Today's Presser

knapplc

You know at first I didn't much care for his attitude at the press conference, but then I started looking at it differently. I'm a cop, as most know, so I tried to put a connection between his position and mine. The connection is that he is constantly under public scrutiny, everyone thinks that they know how to do his job, people constantly tell him how to do his job, people always question what he is doing and why he is doing it, and no matter what he's always going to do it wrong. This happens alot to police officers and I know I don't care for this type of behavior. I'm not going to go crazy on the kid, the coaches will make the right decisions and I would be a little salty too if everyone was bagging on me, which they tend to do and I do get salty. Just a comparison...............

Do you have the ability to admit when you are wrong and have some accountability for performing poorly? That is what is wrong with this audio and the video.

He said he needs to make better decisions....he's tired of being beaten over the head by his mistakes.

Taylor Martinez press conference

:facepalm:

No emotion. No accountablity. Didn't even look like he cared at all.

He is a 20 year old kid. Give him a break.

exactly! He is 20 yrs old. Not 16! Someone needs to tell him to be a man (maybe an unnamed coach from Okie State?), take your lumps like a grown up and stop acting like a kid who didn't get his way.

All the people criticizing Taylor's presser...do you hold yourselves to a high level in the things you do? I see a kid who tries too hard. I see a kid who is way too hard on himself. I see a kid who probably beat himself up all saturday night and all sunday and has heard it from everyone and is now just tired. The kid plays his heart out. He played hurt for most of last year. In the 3rd quarter the kid didn't slide, he took on the tackler...he was still trying and I think he feels underappreciated and he is!

Taylor is a fine athlete who has made some nice strides this offseason. We talked about those strides while we were winning. The kid is not the problem of this team it's the DEFENSE! Beck doesn't get into a shootout and force Taylor to play to his weaknesses if the defense at least slows down wisconsin. We continue to be balanced if the 3 guys in the secondary can figure out how to cover one wide reciever. We stick to our gameplan if the offense doesn't line up wrong on first down. Taylor threw a handful of bad passes. He also threw a handful of good ones. The difference was wisconsin was in the right spots to hurt us the most with the bad ones.

Taylor is the least of my concerns coming out of this game. The defense stinks. Beck needs more experience and to be patient. The penalties need to stop. Taylor is not responsible for any of these. But he's right. He'll be blamed no matter what he does. That's someone who cares MORE about this team than anyone on this board. He can't win with the media or fans and he's sick of being the first person blamed for a loss.

• Fire 4

Nobody here hates Taylor

Don't tell me that when we're having to remove threads ripping into our QB. Maybe everyone didn't see it, but there was a lot of hate directed at him after the game.

I don't hate him. I just think his skillset is better suited for another position. That's all. Since you removed those threads I can't speak to that, but I saw mostly people who are concerned about his ability to play QB. If that's hating then I guess we Nebraska fans are too sensitive.

The name childish name calling is quite prevalent.

T-Ragic? Please. Grow the F up.

Yes he sucked, but he wasn't alone.

Well if you are bold enough to give YOURSELF a nickname, then you should be prepared to deal with unflattering offshoots.

exactly! He is 20 yrs old. Not 16! Someone needs to tell him to be a man (maybe an unnamed coach from Okie State?), take your lumps like a grown up and stop acting like a kid who didn't get his way.

All the people criticizing Taylor's presser...do you hold yourselves to a high level in the things you do? I see a kid who tries too hard. I see a kid who is way too hard on himself. I see a kid who probably beat himself up all saturday night and all sunday and has heard it from everyone and is now just tired. The kid plays his heart out. He played hurt for most of last year. In the 3rd quarter the kid didn't slide, he took on the tackler...he was still trying and I think he feels underappreciated and he is!

Taylor is a fine athlete who has made some nice strides this offseason. We talked about those strides while we were winning. The kid is not the problem of this team it's the DEFENSE! Beck doesn't get into a shootout and force Taylor to play to his weaknesses if the defense at least slows down wisconsin. We continue to be balanced if the 3 guys in the secondary can figure out how to cover one wide reciever. We stick to our gameplan if the offense doesn't line up wrong on first down. Taylor threw a handful of bad passes. He also threw a handful of good ones. The difference was wisconsin was in the right spots to hurt us the most with the bad ones.

Taylor is the least of my concerns coming out of this game. The defense stinks. Beck needs more experience and to be patient. The penalties need to stop. Taylor is not responsible for any of these. But he's right. He'll be blamed no matter what he does. That's someone who cares MORE about this team than anyone on this board. He can't win with the media or fans and he's sick of being the first person blamed for a loss.

Yes, he does try hard; yes, he probably does feel bad. The same thing could be said if you were to promote an average high school qb to the qb of Nebraska. If it were common for a good qb to implode and throw 3 int. in 4 possesions, he wouldn't be catching any flak. People are upset because it is not the hallmark of a good qb, even a running one. This is not to condone sending a player facebook, twitter, or phone messages..

I also find it funny that people think it is "small" to discuss the failings of a "kid". If he was playing for a minor league baseball team at 20, would you still have problems discussing a poor game? There are plenty of skilled professionals that are 20 years old, i.e., mathematicians, musicians. Should they not be able to be reviewed?

Yes, he does try hard; yes, he probably does feel bad. The same thing could be said if you were to promote an average high school qb to the qb of Nebraska. If it were common for a good qb to implode and throw 3 int. in 4 possesions, he wouldn't be catching any flak. People are upset because it is not the hallmark of a good qb, even a running one. This is not to condone sending a player facebook, twitter, or phone messages..

I also find it funny that people think it is "small" to discuss the failings of a "kid". If he was playing for a minor league baseball team at 20, would you still have problems discussing a poor game? There are plenty of skilled professionals that are 20 years old, i.e., mathematicians, musicians. Should they not be able to be reviewed?

his short comings are obvious, listening to his pressers, he does not appear terribly intelligient or at least articulate, maybe he just doesn't understand x's and o's very well?

He's an amateur athlete. Comparing him to professional athletes is like comparing a pre-law college student to a Lawyer. It's a completely unfair comparison.

Just so I understand this correctly, if a highschool baseball player graduates from highschool and plays minor league ball the next year, we can critique. If he decides to grab a scholarship at a university, we cannot?

If it is about being paid justly (they are paid in some form, albeit small), then much of the foundations of grad school are at question as well. Grad students are paid barely enough for room and board, yet are constantly critized and compared with their peers.

Can we critique the job of grad assistants? They aren't paid much more than a player when one accounts for room and board, but somehow they get a "professional" tag vs. an "amatuer" tag.

Just because the University decides they want all the money for themselves and thus makes the "amatuer" vs. "professional" distinction doesn't mean that I have to respect their smoke and mirrors. I hardly call an organization that nets over 60 mil per year (Texas) as running an amatuer sport.

Nobody here hates Taylor

Don't tell me that when we're having to remove threads ripping into our QB. Maybe everyone didn't see it, but there was a lot of hate directed at him after the game.

I don't hate him. I just think his skillset is better suited for another position. That's all. Since you removed those threads I can't speak to that, but I saw mostly people who are concerned about his ability to play QB. If that's hating then I guess we Nebraska fans are too sensitive.

Well if you are bold enough to give YOURSELF a nickname, then you should be prepared to deal with unflattering offshoots.

He didn't give it to himself, and it's an undeniable FACT. But like most of the haters, you'll just make sh1t up with doing any research whatsoever, just to try proving a point.

Just so I understand this correctly, if a highschool baseball player graduates from highschool and plays minor league ball the next year, we can critique. If he decides to grab a scholarship at a university, we cannot?

If it is about being paid justly (they are paid in some form, albeit small), then much of the foundations of grad school are at question as well. Grad students are paid barely enough for room and board, yet are constantly critized and compared with their peers.

Can we critique the job of grad assistants? They aren't paid much more than a player when one accounts for room and board, but somehow they get a "professional" tag vs. an "amatuer" tag.

Just because the University decides they want all the money for themselves and thus makes the "amatuer" vs. "professional" distinction doesn't mean that I have to respect their smoke and mirrors. I hardly call an organization that nets over 60 mil per year (Texas) as running an amatuer sport.

There's a difference between critiquing play on the field, and character assassination.

There's a difference between critiquing play on the field, and character assassination.

Good Point and I agree. But Taylor has to help himself out a little bit there. Even if you just sling some cliche's around in the presser like Bo tends to do. I understand if He didn't want to participate in that press conference, but like it or not he represents the University and he can keep that attitude in the locker room next time. And you know, that goes for all players not just Martinez.

Good Point and I agree. But Taylor has to help himself out a little bit there. Even if you just sling some cliche's around in the presser like Bo tends to do. I understand if He didn't want to participate in that press conference, but like it or not he represents the University and he can keep that attitude in the locker room next time. And you know, that goes for all players not just Martinez.

Eh, I suppose. The coaches know he sucked, the fans know he sucked, and he knows he sucked. But to have to go stand in front of a bunch of pasty journalism majors and have them blast you in front of the cameras... I don't blame him. Some people just aren't comfy in front of the camera, and Taylor is one of those people.

Nobody here hates Taylor

I believe Niles Paul gave him that nickname. Or at least I think he said he did.

EDIT: I was mistaken, actually Paul didn't know where the nickname came from. P.J. Smith said he didn't think Taylor gave the nickname to himself.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_f7c0e708-b6f6-11df-98b9-001cc4c002e0.html

Nobody here hates Taylor

I believe Niles Paul gave him that nickname. Or at least I think he said he did.

EDIT: I was mistaken, actually Paul didn't know where the nickname came from. P.J. Smith said he didn't think Taylor gave the nickname to himself.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_f7c0e708-b6f6-11df-98b9-001cc4c002e0.html

I thought he did, or at least liked it and had people call him that starting his Frosh year. Not sure it is substantiated fact either way, but there was a lot of discussion on this 3 years ago when he showed up before anyone had an axe to grind.

Hunter, if you think I am a hater then you really deal in revisionist history. If anything I tend to lean to the kool aid crowd. However, watching the presser I was extremely disappointed. Everyone wants to call him a "kid," when the reality is that he is a young MAN. Heck he is 21 years old. A part of maturing and being a man is being able to own up to your mistakes and work to correct them, it is also a key part of being a leader. Go ask any young SGT or LT about what they saw out of Taylor yesterday. They may have a different purpose to fulfill, but the traits and skills used are similar and apply universally.