Martinez is 'mad'

bdubb75

I love fair weather Husker fans. Stay Classy.

I love people who argue that criticizing a member of your favorite team if you feel that their performance has been poor makes you "not a real fan". Thinking everybody's just going to say, "That's okay Taylor, you did your best. You get a trophy anyway, because you're special!" is naive, and that's the nicest way I can possibly put it. Fans want the best for their team. If they think that Martinez playing quarterback isn't in the best interest of the team, who the hell are you to tell them they're fairweather fans for saying so?

Do I think that walking up to Taylor in the middle of Spanish class and telling him to stop throwing picks, or telling his girlfriend how much he sucks, or doing crap like that just to make it personal is acceptable? No I don't, but I don't see anybody on this board doing that. I've seen some comments on here about Taylor that are maybe borderline, but for the most part, even the most critical of Taylor's performance as a Husker thus far have no personal ill will toward him. I think it sucks that he's not the next coming of Joe Montana, because I personally think he's a decent kid who's been through a lot so far in his life, and he chose to come to Nebraska. I totally respect that, but that doesn't mean I'm going to will myself to not be frustrated at him when he's performing at a level that I consider below par. It's no surprise, nor is it any injustice, that almost every Husker fan was frustrated at him after Saturday night. That's something you have to deal with as a high-profile athlete on a high-profile team, whether professional or amateur. It's not easy to deal with obviously, but you either learn from it and use it as motivation to play better, or you shrug it off and you subject yourself to the same frustration over and over and over again.

Martinez being 'mad' concerns me. He already tries to force plays right and left - which is probably why he has 12 interceptions in 17 starts - but now it seems like he's going to try and force things even more in order to try and make plays to show up the media that apparently rip him. Hopefully I am wrong, but just his attitude and demeanor make me think this and doesn't really reflect that of a leader of the team.

I still do not believe Martinez is "the QB" that we need to take the team to the next level. He's great for what we have been the last few years: an okay team that wins maybe 9 or 10 games per year and go to a decent bowl game, but I don't think he will ever be anymore than that. Everyone points to the fact that he is still "young". Well, maybe, but I hardly consider 17 starts as being incredibly young. For many QBs, that's over half of their college career. If he's still making the same mistakes at the end of this season, is he still going to be "young"? Exactly when does that number indicate he is not "young" anymore? The excuse is getting more and more difficult for me to buy.

Unfortunately, there is no depth or no alternative to him. Pelini has done great recruiting many other areas of the team, but I think he has utterly failed at the QB position. Maybe it was due to past offensive coordinators/recruiters, but being the head coach, it ultimately falls on him. Hopefully he has learned his lesson going forward, but the last few years at the QB position have been horrid and very difficult to watch.

Martinez has a chance to show he can actually have a good game against a legit defense, so let's see what he can do. In my opinion, this is an important part of his career, whether that be a positive or negative thing, we will just have to wait and see.

t-mart being 'mad' is a construct of message boards and the media. i do not know him, but he seems confident. i am sure he will play the same as always; the best he can.

I'm not sure about that. Yoshi used the word 'mad' when he spoke the other day.

I love people who argue that criticizing a member of your favorite team if you feel that their performance has been poor makes you "not a real fan". Thinking everybody's just going to say, "That's okay Taylor, you did your best. You get a trophy anyway, because you're special!" is naive, and that's the nicest way I can possibly put it. Fans want the best for their team. If they think that Martinez playing quarterback isn't in the best interest of the team, who the hell are you to tell them they're fairweather fans for saying so?

Do I think that walking up to Taylor in the middle of Spanish class and telling him to stop throwing picks, or telling his girlfriend how much he sucks, or doing crap like that just to make it personal is acceptable? No I don't, but I don't see anybody on this board doing that. I've seen some comments on here about Taylor that are maybe borderline, but for the most part, even the most critical of Taylor's performance as a Husker thus far have no personal ill will toward him. I think it sucks that he's not the next coming of Joe Montana, because I personally think he's a decent kid who's been through a lot so far in his life, and he chose to come to Nebraska. I totally respect that, but that doesn't mean I'm going to will myself to not be frustrated at him when he's performing at a level that I consider below par. It's no surprise, nor is it any injustice, that almost every Husker fan was frustrated at him after Saturday night. That's something you have to deal with as a high-profile athlete on a high-profile team, whether professional or amateur. It's not easy to deal with obviously, but you either learn from it and use it as motivation to play better, or you shrug it off and you subject yourself to the same frustration over and over and over again.

It's interesting to me that people think it's socially acceptable to rip someone on an internet message board, but not to his face.

Anyways, about half of the criticism of Martinez that I see anywhere is personal, and not just a level-headed criticism of his decision-making or throwing motion.

This video is a highlight video but the 2 things to me that standout are this: 1) he's always looking down field to make a play - that shows awareness and composure 2) he has a much much much better throwing motion which typically allows for better throws/passes.

This reminds me of the high school footage that proved what a revelation Cody Green would be if we could just get him in the line-up.

t-mart being 'mad' is a construct of message boards and the media. i do not know him, but he seems confident. i am sure he will play the same as always; the best he can.

I'm not sure about that. Yoshi used the word 'mad' when he spoke the other day.

nonetheless, people saying that he is going to have a bad or good game based off of someone saying he is 'mad' is a little beyond our ability to analyze the situation. hopefully he uses it as motivation, but athletes should use everything they can as motivation.

While I understand highlights are designed to sell a player, the things that stand out to me are not really 'editable'. The way he looks down field while scrambling and feeling the pressure is awesome. That kind of stuff isn't easily coached and he seems to have good awareness. I haven't seen him play a down of football and he may not be any better but in that film, he looks to be doing alright. If things keep going the way they are, we'll see him soon enough.

It's interesting to me that people think it's socially acceptable to rip someone on an internet message board, but not to his face.

Are you differentiating between "criticizing" him and "ripping" him?

Here's why I find some of what people have said to his face (or to his girlfriend) unacceptable: Saying something to his face, unsolicited, in the middle of something totally unrelated to football, is tactless. If he asks you for his opinion, okay, great. Be as honest as you want. But just walking up to him out of the blue and saying, "Quit throwing so many interceptions" is a dick move. Bringing it up to his girlfriend is a far more accurate representation of talking behind his back than criticizing him on this forum is, because this forum is an appropriate venue for it. His girlfriend isn't Taylor's sh*t-magnet, nor is she a messenger for the fans to tell Taylor of their frustrations. Again, bringing it up to her shows a lack of tact. This is a discussion forum. Critique's simply a part of discussion. I'm not voicing criticism here because I lack the testicular fortitude to criticize Taylor, Beck, our defensive players, etc. to their faces, I do it because, again, it's the appropriate venue.

Anyways, about half of the criticism of Martinez that I see anywhere is personal, and not just a level-headed criticism of his decision-making or throwing motion.

I'll admit that some of it has been, but that depends on where you draw the line between level-headed criticism and a personal attack.