A Promising Sign

The Omaha World Herald is reporting that before the Wisconsin game Nebraska practiced their 1's vs. 1's for about "10 minutues." Thankfully so far this week they have been practicing 1's vs. 1's all practice. Yes, the players might be a little more gassed by the end of practice, but I think this is going to pay huge dividends for this team in the long run. Check out The Omaha World Herald for more info.

Not to be a smart ass but maybe that is why Beck thought we could move the ball by having Martinez drop back and throw from the pocket. Our secondary play has not been anything a person should use to judge their offensive prowess.

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't want to be the first one to say it.

Not to be a smart ass but maybe that is why Beck thought we could move the ball by having Martinez drop back and throw from the pocket. Our secondary play has not been anything a person should use to judge their offensive prowess.

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't want to be the first one to say it.

^^^This. Plus i'll add to the fact from OP...."10 minutes" is about how long we looked ok the other night. Think "1's v. 1's" for all of practice is a better idea...

You're probably spot on with this observation JJHusker1. If Martinez was hitting open receivers against our 2nd string it possibly could have given Beck a false assessment at Taylor's progress in the passing game. I know we practiced a lot 1's vs. 1's during Fall Camp, so it kind of amazes me that they would go away from that once the season started. I understand you don't want to get your top players hurt in practice, but at the same time you also don't want your players to gain a false sense of themselves by how they perform in practice if they are going up against 2nd string talent.

You're probably spot on with this observation JJHusker1. If Martinez was hitting open receivers against our 2nd string it possibly could have given Beck a false assessment at Taylor's progress in the passing game. I know we practiced a lot 1's vs. 1's during Fall Camp, so it kind of amazes me that they would go away from that once the season started. I understand you don't want to get your top players hurt in practice, but at the same time you also don't want your players to gain a false sense of themselves by how they perform in practice if they are going up against 2nd string talent.

Actually, my intention was to point out that going against our first string, the way they have been playing, probably isn't going change much. Trying to be humorous but unfortunately also realistic. I am currently much more down on our D than I am our QB play. I realize that 3 picks against a team the caliber of Wiscy will kill you but our highly touted D has not lived up to expectations. Based on their hype and last years performance they should have stopped 2 if not all 3 of the subsequent scoring drives. Then maybe Beck doesn't panic and go all Air Correlle(sp) on us. The D needs to start bringing the pain. The real solution in my eyes is to limit putting Taylor in the position where we HAVE to throw deep. I think we get there with much better D, and fewer O-line mistakes. Field position and manageable down and distance. I don't blame Taylor because he isn't that type of QB. Never will be. The people piling on him need to start accepting this fact and temper their criticism with this knowledge.

BTW- I enjoy your comments.

I thought they'd brought this back as a regular part of practice a long time ago! It's crazy that they don't do it. One of my favorite things was hearing the 90s teams talk about how they practiced 1v1s and punished each other. By the time saturday rolled around, the real games were like a vacation. Yeah, you can say that these teams aren't those teams, and they're not, but maybe that's more of an issue of how they practice, not just who they are. If LP and Green didn't have to run through those defenses in practice, do you think they'd have run as well in game? There are a lot of different factors, and I'll bet that sort practice is a significant one.

Actually, my intention was to point out that going against our first string, the way they have been playing, probably isn't going change much. Trying to be humorous but unfortunately also realistic. I am currently much more down on our D than I am our QB play. I realize that 3 picks against a team the caliber of Wiscy will kill you but our highly touted D has not lived up to expectations. Based on their hype and last years performance they should have stopped 2 if not all 3 of the subsequent scoring drives. Then maybe Beck doesn't panic and go all Air Correlle(sp) on us. The D needs to start bringing the pain. The real solution in my eyes is to limit putting Taylor in the position where we HAVE to throw deep. I think we get there with much better D, and fewer O-line mistakes. Field position and manageable down and distance. I don't blame Taylor because he isn't that type of QB. Never will be. The people piling on him need to start accepting this fact and temper their criticism with this knowledge.

BTW- I enjoy your comments.

So you don't think that if our secondary had to practice against the starting receivers more often and for longer duration, they wouldn't both get better? As receivers found ways to beat the secondary, the secondary would, through practice, get better at defending? It's not like they wouldn't improve through practice. That's sort of the whole point of practice.