Same thing here. \

Beck has got to protect his qb. I can excuse the first pick. The second one was sad. The third one was Beck outsmarting himself. If you're going to playaction when everyone expects us to run then make it simple. Option pass and take a shot at reid. Taylor had just thrown two picks. You want to catch a defense off guard to start the half go for the home run. You take a big gamble (and the way Taylor's confidence was fizzling it was a gamble) then make the reward high. So Taylor hit's Rex in the flat....that's what he should have done. Did anyone think he would? It was obvious Taylor had lost composure and was looking to redeem himself all in one play so he went for the deeper route.

A coach has to recognize the psychology of the game and Beck blew it.

We knew the defense stunk and was going to give up points. Our only hope was to drain some clock and hope for some turnovers. We panicked. All the way around. The loss is a team loss but Beck really hurt us when we needed the offense to play perfect they were set up to fail.

I think the pass had more to do with Beck trying to get proud and prove we COULD pass, and we couldn't. You get cute and try to get away from the bread and butter, and ask Taylor to do something he ain't good at, and it's going to get ugly for NU. I guess now we can all consider the OKST game last year an anomaly.

Chickenheart, that's the risk we run trying to run that stretch option off tackle. Taylor's got the ball to begin with, and therefore his decision making decides where it's going to go. He's still very very green trying to run it, and therefore I've seen a lot (as I'm sure you all have) of him just taking a couple steps outside and then trying to bust squirt through a hole in the line himself without utilizing the RB at all. Wisconsin just knew what was coming.

Something I'd really like to know after last night... Did Beck answer questions after the game at the presser? I'm definitely not ready to start forming the lynch mob ala Watson, but I really really want to know what he has to say for himself after last night's debacle.

Edit: Irafreak basically beat me to my first point.

Why is it the relatively unknown posters make the biggest splash after a loss? Seems interesting, eh?

Anyways, I feel this one is easier to put on Beck than it is on Martinez. Why? Think back to Bill Callahan's years, specifically his first year when he had to take an entire team designed to run the power run game and turn them into a west coast team. We went 5-6 and missed a bowl.

Beck, similarly, tried to take a quarterback that clearly can't throw the ball consistently well and tried to turn him into a passer. What happened? Three picks that set up 21 points for Wisconsin. Game over. We had a 14-13 lead predicated on what - running the football and using the pass only as a change of pace or to convert long third downs. When this offense tries to base itself ON the pass, rather than use the pass as an off-hand choice, we tend to fail.

How this can be put on Martinez more than Beck, I don't know. I brought up the Callahan part to say that you can't fit a square peg into a round hole, he tried to do with Dailey. Martinez can't throw the ball well enough consistently to win at the college level. The only way Nebraska is going to win football games with Martinez is if we run the ball at least 75%, use the pass when necessary (long third downs or play action), and we find ways to get the ball to the playmakers other than Martinez. Burkhead's god-awful few amount of carries in the first half proved to me that Beck tried to do something he shouldn't have last night.

You can come from behind with the run game, especially in an up-tempo offense like we have.

This one is on Taylor. Wisconsin dared him to throw the football so Beck said okay, we'll have him throw the football. And to an extent (about the 1 1/2 quarters) it was EXTREMELY successful. Beck was calling a great game. Then Taylor threw his first INT, so Wisconsin stacked the box, so Beck had Taylor throw it again because they were stacking the box. And then he threw another INT (a result of TERRIBLE decision making on his part). We could've started the 2nd half out running, and that will be the only thing I'll call on Beck.

The game was more on Taylor making bad decisions and the secondary losing coverage constantly than it was on Beck's play calling. It's a good wake up call, and I hope the team can take something from this game and improve off of it. Sometimes games like this have a way of turning a team around. We'll see.

This one is on Taylor. Wisconsin dared him to throw the football so Beck said okay, we'll have him throw the football. And to an extent (about the 1 1/2 quarters) it was EXTREMELY successful. Beck was calling a great game. Then Taylor threw his first INT, so Wisconsin stacked the box, so Beck had Taylor throw it again because they were stacking the box. And then he threw another INT (a result of TERRIBLE decision making on his part). We could've started the 2nd half out running, and that will be the only thing I'll call on Beck.

The game was more on Taylor making bad decisions and the secondary losing coverage constantly than it was on Beck's play calling. It's a good wake up call, and I hope the team can take something from this game and improve off of it. Sometimes games like this have a way of turning a team around. We'll see.

Put Jammal Lord in last night. Put Tommie Frazier in. Put Scott Frost in. Hell, put ANY of the quarterbacks in we had during the power run game years, and how many of them are truly successful running that offense last night?

I think we are at the point now where one thing is painfully clear - Martinez can't run this offense if we are going to pass inefficiently. What do I mean by that? Well, efficient passing would be this - play action, in need of a conversion or a quick change of pace. If we have 70 plays a game, we should throw only between 10-15 and that's it. But coming out on first, second and third to run three pass plays, when we're not in a hurry up situation, is just ridiculously stupid.

This team can win with Martinez, but we're young everywhere. Stick to running the football creatively like we have been, run AT LEAST 75% of the time, and don't get pass crazy when we're down. There may be growing pains, but we'll have an identity. Garbage like last night is why people constantly harp that we have no identity.