The Latest Quarterback Thread

did anyone actually expect nebraska to win this game? As a fan i hoped nebraska could pull it out but being a realist, nebraska needed some help from wisconsin with some turnovers to have a shot. nebrsaka CANNOT win the "big game." when nationally broadcasted on the big stage, nebraska hasn't won a game (besides 2001 oklahoma) that can even think of. on the hand, i can think of multiple losses on the national level - penn state, miami, usc, oklahoma, virginia tech, even missouri, etc. Furthermore, not only were most of those losses, they were embarrassing! i'm no fairweather fan but i am also a person who is real when looking at nebraska. as long as tmart is at quarterback there will be multiple, embarrassing losses for the next 2 and a half years. beating teams that we are supposed to beat is even sketchy as best (i.e. texas tech, iowa state...). when will husker nation stop sipping the red kool-aid and realize that tmart sucks at qb because he can't make decisions. regardless of his disgusting looking throwing form, defenders have the superpower of invisibility to him. we may as well run pass plays with one receiver going out for a pass cause he only looks at one anyways, or may as well keep 10 in the box to block in case he decides to run. taylor martinez would be a great addition to my flag football team and that's about it. also, when will people start to realize that bo pelini is too stubborn... i like his hard-headedness sometimes but my gosh, you honestly think that he believes we could win a national or conference championship with a 50% passer under center? you'd have to be high on acid to believe that. the good does not outweigh the bad when it comes to martinez at qb. he's a good runner but that's not what a qb is there for. a qb is there to manage the game, lead the team, and make plays when the team is up against the ropes. all 3 of those things i am yet to see from taylor martinez. the 2 people at fault here are taylor martinez and his inability to make quick, smart decisions and the coaches for putting him in there to get laughed at by the whole nation on national television. i beginning to think the offensive coaches have promised taylor martinez and his father the qb role or something, cuz if a guy can't see how pitiful nebraska has been as of late then you are a blind, ignorant citizen of the husker nation. and i can't believe that the coaches have let this continue. the offense has faltered after 4 or 5 games the last 3 years in a row now. the first 2 years it was chalked up to injuries at the qb position (zac lee and tmart)...what's the excuse this year?

Uh...yeah, I think we could have. Our coaching staff deserves an "epic fail" for their gameplan after the 1st quarter.

Wisconsin has been run on this year. We needed to run the ball. We pass the ball and abandon the run WITH THE LEAD? I just don't get it. It's like we're afraid to run the ball because they don't want fans saying "just pass the damn ball" like they did in the 80's and 90's.

If Taylor was calling audibles to passes on all of those plays then I forgive the staff, but I don't think that's the case.

agreed with the failed gameplan after the 1st quarter...but 50% completion percentage on the year is not any kind of recipe for success on the national level. you can't expect to run the ball 80% of the time and win big games consistently. beck ran his offense with todd reesing who wasn't a flashy runner but he was mobile in that he avoided d-linemen. we don't need a freakishly fast qb for this offense to work.

At this point I would prefer that he had a different ugly and ineffective throwing motion than last year.. at least it would point to him working on it.

It would be easier to accept the "he's still young" excuse if he seemed generally humbled by the fact he contributed significantly to a loss (e.g., Oklahoma). Instead he goes into this Me vs. World shell and acts like we don't see how great he is. Maybe he's different when not around reporters?

Anyone wonder why we couldn't design a couple plays with Turner at qb/wildcat? I also found it interesting how Wilson could just sidestep our rush most of the time while our superfast qb just stands there and gets nailed. A lot of questions indeed concerning T-radgic but the biggest question is our D. They'd make T-radgic look good too!!

did anyone actually expect nebraska to win this game? As a fan i hoped nebraska could pull it out but being a realist, nebraska needed some help from wisconsin with some turnovers to have a shot. nebrsaka CANNOT win the "big game." when nationally broadcasted on the big stage, nebraska hasn't won a game (besides 2001 oklahoma) that can even think of. on the hand, i can think of multiple losses on the national level - penn state, miami, usc, oklahoma, virginia tech, even missouri, etc. Furthermore, not only were most of those losses, they were embarrassing! i'm no fairweather fan but i am also a person who is real when looking at nebraska. as long as tmart is at quarterback there will be multiple, embarrassing losses for the next 2 and a half years. beating teams that we are supposed to beat is even sketchy as best (i.e. texas tech, iowa state...). when will husker nation stop sipping the red kool-aid and realize that tmart sucks at qb because he can't make decisions. regardless of his disgusting looking throwing form, defenders have the superpower of invisibility to him. we may as well run pass plays with one receiver going out for a pass cause he only looks at one anyways, or may as well keep 10 in the box to block in case he decides to run. taylor martinez would be a great addition to my flag football team and that's about it. also, when will people start to realize that bo pelini is too stubborn... i like his hard-headedness sometimes but my gosh, you honestly think that he believes we could win a national or conference championship with a 50% passer under center? you'd have to be high on acid to believe that. the good does not outweigh the bad when it comes to martinez at qb. he's a good runner but that's not what a qb is there for. a qb is there to manage the game, lead the team, and make plays when the team is up against the ropes. all 3 of those things i am yet to see from taylor martinez. the 2 people at fault here are taylor martinez and his inability to make quick, smart decisions and the coaches for putting him in there to get laughed at by the whole nation on national television. i beginning to think the offensive coaches have promised taylor martinez and his father the qb role or something, cuz if a guy can't see how pitiful nebraska has been as of late then you are a blind, ignorant citizen of the husker nation. and i can't believe that the coaches have let this continue. the offense has faltered after 4 or 5 games the last 3 years in a row now. the first 2 years it was chalked up to injuries at the qb position (zac lee and tmart)...what's the excuse this year?

Uh...yeah, I think we could have. Our coaching staff deserves an "epic fail" for their gameplan after the 1st quarter.

Wisconsin has been run on this year. We needed to run the ball. We pass the ball and abandon the run WITH THE LEAD? I just don't get it. It's like we're afraid to run the ball because they don't want fans saying "just pass the damn ball" like they did in the 80's and 90's.

If Taylor was calling audibles to passes on all of those plays then I forgive the staff, but I don't think that's the case.

agreed with the failed gameplan after the 1st quarter...but 50% completion percentage on the year is not any kind of recipe for success on the national level. you can't expect to run the ball 80% of the time and win big games consistently. beck ran his offense with todd reesing who wasn't a flashy runner but he was mobile in that he avoided d-linemen. we don't need a freakishly fast qb for this offense to work.

But...we should have been running 80% of the time until they stopped us. I just never felt like they could have stopped the run all night long. For about 5 minutes I thought we were going to wear down their D-line...and then that was gone...

This whole argument is getting weirder all the time. Last year, people had a problem with Taylor because they wanted our offense to be balanced. This year, he successfully ran a balanced attack in the first quarter of a big game, and now we're mad that he wasn't able to run the fun-n-gun.

The argument comes down to the same thing every time. Fundamentals. And not improving on them.

And then the apologists start talking about Frazier and Crouch.

Give the rock to Burkhead 25 times a game and we'll all forget about how bad Taylor's throwing motion is!

Word. Take the ball out of Taylor's hands (so to speak) for a game or two. Let him collect himself, let the O Line MASH somebody, and let the Quadruplets at RB go crazy. Run some reverses with Jamal Turner.

Nobody is expecting this. Everyone expects Martinez to get the majority of touches, but he's not the only guy capable of going house every play.

+1

+1000000000000000000

But...we should have been running 80% of the time until they stopped us. I just never felt like they could have stopped the run all night long. For about 5 minutes I thought we were going to wear down their D-line...and then that was gone...

I've been harping on this point a lot, but why does everyone feel like they could not stop the run all night long?

Yes, we ran a bit on them when the score was 41-14.

Prior to Taylor's first pick, we had 19 carries for 62 yards. Acceptable at best. Taylor broke a run for 7 yards, and another one for 11. I think at least one of these was a scramble. We started off the first drive running well, too, with some consistent gains - but after that, they were doing a good job of stopping the run.

I've been harping on this point a lot, but why does everyone feel like they could not stop the run all night long?

Yes, we ran a bit on them when the score was 41-14.

Prior to Taylor's first pick, we had 19 carries for 62 yards. Acceptable at best. Taylor broke a run for 7 yards, and another one for 11. I think at least one of these was a scramble. We started off the first drive running well, too, with some consistent gains - but after that, they were doing a good job of stopping the run.

19 carries for 62 yards is perfectly acceptable when they're looking to stop the run. If they do that, you throw the ball to open up the running game and keep the defense off balance. We did that very well, to the tune of jumping out to a 14-7 lead.

However, in the second quarter, after Taylor's first pick, we completely abandoned the running game. If Wisconsin doesn't have to defend the running game, we're not going to have success throwing the ball. It was bad play-calling/management/whatever you want to call it. Even Tim Beck and Bo Pelini said so.

It's not that our running game was unstoppable - but it was effective enough to put us in favorable 3rd down situations and pick up some key first downs. It was effective enough to open up our passing game. When we abandoned that running game, everything collapsed.

My grandpa became a Nebraska football fan in the early 1940s. His first twenty years of fandom was the worst twenty years in program history. Whenever we're in meltdown mode these days, it's always great to talk to him and get some perspective. It makes threads like this just seem silly.

Ah, Perspective. Is there anything more needed on HuskerBoard?

• Fire 1

This whole argument is getting weirder all the time. Last year, people had a problem with Taylor because they wanted our offense to be balanced. This year, he successfully ran a balanced attack in the first quarter of a big game, and now we're mad that he wasn't able to run the fun-n-gun.

The argument comes down to the same thing every time. Fundamentals. And not improving on them.

And then the apologists start talking about Frazier and Crouch.

Um, it's not the apologists who bring up Frazier and Crouch. It's people on both sides of the discussion.